Roger Waters - In the Flesh Live DVD

Discussion in 'Music' started by Brian L, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I made an impulse buy on this at my local Borders. I thought, for $10, WTF?

What a great disc. I have only gone through the first 3 or 4 cuts, but the sonics are good, and its a true anamorphic presentation.

It is not credited on the jacket as even being WS, although it does refer to it as a hi-def transfer. From the look of it, I would say that it may well have been shot in hi-def video.

Interestingly enough, there is a DD track, and a LPCM stereo track. I am actually liking the sound of the stereo tracks, played back with PL II or NEO:6. I need to play with that a bit more, but the stereo track sound a bit smoother in the high end.

I would surely prefer to see Floyd re-group and do the same setlist, but its a pretty good show.

IIRC, this is also on SACD.

BGL

2. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

I love the version of "Dogs" on that DVD. I didn't like Time or Money, however.

3. Steve Penn

Steve Penn Auditioning

Saw this tour twice and bought the DVD the moment it came out. It knocks your socks off. Great stuff.

4. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I also saw this tour twice that year (MSG and Jones Beach NY) and the DVD is a nice souvenier of those shows.

5. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

One of my favorite concert DVDs!

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Listened to a bit more at lunch (up to Wishing You Were Here). Still very impressed. Quite the band he has there, eh?

I would think its easier for Roger to get someone to sing like Gilmour than it is for the remains of Floyd to try to get someone to sound like Waters; his voice is too distinctive to pull it off, IMHO.

I am correct that Doyle Bramhall II is the guy on the strat coping Gilmour licks like they were his own? Pretty interesting stat; left hand body, right hand neck, played lefty, but strung like a righty (the high strings are on top). The harmony leads with the dude on the Les Paul (Snowy White??) are pretty impressive.

BGL

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

OK, watched a bit more.

I was OK with Money up until Andy Fairweather-Low's solo. Yuck! Way to high in the mix, and it had a really harsh tone. Not at all complimentary to the song. Doyle and Snowy were fabulous, however.

Putting Andy's solo aside, I thought they did a pretty good job or it. If you have ever tried to play the signature lines of Money on the bass, the notes are easy to play, but the song has a certain rythym and swagger to it that is hard to get right.

As one would expect, they NAILED it. And I am really digging the way Doyle tosses in these little SRV flavorings during the solos. I need to check out his solo stuff.

Last comment, and I promise I will shut the hell up....the video is good. Very good. There are some close up shots that rival HD video. Impressive.

BGL

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Uh, no, I don't think he plays Gilmour licks like they were his own. It's probably the wrong choice of words, but Bramhall sounds more technical and exacting while Gilmour is more smooth and bluesy. And it just seems to me that Gilmour can get more mileage from a single pluck of the strings than Bramhall.

At least for the harmony leads on "Dogs", Snowy White's just doing what he's done before: he was the backup guitarist for the Floyd's 1977 tour (which was also named the "In the Flesh" tour) and The Wall concerts.

Dogs is one of my very favorite Pink Floyd songs, but I think on this DVD the performance is almost by-the-numbers. Les Claypool and the Fearless Flying Frog Brigade put more life into Dogs than this. Now that's a live performance of Dogs that is not to be missed.

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Fair enough, I guess I will concede that point. He did stay pretty close to the the original licks on certain key parts, but I still enjoyed some of his own stuff blended in.

As for Les Claypool, I have not heard all that much of his playing (and what I have heard was with Primus). While his technical prowess is undenied, I find him to be somewhat of an acquired taste (which I have yet to fully acquire!).

Then again, hearing an alternate interpretation of "Dogs" does sound interesting.

BGL

10. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

"And I am really digging the way Doyle tosses in these little SRV flavorings during the solos. I need to check out his solo stuff."

I have 2 of his CDs. Jellycream is his latest effort. He is an acquired taste. Very melancholy and less SRV bluesy if you ask me. If you want some GREAT Doyle pick up a CD by a group called Arc Angels. They, simply put, are amazing. You'll love it. [​IMG]

11. David Fisher

David Fisher Stunt Coordinator

I'll second that Arc Angels nomination.