Roger Waters - In The Flesh - Is it anamorphic?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Hendrickson, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Chad Hendrickson

Yesterday I picked up Roger Waters - In The Flesh Live.

Looks great! Sounds great!

I was pleasently surprised to see that the concert is in widescreen. It looks like 1.77:1 aspect ratio. This contridicts what I had previously read where they said it was full screen 1.33:1.

My question...

Is it anamorphic?

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    You can tell us...

Go into your DVD player's setup menu and switch your television screen shape from 4x3 (or 4x3 letterbox) to 16x9 widescreen.

Then play the disc...if everything looks squished, and the picture fills the screen with no black bands, then it's anamorphic.

- Steve

3. Michael St. Clair

The disc is most definitely anamorphic. At first the menus scared me as they are strictly 4:3.

However, I find much of the footage to be either over compressed and/or heavily filtered. Am I the only one who sees this?

Any Floyd fan who likes live vid must buy this disc as many of the versions of the songs are better than the ones on Delicate Sound of Thunder or P.U.L.S.E.

4. Chad Hendrickson

On the official Roger Waters web site:
    Roger Waters Web Site
    They have this message:
    MESSAGE - WIDESCREEN TV OWNERS
    To view the "In The Flesh - Live" DVD in the correct aspect ratios, the following adjustments are required:
    Widescreen 16x9 Television - DVD player set to output 16x9:
    For menus and all "added value" material: Set TV monitor to 4x3
    For main program: Set TV monitor to 16x9
    NOTE: No adjustment is necessary for Standard 4x3 Televisions

5. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

I enjoyed the concert...heck I'd enjoy anything by Pink Floyd and Roger Waters. However, the audio was not the best I've heard. There was a muddiness, with a hint of bass boominess to the overall presentation. I'll admit to be spoiled by the DTS sound of AC/DC's "Stiff Upper Lips" DVD effort just prior to watching this concert, but still, Roger is known for producing technically superior audio material. This one just doesn't fit that standard, or maybe I was expecting too much.

6. Richard Fernandez

Richard Fernandez Stunt Coordinator

Excellent audio & video, nice behind the seen footage too! Now all we need is PINK FLOYD LIVE IN POMPAII in 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen and in dts. [​IMG]
    Later
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. David James

David James Stunt Coordinator

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun and Welcome to the Machine are on my copy [​IMG]
    It all Looks and sounds great to me. I thought the musicianship was outstanding. Great addition to my collection.