Roger Waters In The Flesh: How is it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,

Anyone out there have an opinion on this disc's performance and recording quality?

I am thinking about getting the SACD version. I saw it on a few lists in the Top 5 thread.

Thanks,

Lee

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, I love In the Flesh -- Live, but I wouldn't call it one my five best-sounding SACDs. It sounds quite good, but not among the best SACDs I own. I love it because it is the only way to get Pink Floyd classics on SACD.

One thing to note is that many people, myself included, have had problems playing the Waters SACDs on Sony multi-channel SACD players. TOC errors are common on the 'CE775, 'C222ES, and 'C555ES. When I get a TOC error on the 'C555ES, I just load the disc again, and the player always seems to read the disc fine the second time. Also, I have not had any problems loading these discs on my '777ES or 'C333ES, so I am guessing you will have no problems playing them on your '777ES.

3. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Lee,

I concur with Keith. Well worth it to get Pink Floyd classics on SACD and multichannel as well. And for me it sounds pretty damn good. My only negative is that they recorded this onto SACD at a relatively low level, so if you really wanna immerse yourself you have to pump up the volume...

Eric.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, one more thing that is interesting about In the Flesh -- Live. I suspect that the album was recorded in QSound because the stereo SACD track gives a sense of surround sound. In particular, I get a sense of the crowd being all around me. It's pretty cool. [​IMG]

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jack, now that you mention it, I recall an acknowledgment for QSound in the booklet (the CD and SACD come with the same booklet). Thanks for mentioning it. I want to get the CD for my car and the office (computer). However, I doubt I will get the QSound effect in those environments. [​IMG]

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Guys,

Thanks for the heads up. I will purchase tomorrow.

Pink Floyd on SACD...oooooh!

Lee

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, no problem. Enjoy it!

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Listening now...great disc!
    A good way to spend the day off. [​IMG]
    Lee

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Great, Lee. I agree that listening to SACD is a great way to spend a holiday.

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I love these 2 discs!
    My only complaint is that I miss David Gilmour's guitar work. The guitar here is good but misses on some of the more complicated pickings...
    Still, a good recording and performance by Roger Waters.
    I wonder if a reunion tour could ever happen with the whole gang back together? Just do it, if even for the money...oh yes, and send the Sony DSD crew to the stadium for the engineering.
    [​IMG]
    Lee