What's new

Roger Waters Berlin Wall DVD April (1 Viewer)

Richard Fernandez

Stunt Coordinator
BERLIN WALL DVD
TO BE RELEASED IN
APRIL 2003

Roger Waters massive Wall concert in Berlin 1990 is to be released on DVD in April it has been confirmed. The DVD will feature the following extras.

5.1 surround sound (supervised by Roger Waters)
30 minute documentary about the lead up and days events
Animated feature by Gerald Scarfe
Design feature by Mark Fisher
Unseen footage showing Rupert Everett as Pink
Gerald Scarfe and Roger Waters commentary option

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news.

I wonder if they'll mention the sound failure and subsequent re-shooting of one of the songs though?

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
While I love Roger Waters and everything Pink Floyd, the Berlin The Wall left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe it was O'Conner's version of MOTHER. Learn the freaking song! But I'll probably get it as a Floyd fan can't pass up on anything released. Anyone get the Gilmour DVD? I've heard good and bad things about it.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I have the VHS. What the hell happened during "Don't Leave Me Now"? The picture looks like the camera was just spinning continuously around in a room with posters on the wall.

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
Jordan,

The Gilmour DVD is pretty good - I love his guitar rendition of the intro bits for Shine On...

CK

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, ChrisKe
I was on the fence, but getting the SACD of DSOTM has me in the mood for more Floyd, even solo stuff.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I agree with ChrisKe. Only David Gilmour could distill the first half of "Shine On" down to its pure essence and play it on an acoustic guitar. But my favorite track on the DVD is the second half of "Shine On" when he plays lap steel.

I'm not sure if I'll buy The Wall Live in Berlin. I never bought the CD, but I did buy it on cassette. I just don't recall any really stand-out performances and it didn't rise above the novelty factor for me.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
I have this on tape, not sure if I'll get the DVD, but I do enjoy the Waters/Scarfe commentary on "The Wall" so that might push me over the edge. I thought most of the performances were well done, nothing stands out as being particularly unenjoyable, except for maybe Comfortably Numb.

I didn't know anything about this...what's the story?

Chris

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know anything about this...what's the story?
During one of the early numbers - I think it was Baby Blue - (the song with German singer Ute Lemper) the sound dropped. I was at that concert and remember everything seemingly grinding to a half for a minute or so. The live broadcast was a bit more revealing, showing Waters coming out to the front of the stage, at first looking a bit p****d off then opening his arms out to the audience as if to say "Sorry folks!". The sound then kicked back in and things carried OK.

When the concert was released on video, that song had been changed. Gone was the sound drop and Waters' gesture to the audience, replaced by what seemed to be a reshoot of Lemper and Waters singing the song - complete with Roger hiding is mouth behind the microphone so as not to spoil the lip-synch.

I must say also, that The Band's contribution to 'Mother' was truly appalling. The singing was atrocious - really, really poor stuff. Again, the video release had been altered slightly and what was almost embarrassing to listen to suddenly sounded 'ok'.

Apart from that though, the concert was pretty incredible to witness in person. The stand-out moment was probably Joni Mitchell singing Goodbye Blue Sky. What you can't appreciate from the video or DVD is the sheer scale of that show. 250,000 people in that audience, a stage several hundred feet wide, enormous puppets appearing over the 'wall', a helicopter buzzing around at key moments - and then final, massive collapse of the bricks. Stunning stuff, it really was.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Thanks Rob, I didn't know that..things looked to run smoothly on the tape, especially considering the massive scope of the show. Yes, the dichotomy of "Mother" Sinead's brilliantly haunting voice during the verses, then the horrid sounds of the Band during the chorus. I like how Waters looks like he goes over to them to help them out. And I've never been a Van Morrison fan, I don't know too many people who could ruin "Comfortably Numb" for me. Glad you could attend Rob. Definitely once in a lifetime.

Chris

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I've been on the fence about picking up the laserdisc but now I'll definitely be picking up this dvd.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Overall a great disc (I still have the LD), but my personal disappointments include:

Cyndi Lauper hamming it up during ABITWptII
Snowy White bastardizing David Gilmour's Comfortably Numb solo
Jerry Hall as the groupie(ugh!!) - way-y-y-y overacted...could have used somebody younger and cuter, like Samantha Fox :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks