Roger Waters, "Amused To Death"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JordanS, Dec 10, 2002.

1. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

"Amused To Death" is one of the best CD's of the 90s!
    From the amazing intro "The Ballard of Bill Hubbard" to "Too Much Rope" to the end with "Amused To Death", I can't find an average song on this CD.
    If this CD had serious musical influences by David Gilmour and Richard Wright, it could be perhaps my favorite "Pink Floyd" CD. However, "Animals" is pretty difficult to top IMO.
    Jeff Beck plays the solo guitar and does a pretty nice job on it.
    My favorite song on the whole CD is "What God Wants Part 3" which is an awesome vocal performance by Roger Waters (his voice in this album is a little shaky) and an absolutely AMAZING guitar solo by Jeff Beck. This song is my favorite Roger Waters Solo song, and my favorite Roger Waters CD.
    Here is the question my good friends, how about "Amused To Death" vs. "The Division Bell?"
    [​IMG]

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Well that should open up a can of worms. I think I'll sit back and watch.

Well, I'll make just one comment. You are right, "Animals" is pretty difficult to top.

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I've mentioned this before in other Floyd threads: philistine that I am, I do not "get" Animals. still don't.

perhaps I'm a "fair weather" Floyd fan, who only "gets" the obvious stuff like DSotM, WYWH and Wall?

and in case anyone wonders (or cares), I _really_ don't "get" Piper. Meddle's not too bad though.

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

5. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Still haven't gotten around to Amused To Death, but anyone who hails Animals prompts me to make sure and check it out sooner than later! How does Amused stack against Radio KAOS? I've been dipping into that one more lately. "Who needs information?"

6. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

I tried to enjoy Amused to Death when it came out and finally threw up my hands and admitted my dissapointment. I've pulled it out recently and oddly enough I like it even less now. I would have expected it to "age" like most albums that I don't initially like.

Waters could afford to be a little heavy-handed in his political preachings before, when he at least had Gilmour. With great music carrying those tunes, he could have written about anything - and lucky for us, he wrote such fantasic things as he did in the 70s.

But he has become such a twisted, bitter old man that it makes me sick. He freely criticizes other musicians for having no talent, and on this album, even accuses Andrew Lloyd Weber of stealing one of Floyds riffs. Roger, have you listened to this crap? Perhaps if you wrote another WYWH I could take all these rantings seriously!! Ahh!!!

And his vocal style (which you correctly referred to as shaky) is indeed painful to listen to. IMHO of course!

Sigh. The rantings of Floyd nut. Thanks for listening. Other opinions please??!!!

7. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

Love Radio KAOS though, by the way.

8. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Funny thing to me is that from the IN THE FLESH DVD, Waters appears to have become less embittered to me, looking quite at ease on the stage and in the behind-the-scenes feature on the disc. He seems also very loose on the PINK FLOYD THE WALL commentary for the DVD. Maybe he was just pissy that day on the Webber comment; I've had those kind of days!

9. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

Unfortunately, Waters exploits the loud/soft dynamic FAR too much for me to enjoy his solo work. But I will say that ATD is the best Floyd-related album since Final Cut.

10. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I'm not fully qualified to comment on Water's solo work, since it's mainly limited to In The Flesh, and to a lesser extent Final Cut (which I've heard but don't own). and I will state my bias for Gilmour-related work, whether with or without Waters, so take the following with that in mind.

Timon's observation about Waters's preaching with Gilmour's music backing him up is IMHO spot-on. The Wall is, in many ways, a very "heavy" and "preachy" album, with its rather dark themes, but remains very accessible and listenable. in contrast, tracks on In The Flesh from Waters's own albums or Final Cut get a bit grating sometimes, e.g. his explicit condemnation of Thatcher and the Falklands War (but let's not get into politics here). way too much heavy social commentary for me when all I want is to listen to some tunes.

Gilmour, sadly, is the opposite, his music is beautiful, but the lyrics are rather bland. hence their peak when they both worked as equals (whether in harmony or not) in the DSotM to Wall era.

sounds a bit like the Elton John - Bernie Taupin combination in some ways (although of course the type of music written by those two gentlemen is completely different from Floyd), where the individual sum of the parts is much, much less than the whole.

11. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I don't mind Waters' political rants a long as I get a good tune out of the batch, but I really can't get into Gilmour's solo work at all. Sorry all you Gilmour fans, but give me Roger's stuff any day.

12. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

"Amused To Death" bores me to tears. Is it to much to ask for a song in there somewhere? Just one song? No, a guitar solo with Waters croaking out doggerel while random sound effects play does not qualify as a song.
    Well, OK, that's a bit harsh. [​IMG] "The Bravery of Being Out of Range" is an OK track, and "What God Wants Part XVICLX" (or whatever) is diverting the first few times through. But the rest of it is a tuneless snooze. I mean, ol' Rog even has to wake you up with a huge explosion halfway through.
    Yes, I appreciate that Waters has something to say beyond, "Baby, can i get in your pants?" And I like adventurous song structures as much as the next guy. But this stuff is harsh medicine, and I don't get much out of it in the end except "The world sucks. People are stupid. War is bad. Religion is bad. I hate Andrew Lloyd Webber. The aliens are laughing at us."
    Even worse, it has Don Henley on it. Gah.
    Ryan