What's new

Roger Ebert's 'The Great Movies' Bi-Weekly Column (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I'm guessing he will eventually get around to
Wages of Fear and/or Les Diaboliques
Ninotchka and/or To Be or Not to Be (any Lubitsch, for that matter)
Sullivan's Travels and/or The Miracle of Morgan's Creek
Tampopo
East of Eden and/or Rebel Without a Cause
A Star is Born
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Bringing up Baby and/or His Girl Friday
and, of course, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls ;)
Regards,

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I have to second that essay. It's a brilliant read. Short, insightful, honest, and enthusiastic. I don't agree with everything Roger said (but I never do), but as usual, my respect for him as a scholar and a genius grows. He's a rare breed in his business, because there are so few like him. His respect for the artform of cinema is a wonderful thing. Cinema, like all art, is about understanding truths, human or otherwise. I'll be getting that book...and trying to mark the films off:D
Thanks for the link, Richard.
Take care,
Chuck

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Good stuff.

I heartily second what Chuck just wrote.

Ebert is a great influence as a critic, IMO, precisely because he loves cinema (it's not just a "job" at all to him), and he writes so well. Even when I disagree with him, I can at least understand what he was thinking and feeling when he came to his conclusion. I can't say that about very many other movie critics.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
I feel Ebert's bi-weekly listing is a great resourse on the greatest films ever made.
While I don't always agree with Ebert I do think he's a good essayist on film. For each applicable film I reference his "Greatest Films" as a resource on my DVD list/page in my sig.

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
The subject says it all. Does anyone know Ebert and correspond with him regularly?
The only reason I ask is because I'm very impatient sometimes and I'm curious as to what are some of the upcoming films he'll be re-visiting for his bi-weekly column, The Great Movies.
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatmovies
Anyone have the foggiest idea? I know what you're going to say.
Be more patient and just wait for the full essay to get posted.
But I must know NOW, I simply MUST.
Carrol

Terry H

Second Unit
The only reason I ask is because I'm very impatient sometimes and I'm curious as to what are some of the upcoming films he'll be re-visiting for his bi-weekly column, The Great Movies.
If you are simply looking for more movie greats try here: http://www.filmsite.org/
It even has an Ebert connection: "Twice selected by Roger Ebert as one of the year's Best Movie Sites on the Web, in two issues of Yahoo! Internet Life Magazine (Jan. 1998 and June 1999)"
Lots of information and If you are looking for recommendations it has several "best" lists.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
My list of five films that I feel should have made the list and I am greatly surprised that they are not already on it.

1) Amadeus

2) Gandhi

3) The Usual Suspects

4) The Sweet Hereafter

5) Joy Luck Club

I am even more surprised that these films did not make the list, while a mediocre film like 'Greedy' made it.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
I am even more surprised that these films did not make the list, while a mediocre film like 'Greedy' made it.
Ebert reviewed Erich von Stroheim's 1925 film "Greed" for the Great Movies column, not the 1994 film "Greedy", directed by Jonathan Lynn and starring Michael J. Fox and Kirk Douglas.

Is that the film you were thinking of perhaps? If not, then allow me to strongly disagree. I think Greed is an excellent film, well worthy of Ebert's column.

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
Another thing...check out this
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_...07/072201.html
Billy Wilder's The Apartment was reviewed in July of 2001 for the Great Movies column.
AND it's in the Great Movies book. However, if you go to the list at the Suntimes website, it's not there.
Also, what happened to King Kong? Wasn't it added recently too? It's not on the the page...
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatmovies
Perhaps I'm getting a bit obsessive over this, but I'm trying to get EACH and ever film from Ebert's list on dvd or vhs (dvd if it's available) and finding gaps is making it hard...

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
One of my former students pointed out to me that the 3/4/02 Great Movies column, regarding Fall of the House of Usher, included a citation to "the critic Mark Zimmer." Obviously, Mr Ebert is insightful and highly deserving of a Pulitzer ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks