Roger Ebert's Health

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DennisP, Feb 22, 2003.

1. DennisP

DennisP Stunt Coordinator

We just finished watching his TV show and he did not look well. His mouth had a noticeable "droop" on the left side. He mentioned he had a surgery a couple of weeks ago. Anyone have any info on his current condition? He is my favorite critic and I want him to stick around for the next 50 or 60 years.

(I did a search and didn't see anything pop up for him..so I thought I'd post the question)

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I wish him well, but how does this directly deal with DVD software?

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I hope he gets well...he's the only film critic I trust the most.

And he's one of the few critics who wasn't afraid to give perfect scores to Dark City, Shrek, and Being There.

4. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

He had surgery for thyroid cancer I believe. It was his second treatment in the past two years and he is going to have a full recovery they said.

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Yes, I too want Roger around for a long time. Whether you agree with his critiques or not, we should all appreciate him as an extremely knowledgable film historian and a true lover of cinema. Some critics don't even seem to have a true passion for cinema. Roger offers honest and intelligent reviews. Maybe he's even rubbing off on Roeper who seems to be maturing in his seat next to Roger lately. I couldn't stand Roeper for the longest time.

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

8. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Count me among the well-wishers.

Roger's got a lot more movies left to watch.

9. Nick C.

Nick C. Second Unit

anyone recall how long Siskel was off air before passing? I recall there were reports he was recovering from his cancer (brain?) so the news of his death was quite surprising

10. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

You know, while watching the Pulp Fiction extras disk I couldn't help but be reminded, as I watched the S&E "Pulp Faction" segment, just how much I miss Gene Siskel.

Damn it.

11. David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein Stunt Coordinator

My wife had the same surgery for Thyroid Cancer a few years ago and it was 100% treatable and she had a very quick recovery.

12. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I'm sure that we all wish Roger well.

IMHO, he is the best that we have.

An extremely fine human being...

A writer with an incredible passion for film and film history, who is never shy about taking a stand...

and to the best of my knowledge, our only Pulitzer Prize winning film critic.

I always look to Roger's thoughts first.

13. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

That's the kind of story we need to hear more often! [​IMG]

14. andrew markworthy

Just to endorse the remarks - thyroid cancer sounds alarming, and obviously needs treatment, but in a high percentage of cases can be treated successfully. My mum had it 30 years ago and was still going strong when I spoke to her on the phone about an hour ago, and a friend of my wife had it last year and has made a full recovery.

I sincerely hope Mr Ebert has a good many years left. He's not hugely known in the UK, but I make a point of reading his column on the Net and I dearly wish a Brit TV company would show his series. Most of our movie critics are either braindead ('Police Academy 23 - the best one yet!' etc) or alternatively so intellectual they've disappeared up their own bottoms.

15. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

I wish Roger all the best. Siskel passing was bad enough - we don't need two.

Yes, I too want Roger around for a long time. Whether you agree with his critiques or not, we should all appreciate him as an extremely knowledgable film historian and a true lover of cinema. Some critics don't even seem to have a true passion for cinema.

I'll agree, but being knowledgeble of film history, does not make a great critic.

Roger offers honest and intelligent reviews.

I totally disagree. Roger is one of the most biased film critics and has a rather strong agenda that he is very good at glossing over.

and to the best of my knowledge, our only Pulitzer Prize winning film critic.

Jim Murray wrote about what many consider a rather base part of American culture, sports. But he wrote about it in a way that compares favorably with our greatest writers. If Ebert won a Pulitzer it would be a demeaning of the prize.

16. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Geeze, Ashley, did Ebert kill your dog or something? His politics can be obvious in his reviews, but I've always enjoyed his reviews. He's very fair to genre movies (i.e. he likes them if they're well-done), which is fairly rare in a critic and can write scathlingly hilarious reviews of crap. Plus his tastes are fairly similar to mine.

17. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Ashley,

Thanks. Your fart makes the other posts look even more sincere. As if that was necessary.

Cees

18. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

So Mr. Ebert has an agenda. We all do. That's what makes us human beings and not animals. We think, we discuss, we have opinions. I wish Roger well.

19. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Although I find my tastes differing rather strongly at times, I never miss the weekly website updates, since it's always writing worth reading. Here's to many more years of reading his writing, and his good health.

To the Movie Answer Man, and one of the best critics : Thumbs way up![​IMG]

20. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G