What's new

Roger Ebert's Fourth Annual Overlooked Film Festival slate announced (1 Viewer)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Vickie M. said:
I wish he'd do this in Chicago :frowning:
I'm not trying to be a brat, but I'm glad he doesn't. :)
A lot of the charm and pleasure of the festival is that it takes place in a smaller, more relaxed environment. I have nothing against Chicago, but holding this in a big city would make it something totally different. (I also think part of the purpose is bringing films like these to an area that doesn't typically get the chance to see them theatrically. For those who doubt cities the size of Champaign/Urbana won't support some of the more eclectic choices, well, that wasn't my experience last year.)
I will most certainly provide a report upon my return.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
For those lucky enough to go, some words of advice from a newbie:
Don't miss Wonder Boys, and cut out early for the night and skip A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries. Bad movie. :frowning:

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
[/quote]
Don't miss Wonder Boys, and cut out early for the night and skip A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries. Bad movie.
NOOO, I absolutely disagree! I liked this film in the theater and would like to see it again. It's slow-moving and talky, one of those films where there's no real plot, it's just a slice of character life, but there's nothing wrong with that if you quit waiting for something to "happen." The acting is great, and Leelee Sobieski really shines. I would recommend that people stay. I agree with you about Wonder Boys though.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
David,
I think it has been addressed above, but the format is overlooked. Ebert has said many times that there many types of "overlooked-ness". Obviously many people are aware of Patton, but it will be screening in 70mm, which I don't expect is an every day occurrence.
I liked A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries when I saw it a couple years ago, so I'm not going to be skipping it. Unless something that is showing is something you despise, it's worth staying for all of them if you have the festival pass.
I've already seen seven of the fourteen (Diamond Men and the anime Metropolis within the past month), but I'm fine with seeing some things again.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
You guys are lucky to have this kind of a festival. Every effort should be made to support this event. I know I would and as such, I'm jealous. :frowning: Maybe a trip to Chicago next year. :)
~Edwin

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Mark P. .......
Thanks. :)
(Are you, by chance, ANY relation to one of my all-time favorite screen babes, Michelle P.? :))

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
No dice on making it this year. It isn't that long of drive for me, but I don't have any vacation time coming up. Is the festival held at roughly the same time every year? I would definitely set aside some time next year if that is the case.

Bruce

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised to see Grand Canyon on the list; I remember it as being mediocre.

I strongly urge, however, anyone who has not seen Say Amen, Somebody to do so. A film that is pure joy.

Jon

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
David, no, as far as I'm aware, I'm not related to Michelle Pfeiffer.

Bruce, the festival is around the same time each year. Last year's was April 25-29. (There's a brief window for him to schedule this as he needs to get it in before Cannes and after the festival he does on a cruise ship.)

Really, no one should be "surprised" by any of the selections if they know how Ebert reviewed them.

Jarod M

Stunt Coordinator
I was just at the ticket office, and as expected, both Patton and Metropolis (the silent version accompanied by the Alloy) are sold out. So to anyone who was planning on buying individual tickets for these movies at the last second, you're out of luck.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I'll have more full reports, hopefully on the website, as the week progresses, but I thought I'd poke my head in here and let you know some of what happened. Generally speaking, though, this was a great festival, although I preferred last year's overall (but that may be colored by the fact that last year may have had the "newness" factor too).

Highlights...Fritz Lang's Metropolis with live music from the Alloy Orchestra. This was absolutely amazing. It probably didn't hurt that I was sitting about five feet from the three man band, but wow, the music was stunning coupled with the film. I'd never seen it, and what a totally insane, and great, movie. There's more ambition in a frame of this film than in entire movies made today. It's an unfair comparison, I suppose. Still, an unforgettable experience. Go see the Alloy Orchestra if they're playing anywhere near you.

Say Amen Somebody with the Barrett Sisters performing on stage afterwards. The three gospel-singing women in their 70s had the audience in the palms of their hands. They sang for about 35-40 minutes and had the nearly full house standing and clapping.

Patton in 70mm was unbelievably sharp. Most films should look this good. Shown on the Virginia's enormous screen, it was magnificent. The opening scene with George C. Scott standing in front of the flag was remarkable in that in shot where the flag fills the screen, he is approximately the height of the real Patton.

By no means were these the only good things, but they were the three that jumped out the most to me. I really got a kick out of hearing Paperhouse director Bernard Rose scathingly criticize the Hollywood machine and detail some of his experiences. He wasn't afraid to name names or provide very specific examples of the foolishness he's encountered. It was also quite special when Ebert called Kwik Stop writer, director, and star Michael Gilio to the stage on Saturday night and informed him that his film had won Best Direction at the Buenos Aires Film Festival.

I'm still recovering from the mostly sleepless nights (which happens if you go to everything, which I did, more or less) and getting back to work, but I hope to get some reports posted on dvdmon.com this week. It's going to be tough since the screening schedule this week is pretty intense, but I did get some writing done at 2:00 a.m. at Steak and Shake.

It was good to meet Jarod during the festival. Hopefully he'll share some of his experiences (even though he should have stayed for Grand Canyon and better have made it to Say Amen, Somebody). I look forward to next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks