What's new

Roger Ebert reviving "At the Movies" on public TV (1 Viewer)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I just emailed the Director of Programming at my local PBS affiliate and cc'd the General Manager to request Ebert's show. I'm in Florida too and my station is not on the list. I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Peace,

DM

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just let it be this kind of good...

I love the old.. the real old.. so many movies I've discovered watching old episodes of Ebert & Siskel..

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Thanks matt!

Lots of old shows get rerun, I know I'd tune into these religiously.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This guy has almost EVERY episode of Ebert & Siskel going back to the 1970s, and he's upping them all.. a few have linked them, it is brilliant, and I've found watching "Best of 198x" series a bunch of films I have nearly forgotten about that I have gone back and enjoyed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gradepoint

I should add: anything prior to 1986, which was destroyed (literally, declared destroyed by the TV network in Chicago, prior to Buena Vista) has been released of all copyright holds, so it's free for him to do whatever; and since Buena Vista twitter and those on the programming have also linked his shows for their feedback, I view it as "authorized" as all parties have linked to him, defeating their ability to say they knew and attempted to shut him down.. more then that, as a news media program, not an entertainment program, it falls under different protection standards and so, fair use policies are very different. I just say that to point out before we think anything otherwise. I was very glad to find this linked a few months ago from a studio who pointed to it in a retro ad, and since others use it as a reference, I think it's worth the mention :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I watched S&E religiously from the mid 80s through the late 90s.

Thanks for the heads up, Ill have to check out some of those vids.

Edit: Thinking about it, I think the show where they reviewed Aliens, might be the one that got me watching them.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
More info is up about the show's hosts and contributors Ebert's blog:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/ebert_presents_at_the_movies.html

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Where is this station list and is Massachusetts getting it?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
As far as I can tell, the posted list is still the one dated from the middle of December, at which time Ebert posted that new stations were being added all the time. So who knows. . .

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ebert posted an updated Carriage Report, now up to 83.49 percent Coverage

It will now air in Boston on WGBH 7:30 PM Sundays starting 2/13/2011 (HDTV), and Saturdays at 3:00 PM starting 1/22/2011 on NHPTV Prime starting 1/22/2011.
It will now air in Tampa on WEDU 10:00 AM Wednesdays starting 2/12/2011 (HDTV) and WUSF-DT 5:30 PM Saturdays starting 1/22/2011.
It will now air in Tallahassee on WFSU Fridays and Saturdays at various times starting 1/21/2011.
It will now air in Miami on WPBT HDTV and Orlando on WDSC HDTV, starting on dates and times to be decided.
It will now air in Spokane on KCDT Saturdays at 4:30 PM starting 1/22/2011 (HDTV).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
For those in the New York City metropolitan area, WLIW-21 is now showing a listing for 7pm on Friday, Jan. 21, for "Ebert Presents: At the Movies".

I assume there will shortly be listing for a slot on WNET-13, which owns 21.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Each of your should consider yourself grateful. I just got an email response from the director of programming at my local PBS station and he said they have no plans to carry it.

I'm bummed, so ya'll are going to have to let me know how the show it. I hope episodes will be available online.

Peace,

DM

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben
For those in the New York City metropolitan area, WLIW-21 is now showing a listing for 7pm on Friday, Jan. 21, for "Ebert Presents: At the Movies".

I assume there will shortly be listing for a slot on WNET-13, which owns 21.
It turns out the WNET-13 broadcast will also be Friday, but at 10:30pm. WNET also broadcasts in HD.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
Seattle Times: "Ebert Presents At the Movies" starts this month -- but not in Seattle

Apparently, KCTS passed on the show to leave more room in their schedule for pledge drives.

I remember when my area's PBS affiliate used to roll out new content with pledge drives a couple times a year. Now it seems like they're in permanent pledge drive mode.
Thanks Adam. This is disappointing for sure. I understand the local stations need to make money through pledge drives, but I am far less likely to give money to a station which doesn't carry programming I want to watch. I enjoy the Create station which runs on a local PBS affiliate but that's about it. Hopefully someone on Ebert's side sees the value in either an audio or video podcast through iTunes.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
Seattle Times: "Ebert Presents At the Movies" starts this month -- but not in Seattle

Apparently, KCTS passed on the show to leave more room in their schedule for pledge drives.

I remember when my area's PBS affiliate used to roll out new content with pledge drives a couple times a year. Now it seems like they're in permanent pledge drive mode.
Man, that's weaksauce - but then KCTS has always sucked major ass. Fortunately in the days of youtube and bittorrnets a show not running in your area isn't as big a hindrance as it was back in the 80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks