What's new

Roger Ebert reviewing again in 2007 (Passed Away: See Post #158) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that note from roeper says the show will continue, but not with disney.
"In the meantime, it is my intention to proceed elsewhere with my ninth year as the co-host of a movie review show that honors the standards established by Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert more than 30 years ago. I will be free to share the details on that program in the near future.”"

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
And now there's a statement from Roger on his site that he's permanently parting ways with the show as well. He hopes to keep the "thumbs" going, but isn't revealing his plans yet.
Statement from Roger Ebert
Wow, two separate statements on the same day. Makes me wonder what Disney was up to.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
TonyD said:
that note from roeper says the show will continue, but not with disney.
"In the meantime, it is my intention to proceed elsewhere with my ninth year as the co-host of a movie review show that honors the standards established by Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert more than 30 years ago. I will be free to share the details on that program in the near future.”"
Not "the" show since Disney seems to own it, but "a" show. Doesn't really matter much if they are able to get something going with decent distribution.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i doubt that the stations who currently run the show would choose a show with whomever replaces roeper over the new show that will have roger's and roeper's name on it.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
TonyD said:
i doubt that the stations who currently run the show would choose a show with whomever replaces roeper over the new show that will have roger's and roeper's name on it.
I hope not, but where I live it has been hard to even watch the current show produced by Disney. They randomly change when it shows, but most of the time it is in the middle of the night on Sunday mornings. To catch it, I generally set the DVR to record for an hour and a half to catch the 30 minute show (even then I don't always get it).

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Well, I won't be watching either of them since they know nothing about films. I watched Lyons on MSNBC once and that was enough.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
DavidJ said:
I hope not, but where I live it has been hard to even watch the current show produced by Disney. They randomly change when it shows, but most of the time it is in the middle of the night on Sunday mornings. To catch it, I generally set the DVR to record for an hour and a half to catch the 30 minute show (even then I don't always get it).
thats exactly what i do, with the dvr.
somehow the tivo always gets the time right.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Michael Elliott said:
Well, I won't be watching either of them since they know nothing about films. I watched Lyons on MSNBC once and that was enough.
that's not really fair, saying they know nothing about films.
did you read the article.
these 2 guys have roots in movies especially Mankiewicz.
I've seen him on the occasional accidental AMC watching, he seems informed to me.
in any event if it keeps a similar format i'll watch it.
i like anything that has peole talking about movies.
I will watch the Ebert and Roeper show first though.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
TonyD said:
I like anything that has people talking about movies.
+1
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
TonyD said:
that's not really fair, saying they know nothing about films.
did you read the article.
these 2 guys have roots in movies especially Mankiewicz.
I've seen him on the occasional accidental AMC watching, he seems informed to me.
I have a problem whenever a critic (in this case Lyons) says "xyz" is one of the greatest movies right up there with BEETLEJUICE, CLUELESS and SCREAM. Of course, this guy might be a lot better for the "mainstream" crowds.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Michael Elliott said:
I have a problem whenever a critic (in this case Lyons) says "xyz" is one of the greatest movies right up there with BEETLEJUICE, CLUELESS and SCREAM.
He's got a point.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"Citizen Kane, man. Your great-uncle really did a great job with that! It was approaching the level of, like, Moving Violations! High praise from me, dude."
Never heard of Ben Lyons, so I'm just having fun.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
They're getting Ben Lyons and Ben Mankiewicz for the new At the Movies.
Yeesh. I don't have much of an opinion on Mankiewicz but Lyons is a moron. You might as well hire some no-name frat boy to review movies instead of him because it would be the same effect but likely much cheaper.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
TonyD said:
I'm not following you. Doesn't Disney own the Ebert & Roeper title? If Roeper is leaving and Ebert is already gone, how does anyone have a show with Ebert & Roeper is the title?
Roeper is leaving to start his own show, Ebert won't be doing any. Ebert's name won't be on any show, I presume. Roeper's name won't be associated with At The Movies at all. Correct?
BTW, like others, here in Little Rock I had to set up a time frame of about two hours to increase my chances of recording the show early on Sunday morning.
Edit: I read the article and there is a brief mention the Ebert could be associated with Roeper's new show. I've got to think his association will be off camera, perhaps he'll write reviews to be read on-air, I don't know.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ebert is great.
he even posted those clips of him and gene arguing then laughing about it.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yeah, I thought that was cool that he would post those. I think most would be too vain.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think he's grown up enough over the years to look back and laugh.
It's also possible that that kind of sniping was even affectionate, like when you watch Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? for the first time and think they hate enough, and on later viewings seeing the underlying affection at play there. The fights and the sniping are part of the fond memories. After Siskel died, all of the pretenders to the throne including Roeper had to be too respectful to Ebert for that to again be possible.
I love Ebert's blog. While his website keeps things professional and film-focused, the blog is entirely personal. He's giving us a window into his life at probably the most vulnerable time he's ever gone through.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks