What's new

Roger Ebert reviewing again in 2007 (Passed Away: See Post #158) (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
When I first heard Leno was going to sub on this week's show I groaned, but I wasn't aware at the time that he is a big movie buff. I thought he did pretty well this weekend. I did notice that Roeper did all the actual reviews (normally he & Ebert trade off, as did Ebert & Siskel during their years), and Leno just provided commentary.
Next week, Kevin Smith. Whatever you think of his films, the guy is a seriously entertaining talker. He knows film, and he's not afraid to voice his opinion, so he should be quite good.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
It's beginning to sound like /htf/images/misc/wikipedia.gif Ebert may be out of circulation for a while. I wonder what their long term plans are for the show.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
anyone know who the next substitute will be? They didn't announce it at the end of the show.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It was funny that Smith liked "Step Up" and Roeper was ripping on him for that thumbs-up. Overall, Smith was pretty entertaining with the banter with Roeper. Liked the "Jay and Silent Bob" with Roeper line as well.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Yeah, they might stall (as they have before) with a re-run like "Best movies of the year so far" or "Worst movies of the year so far". I think this stalling caused "Pirates Of The Caribbean 2" to get lost in the shuffle, and never get reviewed on the show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The main himself just released a statement:

I have always believed in full disclosure. When I announced that I had a recurrence of salivary cancer that required surgery, I had no idea when I went into the hospital on June 16 that I would still be here on August 16.

On June 16 they removed the cancer in my right jaw area, including a section of my jaw bone. It was successfully reconstructed. On July 1, I was packing to leave the hospital when my blood vessel ruptured. We have since learned that the rupture was caused by a break down of tissue surrounding the artery as a result of radiation treatments I had three years ago.

I had a particularly intense form of radiation called neutron beam radiation, which is more effective for certain cancers, but which is also more debilitating to healthy tissue than conventional radiation. Finding a solution to protecting the arteries is what has kept me in the hospital, and in bed, since July 1. As you can imagine, it is no fun being hospitalized this long. Fortunately for me, I have received excellent medical care at Northwestern Hospital led by Doctors Harold Pelzer and Neil Fine. This is a unique situation and the doctors are moving cautiously, but they are enthusiastically optimistic about my recovery. I have also had the loving support of my bride Chaz, and good friends and colleagues. I am a lucky man.

I have learned, however, just how quickly one loses strength when confined to the bed for a long period of time. I will need rehabilitation to regain my strength, including voice rehabilitation to strengthen my vocal cords. The doctors have had me on a tracheostomy collar to keep my airways open during the period of surgeries for the ruptured blood vessels. Your vocal cords are like other muscles, they get rusty when they are not used daily. I may have other treatments or procedures as prescribed by my doctors, and so I hope you understand that while I believe in full disclosure, I also need the time and privacy to heal.

I am happy to report that despite all, I am doing well. I started physical therapy, I communicate with friends on a daily basis, I play my iPod and listen to songs with Chaz and the doctors and nurses, and I write. Don Dupree, the Executive Producer of “Ebert & Roeper” installed a plasma TV and DVD player in my room. I am going to watch "Half Nelson" and I hope Kevin Smith was right. I also thank my good friend Jay Leno for sitting in my chair in my absence, and, of course, thanks to Richard Roeper.

I thank all of you for your prayers, your well-wishes, your gifts, cards, e-mails and flowers. I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't tell you when, but I sure look forward to being back on the movie beat.
It sounds like the problem is actually from the earlier surgery three years ago, and he only survived because he was already in the hospital. Until they figure out a way to strengthen the affected areas, he'll be hospital bound.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
news on IMDB today, that he won't be able to speak for a while.
I sure hope he recovers soon. I'd much rather hear from him then read his collum. I love hearing him speak so passionately about film.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
well i'm encouraged after reading that statement from him, i hope he makes a full recovery.
i was surprised i actually enjoyed the kevin smith episode. i know he's a huge film fan, but i expected him to be a total blowhard, but he was a cool guy.
CJ

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Great news...I've missed his reviews quite a bit, and we've hit the "Ebert" season, where the years serious fare pours out. Can't wait to see what he says about The Departed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks