What's new

Rodgers & Hammerstein SE's 2005 (1 Viewer)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The "Talkin' Broadway" web site posted news today that three Rodgers & Hammerstein films will receive Special edition treatments in 2005.

these include New Transfers and expanded editions.

Titles include:

The Sound of Music 40th anniversary edition
Oklahoma! 50th anniversary edition
State Fair 60th anniversary edition.

Next year (2006) both "Carousel" and "The King and I" turn 50th so maybe they will be remastered for a 2006 release.

GregK

Screenwriter

Here's to hoping they include both the Scope & Todd-AO versions of the feature this time. (16x9 enhancement on any new transfers is of course a given ;) !)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Finally. I've stated in many threads that I'd buy these again if Fox would release new SEs. I'll follow through on that.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I wonder if we could get some official word from Fox. This seems to be a big rumor, to me.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The "Talkin' Broadway" web site is pretty acurate on it's upcoming release information. I would guess some of the other web sites will report on this in the near future.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Their information is coming from the R&H office, which is notoriously pre-mature in their announcements (I used to work there). I'd like to hear from Fox.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Any chance to rebuy Sound of Music with an EE-free image would be welcome. The EE on the current disc not only adds too much ringing to many scenes...but it makes digital noise out of the natural film-grain present in the image.

Naturally we ALL can't wait to see a new 16x9 Oklahomha...hopepfull with both versions of the film full restored and presented ala 7-brides/brothers from Warner Brothers.

-dve

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'd love to see a dual-version release of Oklahoma! as well.

Seeing the 30fps Todd-AO version in 16x9 and hopefully from a new HD transfer would be wonderful.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Seems strange that they would do a new transfer for "State Fair" before "Carousel" or "South Pacific".
Those 2 titles are far more in urgent need of a re-master than "State Fair".

From a commercial point of view, "Sound of Music" surprises me as well, as it is not all that long ago that Fox released what they thought was the ultimate THX edition.(Even though we all know better)

Let's hope that the film problems they had with the previous non Anamorphic 70mm edition of "Oklahoma" can be fixed this time around. As mentioned previously on this thread, it would also be nice to get both versions on the DVD.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm pretty sure that 'The Sound Of Music' was already previously slated for a newly transfered anniversary edition so I wouldnt take any of this as rumor...

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Sound of Music and Oklahoma are some of my favorite musicals. I already own them both but would gladly re-purchase them for an improved video transfer! Here's hoping this info is truly accurate. :)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
All Fox did was repackage their LD box set of SOM that they had created some years before. They even went so far as to use screen shots from the LD for the text supplements instead of re-creating them. The text is readable, but the photos that often ran alongside the text were blown out and hard to see. It's sad, really, as the actual content on the set was quite good.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
"Oklahoma" is in bad need of a new transfer, regardless of whether it's the 'scope version or some other one, as the current version is IMHO the most telecined, embarrassingly distracting POS currently bearing the THX label. :thumbsdown:

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Can someone explain the difference between the CinemaScope and Todd-AO versions of Oklahoma? I wasn't aware of two versions and now my curiosity has been whetted.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I don't think SOM was just a repackaging of the LD set. I remember reading the review of it on DVD REVIEW and they showed scene comparasions and the difference between the dvd and LD were night and day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.