What's new

Rocky Horror comes to Blu-ray in 2010 (1 Viewer)

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
http://www.rockyhorror.com/news/article.php?p=2009102301

In a flier first posted on the main page of the popular Rocky Horror site Cosmo's Factory and confirmed by 20th Century Fox, RHPS will come to the Blu-ray hi-def disc format sometime in 2010.

The flier announced auditions to be included in special features, which will be in the upcoming 35th Anniversary release. Casting has already taken place in Los Angeles, and more auditions will happen in New York and London, with finals to take place in Los Angeles.

As always, stay tuned for more updates as they happen

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Excellent - the original 2-disc DVD was a terrific upgrade of the 20th Anniversary LD set, and gave us the original mono mix, a new, corrected stereo music mix (not flying in the alternate, 'soundtrack' album mixes) plus both US and UK versions.

To make this 100% in my books, fix one thing: The Audience Partici-pation track. It needs to be mixed putting the audience in the rear exclusively, and the soundtrack up front for end-user balance adjusting, and the 'Time Warp' ending (which they are clapping and singing along to) to be 100% correct! Come on Fox!

I watched the dvd again last night. It still holds up, almost ten years later! There are some issues with black levels fluctuating, but all in all still a winner...can't wait for the Blu-Ray!

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Same here- it's one of my favorites. I hope all the deleted scenes from the SE DVD are included.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
After having bought the almost $200 LD Box Set with original gold CD of the sound track along with the huge book on everything you ever wanted to know about the movie....and owning the OOP 2 disc DVD, I think I've spent enough money on the title.

I'd rather listen to the music than actually watch the movie.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I was quite surprised today to find out that the CTV network will air RHPS in HD this weekend. It marks the first time ever that RHPS has aired on a national network in Canada, although it has aired previously many times for Halloween on MuchMusic. (owned by CTV since 2007)

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
It doesn't say which version(s) of the film will be included. Will it just be the US release or will the UK version be on the disc too?

I hope it is both cuts and that they fix the music cue from the US cut towards the end when the cut takes place for Superheroes. But it might be hard to do if the two versions were presented seamless.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Matt,

I shiver with antici... pation

My copy is ordered. Should be here today.

I am very curious to see how well they remastered

this title for Blu-ray. By all accounts, it could be a

remarkable visual and sonic experience.

David,

Very good review. I can't quite figure out from it

if Fox did a brand-new video audience participation

PIP track for this release. I was never happy with

the one that appeared on the DVD.

I read on rockyhorror.com that they used the wrong take for Janet during "Over at the Frankenstein Place." This only occurs on the stereo track. Also, all blue and red tints are gone from Brad and Janet scenes and the Time Warp flashbacks.

EDIT....I just picked this up. The red tints were there. The scene in Brad's bedroom has some blue on the left and right sides but it has be de-tinted in the center where the action is...you can plainly see Tim Curry now.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
As someone who used to own a bootleg VHS with Japanese subs, bought the original U.S. VHS release ($100!), the LD box ($120!), and the 2-disc DVD (Cheap! Teehee), I'm delighted to finally own RHPS on Blu-Ray. Though certainly not worth the premium we had to pay back in the day, I will always miss the extra little things that came in some LD box sets. RHPS had a book, Creatures of the Night 2, and a 24k gold CD of the soundtrack. IIRC, the soundtrack was different than any other release. I don't recall if the actual sound mix on the songs was any different. Probably not. However, it had snippets of dialogue between each of the songs. Ah, laserdiscs. I miss your "special-ness" if not your sticker shock.

I picked up the BD at lunch. Can't wait to go home and pop it in the player!

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Just picked this up. DavidS mentioned them in his review but I must not have not noticed. The menus are really such a nice touch and a pleasant surprise!

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I can't quite figure out from it

if Fox did a brand-new video audience participation

PIP track for this release. I was never happy with

the one that appeared on the DVD.

Thanks! I tried to include every pertinent detail in the review.

The cutaway AP segments from the DVD release are not included on the new Blu-ray. What IS on the Blu-ray is a text-based AP track.

As far as PiP, that would be the new shadowcast performance only.

jt19006

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Wasn't there an extra on the DVD in which Richard O'Brien goes back to the old house at Bray which was the location for much of the film? If that's on the blu-ray I can't find it.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
For no sane or logical reason the opening credit sequence appears to be windowboxed for the first time. Whenever the ruby lips open extra wide you can see where they are cut off by flat borders at the top and bottom. On the standard DVD release ( non-windowboxed ), you can see the lips extend entirely to the top and bottom of the screen but because they are reaching the edges of the monitor the effect isn't jarring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks