What's new

Rocky & Bullwinkle Complete Season 1 - Is this the original series from 1959 or 1961? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
According to imdb.com "Rocky and His Friends" aka "Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends" first aired in November 1959 until 1961 but then "The Bullwinkle Show" aka "Adventures of Bullwinkle and Rocky" aka "Rocky and His Friends" aired in September 1961 and ran until 1973.

Does anybody know if this box set starts with the 1961 series or is actually THE first season from 1959?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
In essence, it's the very first season. However, it has been retitled "Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends" in the new masters.

The DVD set is a must-own.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching this set and I have a question about the special features. The Bullwinkle puppet (Ask Bullwinkle), what was that all about? When was that shown? I don't remember it at all, actually it was kinda spooky (especially for young kids) :D

Also, the only thing that got annoying was the redundancy of the show - I realize it didn't seem so redundant when it was on the air, but when you watch the shows back to back, the inbetween segments got too monotonous, but I guess I'd rather have it in it's original broadcast format than some hacked up version. (it really wasn't too much of an issue to fast forward through every opening to each segment).

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
It is not actually any first season. It's an amalgamation of the first episodes of each of the segments; Dudley Do-Right for instance didn't start until several years later. There would have been even more repetition had they used the actual first season shows, because there aren't as many Fractured Fairy tales and Peabody segments as there are R&B segments, so the original run must have included some repeats. Even though it's really a faux first season, it's preferable to authenticity, frankly. I do wish they hadn't doctored the title sequences though. :frowning:

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys,

it just looked like the 2 years from 1959 could have been similar to the Simpsons episodes on the Tracy Ullman show and they might not have counted these as being part of the 1st season.

So from what I can tell, you're saying these episodes may be from the first 2 or 3 years, but are the earliest from 1959 or 1961?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks