What's new

Rocky Balboa recap (SPOILERS) (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Finally got a chance to see it (it just opened here), and wow, what a movie. Easily the best Rocky since the original. Everything was just right. 5/5.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It is a wonderful film Ricardo...It's in my top 2 or 3 for 2006. (I can't remember all of a sudden
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
)....

Just saw where it comes to dvd and Blu Ray (dangit! :P)...in March.

This is becoming an expensive Spring for movie buying. :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I tell ya, this one has me considering depleting my "fun" money fund and getting a BD player... I really wanna be able to experience it in HD, especially the fight :D

I'm taking my dad to see it this weekend. He's always been a boxing buff, a Rocky fan, and since he's hitting 60 this year, I think he may enjoy and "get" Stallone's message even more than I did.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This will be the second film to come out on BD that will tempt me, the first was Superman Returns. But, I can't do anything until probably tax time next year so i'll be getting the SD dvd for now.

I love it when movies I love don't take long to come out. :cool:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Just got back from seeing the film with my dad, probably his first visit to the movies in 25 years (I didn't get my HT hobby from him, that's for sure :D). He LOVED it :) I think this quote sums it up: "It was freezing cold in that theater. Until the training montage began." We stayed for the credits, which the projectionist thankully didn't cut off.

For me, this second viewing made the film more poignant. I especially liked Rocky's big confrontation with Robert. Not just the speech, which is infinitely quotable, but also the dynamic between them. It feels so real, and I saw shades of my own relationship with my dad. I'm not that big on Milo Ventimiglia, but he was perfect in this role.

And I think I have a crush on Geraldine Hughes.

Still a strong 5/5 stars.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
There's a few "Rocky V" deleted scenes up from a workprint of the film. Interesting to see...

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Got in my second viewing tonight of Rocky Balboa. Arrived on dvd today. :)

I was really curious if a film that has such a nostalgic presence and sentiment would hold up on a second viewing? Would a film with such a kind spirit and sweetness still work?

Um.....Hell Yes. :emoji_thumbsup:

I loved it even more. When I saw this theatrically, I immediately placed it on my #2 slot for best of 2006 and after tonights viewing it firmly remains there with no apologies. :cool:

There is just something special about this film. Maybe it's my age as I get a bit older? Maybe it's just how we re-connect with the original Rocky film of 1976? And no denying, I wanted to like it and want Stallone to regain some industry and fan love. I think he did with Rocky Balboa.

There's not much of anything I would change about this film. Several times (again)...I got a bit choked up and misty eyed. The music is wonderful. Certainly this is subjective, but the opening credit music ranks among the best ever. Serious goose bumpage. :)

I listened to part of the director's commentary and it's great...especially the ending part. Watch the entire credit sequence with the director's commentary on.

Sentimental, nostalgic, and an outstanding film.

:)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I still haven't seen this but the way everyone talks, it sounds like this may be a blind buy on Blu-ray for me. I loved the original four (five sucked) so hopefully this one compares to the originals.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Todd:

If you loved the original four then buy this without hesitation. Not only does it have a good story but it also is probably the most creatively filmed Rocky movie since the original. Stallone really displays some fine craftsmanship.

Tim:

I watched the first 30 minutes last night (on my ten year old Panasonic DVD in my bedroom...GRRR) and I agree with you. The film holds up very well.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Cool Chris. :)

Todd, I would certainly grab the Blu-ray version of this one if you're a fan...I don't have BD hardware yet, but have read some reviews and that disc is getting very good marks. Can't go wrong. You can always give it to me if you don't like it. ;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think this is definitely the best after the first. 2-5 are just ordinary to terrible, with most coming closer to "terrible". This one had something to say - a purpose to it. I was shocked that the blurb in Sunday's "Washington Post" only gave it a "D+"! :eek:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
D+....wow...maybe that writer was just having a bad day and angry. :)

It has an overall rating of "B" on Yahoo movies with all the major critics reviews weighed in.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Saw it for the first time yesterday, got choked up a few times with Rocky reminiscing about him and Adrian. It would have been great to have Talia Shire in there for a flashback scene when she dies. That REALLY would have started the water works. I personally liked the alternate ending better (I'm a sucker for a happy ending). I also loved 1 thru 4 but couldn't stand 5. It's a shame 5 had to be the only clunker in the series.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
The alternate ending wasn't bad....but to me it just didn't fit. If you can Bob, listen to Stallone's commentary and he explains why he went the way he did.

Neither my local Wmart or Target has the soundtrack. :frowning:

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Tim, I did listen to Stallone's commentary and I understand why he did it I just thought it would be nice to see Rocky go out winning the fight. However, if he did win, there would be some people saying "the only reason Rocky won was because Mason's hand was busted for a round an a half". The ending for me was bitter sweet. Still loved the movie though.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It didn't bother me at all that Rocky didn't win because winning or losing wasn't the point, he had to get the boxing monkey off his back once and for all and bring closure to it, it's just something he had to do.

It was a personal victory for Rocky which is what made it so powerful to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks