What's new

Rocky 6, why oh why???!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
From http://www.variety.com/VR1117931054.html

Sylvester Stallone is reaching back to his glory days, and companies are lining up to relive the memories.
As rumors still persist that the actor will resurrect the "Rambo" franchise, Columbia, Revolution StudiosRevolution Studios and MGM are teaming to co-produce and co-finance "Rocky Balboa," the sixth pic in the "Rocky" series.

Stallone will reprise his role as Philadelphia working-class hero and former champ Rocky Balboa. He will also write and direct.

"We'll try to capture the essence of the first couple of films," Stallone told Daily Variety.

Stallone wrote all the previous "Rocky" films and directed the second, third and fourth entries.

And "Rocky" has been around so long, some familiar names -- but of different generations -- are in the mix.

Charles Winkler, William Chartoff, David Winkler and Kevin King are producing. Robert Chartoff and Irwin WinklerIrwin Winkler, who produced the previous "Rocky" pics, are aboard as exec producers.

Burt Young returns in the role of Paulie; Bill Conti, who wrote the original "Rocky" score, returns as well.

Pic will shoot starting in the first quarter of 2006 in Philadelphia and Las Vegas. No release date has been set yet.

Stallone said the story has the aging, widowed Rocky initially refusing a chance to get back in the ring.

"There's a computer fight between the reigning world champion and Balboa, and Balboa wins," he said.

"The champion's management says let's do this for real, for charity. Rocky says no but decides to be true to himself even though he's going to be berated by everyone. Just to compete, not to win."

Stallone said former heavyweight champion Roy Jones Jr. is in talks to play Rocky's opponent, Mason Dixon.

The rest of the cast will likely be unknowns, he said.

Stallone said the project has been gestating for four years.

"You had the studio difficulty, two studios in transition, then there was a reluctance to go forward until everyone felt there was a script that echoed the kind of sincerity and values the first one had, and had some poignancy like the first one had."

Stallone said Joe RothJoe Roth was instrumental in bringing the project together. He "worked very closely with Irwin Winkler and Bob Chartoff and was instrumental in just putting all the pieces together."

He added that Rocky's arc has been autobiographical for him over the years, and this is no exception.

"I am drawing on a lot of my feelings that are in synch with many people's feelings about facing the last chapter of their lives and how they want it to be written. Rocky goes through the skepticism of trying to go against the tide, to go against common sense."

Stallone said it was tough to be back in the writer's chair after several years away. "It's like going into the barn to start an old engine and see it smoke, rattle and belch, then eventually it starts humming."

He also said the business had changed quite a bit in the 30 years since the first "Rocky."

"In the '70s and '80s, you could change start dates and be flippant about commitment. You can't do that anymore. It's very, very precise; it's run as a strict business now. And I like it. There's no illusion anymore. It's not a dream factory now, it's a real factory. In a good way."

The "Rocky" franchise has grossed $495 million in the U.S. alone.

Stallone was last seen on the bigscreen in "Spy Kids 3-D." He was an exec producer on reality boxing skeinskein "The Contender."

He has apparently slated to revive the "Rambo" series with "Rambo IV" next year and plans to write and direct "Poe," starring Robert Downey Jr.Robert Downey Jr. as the author.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

That quote sounds horrible to me. I liked the dream factory. I don't like just pushing movies through to meet the schedule, art be damned. Perhaps his comment shouldn't be taken as absolutely as I read it. I sure hope not.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit

That quote was bad, but the above news is worse. The world needs another "Rambo" sequel like it needs hemorrhoids.

And Sly Stallone writing AND directing a film based on the life of Edgar Allan Poe has got to be some sick joke. Or at least a good idea for a random "Family Guy" segue.

"Annabel Lee, I'm your worst nightmare."

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
You know, I love the Rocky films (sans "Rocky V"), however, this is a terrible idea. The irony is that I'll likely go see it when it comes out (as a matinee, of course)!

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
I think Stallone gets a bad wrap, honestly. Did he really deserve to be named the WORST actor of the 20th century? Hell no... The guy has just made some bad decisions over the years. Sadly these might well be lumped on with them. Once upon a time, he could write, and he could even act a bit (First Blood for instance). The Poe thing may be the best thing he's had a hand in since Copland. If it is, I hope he gets some much-needed credibility.

And yes, I'll likely see both Rocky VI and Rambo IV. I throw caution to the wind...

Oh, and while this is very much off-topic in this thread, if you like movies still done the DREAM FACTORY way, Joss Whedon's Serenity really is for you...

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
"Rocky Balboa" Script Review... (minor spoilers)

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/664/664623p1.html

What I like about each Rocky movie is that it represents where Sylvester Stallone is actually in his life which is why I think he finds that character so personal. The first "Rocky" was about a 30 nobody trying to prove himself to the world, which Stallone did. Then "Rocky II" was trying to prove he wasn't just a one hit wonder, which he did again. "Rocky III" was about gaining all that fame and losing your way, with Stallone's star at a rise but had a few bombs on the way. "Rocky IV" was about being the most famous person in the world, which in 1985 Stallone was. "Rocky V" was losing that fame, which is when Stallone's star started to wane. And now the sixth movie is about a comeback for a 60 year old with everyone saying he can't do it, which is probably exactly what Stallone is feeling about his career.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Are they still going with having Adrian dead, Rocky Jr. hating his dad and Rocky dying at the end?

If so i'll sit this one out, what an absolute bummer of a finale. :frowning:

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
To John Williamson:

They are killing off Adrian and having Rocky Jr. hate his father. However, Rocky does not die at the end it seems. Or at least, not during the final boxing match.

Jason Guardiano

Stunt Coordinator

Cassy_w

Second Unit
Have not been able to download it since it was posted. Their server just cannot handle the load.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks