What's new

Rocky 6, why oh why???!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

AlexCremers

Second Unit
That's the funny thing about the internet, some people truly think "V" is better than "I". Go ahead, critique the worst film possible, chances are that within 5 minutes someone calls it the best movie ever made.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Nope. I own the Rocky set and recently rewatched all V. I LOVE I and II. III is entertaining but to me doesn't really feel like the first 2. IV I just think doesn't really hold up well. It's very dated IMHO. V I liked for what it attempted. To bring the character back to his origins. That's the Rocky I like. The Philly "streets" version. I don't like the expensive suit wearing, blow-dried hair version of the character. I liked where Rocky V left off and I do get crap for defending the last film. Is it great? No. But I prefer it to III and IV. So I'm a bit worried where it could go now. I would definitely see it though.

Just my 2 cents...

:) d

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I thought the idea of these were terrible, but after reading SteveCallas post, without one wink or smiley in it, I've changed my mind!

I can't wait to see Rocky haunted by Apollo's ghost, get cranked on steroids in an extended training sequence, and than battle the phantom Creed after a bizzare blood ritual ritual in which Clubber and Ivan are sacrificed on Micky's grave so as to imbue Rocky with powers to knock out occult forces.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I'm totally waisted at my current job. Come on Stallone, give me a call and let's write this f**ker!:D

SteveCallas

Second Unit
I had heard about early scripts in which Ivan Drago either fought or harrassed Rocky's son in order to get a rematch against Rocky. Basically, whatever the script may be, Stallone can do no wrong as this character, in my eyes at least.

But that's what happened when the Rocky character won the belt and started making millions. He finally started getting respect, he got his nose done, he got a personal trainer, he started eating better, he got in way better shape, and he probably hired a speech therapist to increase his vocabulary and lessen that slack jawed accent. He gained it back in V due to the several deadly blows to the head he took from Drago. It all makes sense people, it all makes sense. The only big hole is how Rocky's son aged 10 years in a couple months, but it was done in order to make the fifth film more interesting, and easily forgivable.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
True. I just wasn't that interested in seeing the character in that enviornment. I like Rocky better as an underdog. I like Seeing him and Paulie back in the bar like in V. And yeah, I think that the son character was basically invisble in III and IV. At least in V, they used him in the story. Take the son out of V, HUGE gap in the film. Take the kid out of III and IV... doesn't change anything.
And yeah, he did age kinda fast, didn't he??

:) d

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Understandable. I've literally seen each of these films well over 40 times each, II,III, and IV even more, especially IV. Each one is enjoyable to me in a different way. I can use each one as a tool as well. Example - after spending last year in college having to do numerous job interviews, move out of my apartment, and go through various other stresses, I lost a good 12lbs of muscle and a lot of strength. As you probably know, trying to get back into after being off for a long while and feeling depressed each time you step in the weightroom knowing how big/strong you once were is hard. My training buddy and I would watch Rocky III nearly twice a week for the first month getting back into it and boy did it ever help. The "There is no tommorrow!" scene is very powerful, nothing like it in other movies. When you reach a platue, pop in Rocky IV. Surely I'm not the only one right? :D

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I heard on the news this morning that Mr. T has announced that he will no longer wear his trademark gold chains because of Hurricane Katrina. (That's pretty much all they said about it, so I can't elaborate any further.)

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Any of you guys ever see Mr. T when he is a guest on Conan O'Brien? They come up with some very funny segments.

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I hear ya, Russell.

I wanna see Rocky, Clubber and Apollo's corpse teaming up in outer space to box an invading alien horde.

Hell, throw Rambo in there so Sly can kill two birds with one stone. And it'd give him a dual role so he can strech his acting powers.

Call it Rocky and Rambo Vs. The Martians

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Errr, have you ever seen First Blood? I'd say that it about as anti-establishment as Billy Jack. Sure the NRA right wingers love the "I kick ass and take names" aspect, but for the most part the message in First Blood is that Vietnam Vets got hung out to dry by the man. Like Billy Jack you are dealing with a guy that is basically a left-wing liberal with a hard right-winger skill set. :D

Cripes, where do you think Rambo was walking too. If the cop didn't mess with him he was probably about 2 scenes from hopping on the back of Dennis Hopper's chopper and getting high with Peter Fonda on the way to some sit-in where he could find himself.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

You mean they haven't? I guess there are just so many needless remakes and sequels than ever before with so few fresh new ideas anymore that it just "feels" like it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

And in the last reel, when all seems hopeless, and the Martians have the upper hand, Stallone as "Cobra" shows up and smokes everyone.:emoji_thumbsup:

the sad thing is, I'm thinking these joke movies are more interesting than what he actually has planned.

the last I heard, Stallone was basing Rocky 6 on George formans comeback. Isn't it a little late? Formans comeback ended 10 years ago, and he doesn't hardly appear at boxing events anymore, seeing as he's making fat money on his grillin' machine.

And Rambo 4 is based on Stallones desperate attempt to make money after a couple of DTV clunkers.;)

What I would like to see is a "Night Hawks 2" With Billy Dee and Sly kicking ass.:emoji_thumbsup:

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Seth, great post. ;)

You know, at the time this came out, I was heavily into working out. I was all into my situps and then I see a rocky movie where he doesn't just sit up but picks up almost his whole body. Well, I just had to try that one. I ended up breaking my bench and crashing to the floor. OK. No more imitating Rocky movies.

SteveCallas

Second Unit

Riiiight, because it was the conservatives who were spitting at the soldiers and calling them baby killers when they came home? Or was it a conservative who met with the enemy and reveled troop positions? First Blood was anti-establishment, but it didn't cut into party lines. I used the term tree-hugging liberals because those are the types most likely offended by the "US war hero kills everyone" theme of the series, mostly the latter two. In my experiences, that type doesn't have much respect for our military or necessarily view it as too intelligent.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
FIRST BLOOD was definitely anti-establishment, but like Steve pointed out, it wasn't necessarily anti-the people that sent Rambo to Vietnam to fight.

It was a pretty balanced movie over all.

Rocky VI...I'll keep an open mind.

AlexCremers

Second Unit

I think most people know Stallone wants a hit (how long has it been?) and that's why they will stay away from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks