Rockustics Outdoor speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DaveMcS, Jul 15, 2003.

1. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

Just checking in to see if anyone might have any experiences with Rockustics outdoor speakers. (Or the Stereostone brand for that matter)
    I have searched the net to no avail. No one seems to have posted a real life review of any of these outdoor speaker "stones"

Thanks
    David

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Dave,

The primary design consideration of speakers of this nature (no pun intended) is resistance to the outdoor environment, not high fidelity reproduction. Don’t expect much in the sound department and you won’t be disappointed.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I do backyards and have worked with Sonance Rock speakers, TIC Rock speakers, and Rockustics.

All have less than stellar sound compared to home theater but will at least play enjoyable music.

The Rockustics I worked with were omnipolar ones that sound similar to the TIC industry speakers. The omnipolars don't have highs or detail, but can adaquately fill a backyard with ambient music if there are enough of them.

They'll have more bass than your "Best buy" type of small rock speaker and will be capable of high volumes. However, when turned up too high, there could be some "plastic" cabinet resonance that can be bothersome.

If you are using a 2ch receiver, i'd send it to a speaker switch box, then I'd hook up an array of omni polar rock speakers or green landscape speakers for a nice "FILL" of sound.

Using two directional speakers such as one under the eaves or two directional rock speakers will result in good sound in a small listening area. As you walk across the backyard, the directionality of the speakers causes the sound to change drastically depending on the positioning.

Also, if you mix brands, make sure they have the same sensitivity. I've found that some may say 89db, but use a different standard for measuring and are actually a lot lower.

In Hawaii (Kauai), if you ever visit the Radisson Hotel, you'll be able to enjoy Rockustic omnipolars in a circular array around the pool and bar area. [​IMG]

4. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

thanks for the info guys...I was looking to pipe some ambient music to our backyard deck. In doing my typical pre-purchase research I came up with little in the way of reviews for these types of speakers. Many of the online retailers that sell "high end" goods also seems to carry the Rockustics brand..but that's not always a sign of quality.

That said ..I impulsively purchased a pair of Rockustic planters on eBay..The price was right..and they will blned into the deck "decor" nicely..A "purty" terracotta planter that happens to contain a 2 way speaker !! 2 birds..1 stone

I'll letcha know how they sound when they arrive and I hook 'em up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]