What's new

Rockford Files (1 Viewer)

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator
I see Wal Mart has several seasons of the Rockford Files for $10.96. Since this is pretty cheap does that mean that it is going to come out on blu ray soon?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I suspect if Universal is dumping their old stock of Rockford Files season sets at Walmart (and other retailers), most likely they're making way for a repackaged rerelease of the same dvd season sets.

A year or two ago, I remember seeing the older Magnum PI, Incredible Hulk, and Miami Vice season sets being massively dumped at Costco. In the next few months (in May and July), Universal is re-releasing these same titles as repackaged season sets.

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
Just because there is a lower price on those sets doesn't mean anything. It just means that Walmart was able to buy in bulk, to sell at that cheaper price point and that Universal wanted to clear out old stock. Additionally, Universal has been re-releasing a lot of their TV series titles in a repackaged format. Also, weren't a few of those Rockford Files seaosn sets released as single sided DVDs?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
UniversalPhan said:
Also, weren't a few of those Rockford Files seaosn sets released as single sided DVDs?
With the exception of season 1, the other seasons were single-sided discs.

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, looks like I'll be getting several seasons of Rockford Files. What a great price.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm willing to pick up season 1 again, if and when it is re-released as single-sided dvd discs.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
And maybe Vol 2 of the Movie Collection will finally be released.(There is a German release -PAL R2 - but I haven't found any confirmation on whether the original English dialogue is present).

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I just got the German release. The English dialogue tracks are all intact. The movie titles (not all the credits--literally just the titles) are the only elements not available in the original English versions.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
FanCollector said:
I just got the German release. The English dialogue tracks are all intact. The movie titles (not all the credits--literally just the titles) are the only elements not available in the original English versions.
Thanks for responding.If you don't mind, I have two other questions about the Vol 2 set.From Amazon.De, it appears that this is a four disc set. Is that true?

Second, how does the quality compare to the other RF releases? is it comparable?

David

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
David Weicker said:
Thanks for responding.If you don't mind, I have two other questions about the Vol 2 set.From Amazon.De, it appears that this is a four disc set. Is that true?Second, how does the quality compare to the other RF releases? is it comparable?David
Yes, four discs. Each movie is on its own disc in a slimcase, and all four slimcases are in a cardboard outer box. The quality is comparable to the first set of tv-movies released here. That is to say, perfectly ok but not stunning--perhaps a shade below the regular episodes which probably got a little more clean-up work. There is slight PAL speed-up, but it isn't noticeable most of the time.

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
The Columbo movies were also done in the same way with that complete series set that was released some time ago. One movie per disk.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
stuart margolin [angel] was in this weeks conclusion of a two part ncis story.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I picked up Season 1 today at Target for 12.99. my local store only stocks season 1. Anyone still spotting the other seasons at Walmart?For some odd reason when I did the Play all feature on disc 1 it went to the second episode. I'll have to pay attention that other discs don't do the same. I am sure there are many Rockford Files threads in fact some should be merged, so this has probably been mentioned but how annoying is it to have that Universal logo blaring at the start of every episode! please tell me after season 1 they stopped that?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I am hoping that universal will put together a complete series package like they did with Magnum and Columbo that uses single sided discs and more compact packaging.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Powell&Pressburger said:
I picked up Season 1 today at Target for 12.99. my local store only stocks season 1. Anyone still spotting the other seasons at Walmart?For some odd reason when I did the Play all feature on disc 1 it went to the second episode. I'll have to pay attention that other discs don't do the same.I am sure there are many Rockford Files threads in fact some should be merged, so this has probably been mentioned but how annoying is it to have that Universal logo blaring at the start of every episode! please tell me after season 1 they stopped that?
Check it quickly, be prepared to make several exchanges, and *still* not have a 100% playable copy. I exchanged my S1 set *3* times at Target before I finally explained to them that every copy I'd gotten froze/skipped on at least one episode, typically several, and I didn't expect any different from yet another copy so asked for a refund rather than waste more of my time as well as theirs. As I had the receipts for all the prior exchanges they agreed that a refund *was* the better solution. I'm now waiting for Uni to re-release on SS discs so I can complete my collection.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I may picked up S1 again as I am not a fan of double sided disks. I am also hoping to pick up the movies down the road as I am huge Rockford Files fan!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The only way I can watch and enjoy Universal flippers is on my Playstation 3. Every other option ranging from PC's to dedicated DVD players of several types and other game consoles has them freezing, skipping sections, etc.

But for whatever reason when played on my Playstation 3, these poor quality discs play just fine.
Powell&Pressburger said:
I am sure there are many Rockford Files threads in fact some should be merged, so this has probably been mentioned but how annoying is it to have that Universal logo blaring at the start of every episode! please tell me after season 1 they stopped that?

I can't guarantee it specifically for these particular sets without checking, but they toned this down eventually in general on their releases as I was reminded the past few evenings while watching another Universal DVD set.

It only played during the opening sequence after loading the disc up and didn't reappear at the start of every episode. Much better than the situation was back around 2005 when they were starting to get heavily involved with tv shows on DVD.

I like this opening as far as modern CGI stuff goes, but a little of it goes a long way (It recognizes their heritage and has a fair bit of pomp and circumstance unlike some other modern ones that almost seem like they don't want you to even notice the company name behind it).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks