What's new

Rockford Files (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have decided to watch S6 of Rockford files as Rockford Files is one of all-time favorite shows. I really like Angel, especially his schemes.

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
You're right about Angel. Rockford Files is also one of my all-time favorite shows. James Gardner is perfectly suited for the role and I really enjoy those scenes with the Firebird. In fact, another very good TV show with James Gardner is Maverick, it's a western but James Gardner steal the show.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I'm still waiting for Volume 2 of The Rockford Files Movie Collection. After Volume 1, there are four more of the 1990's productions remaining to be issued on DVD. I recorded all of these standard-maintaining T.V. movies at the time, and I'm keeping the VHS tapes while I'm waiting. How about it, Universal?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
There just isn't a dull episode in the series. I caught it in reruns as a kid but started watching again on Netflix this past year. Of all the crazy things, I had a college class with a guy whose name was James Garner! It hit me that I hadn't watched Rockford in ages so I went home after class and starte watching and now I have my oldest son hooked on it as well.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
They really hold up, as fun mysteries, as interesting character studies, as ultra-cool 70's nostalgia, and especially as maximum-strength slugs of the great James Garner.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
davidmatychuk said:
They really hold up, as fun mysteries, as interesting character studies, as ultra-cool 70's nostalgia, and especially as maximum-strength slugs of the great James Garner.
There are few shows that still hold up today, i.e. Three's Company, Rockford Files, Emergency!, Adam-12, Star Trek, Twilight Zone, Magnum PI, etc. Rockford Files, especially the answering machine and the guest starr!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I really like the series (watched it during first run too) and was pleasantly surprised at just how well it's held up. Right now I just want Uni to re-release S1 on SS discs! I've *never* gotten a S1 set that didn't skip/hang on at least 1 episode per disc/side (I've had 4 at this point)! Because of that I don't own a copy of S1 as they've all gone back. :(

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Seems kinda silly to me that the rest of the tv movies haven't been released. Even in a MOD format, at least it would allow fans to finish out the Rockford material.

But I am a 'completist', I guess. Drives me nuts when I only get part of a series and not the entire thing. Like I have Sanford and Son, but I want someone to release 'Sanford', the Redd Foxx sequel sitcom.

And sure, by the time the tv movies were made the cast was older but they kept the tone of the series pretty darned well.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Universal has been doing a pretty good job releasing many of their most popular shows in Complete Series formats (Columbo, Murder She Wrote, Magnum). I figure that they'll get around to Rockford, which probably means a separate release for the rest of the tv movies.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Late last night, I watched my home-recorded VHS tape of "Punishment And Crime", the TV movie from September 18, 1996 (I didn't need to check that on the Internet because I wrote it on the label that day). What a talent he was! James Garner set a Hollywood standard for personal class long ago, and today's top stars are still emulating his choices, his persona, and his charm. Going back and forth between quality TV and quality movies because quality is what matters? James Garner got there 50 years ago.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Joseph J.D said:
I think in light of James Garner's passing, Universal should seriously consider releasing Volume 2 and complete this collection once and for all. It makes no sense to me that his most popular character's adventures are incomplete on DVD after all these years.
TCM Vault has a relationship with Universal, and they've done some great exclusive releases of Universal movies on DVD. Maybe "The Rockford Files Movie Collection Volume 2" is a job for them.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I am watching the longer pilot episode right now... William Smith is hanging upside down! :)
In Feb 2011, I asked about vol 2 of the movies:
Dear Rickard,Thank you for contacting us.No date has been announced for the DVD release of "The Rockford Files: Movie Collection, Vol. 2." A multitude of factors influence the timing and content of our DVD releases. Unfortunately, no further information is available at this time.For a listing of upcoming releases, please check our website periodically at: nbcuniversalstore.com. You might also wish to subscribe to our online newsletter for product announcements at http://signup.universalstudios.com/form/39. We appreciate your interest and hope that you will continue to enjoy Universal products.Sincerely,Consumer RelationsUNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There is a German release of the Movies Vol 2. It is Region 2 and PAL, but the four movies look good.It includes the original English soundtrack, and the credits are in English. The only thing in German is the Episode on-screen Title (and of course the DVD case).It was about $30 from Amazon DE

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
James Scott Rockford, mostly short Jim, spent five years in prison at San Quentin innocent. After his rehabilitation, he settled as a private investigator. He lives on the beach in Malibu, Paradise Cove Road 29, in a caravan, which also serves him as an office. In solving his cases by his father Rocky, his girlfriend and lawyer Beth and his former cellmate, Angel often help. Access to police files gives him his friend the policeman Dennis Becker, but repeatedly executes although always overworked, annoyed and worried about his job related services for Jim Rockford. Rockford's fee is $ 200 per day plus expenses, but often remain him his client guilty. As a detective, Jim Rockford is distinguished from his ingenuity, empathy, and public speaking skills. With the help of a small mobile printer press he can quickly establish a business card and thus a suitable cover for his activities and thus receives usually the desired information. He rarely carries a gun (which he already does not have permission). These he kept on in his kitchen in a coffee can. The coffee would be good to protect the weapon against the salty sea air, as Rockford often told in jest.The above is Google-translated from the description on Amazon.de. Thanks for the heads-up!

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I am wondering if, with Mr. Garner's passing, WB may start considering the second round of Rockford Files telefilms?? Or Young Maverick, due to his appearance in the first episode??

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I remember that James Whitmore Jr. guested in a couple of Rockford episodes as private-eye wannabe Fred Beamer.

In one of those eps, Beamer was beaten up three times, if I recall correctly. What made me laugh, was that, after each fight, Beamer would have yet another piece of white adhesive tape holding his glasses together. :lol:

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
First, I love the show and I agree with the poster who said there are no dull episodes. It was huge at the time and unique. A handsome detective was nothing new but his unending string of bad luck and relationship with the official police was novel. When you watch a lot of episodes there are some things which can be frustrating. For example, why do all police captains/lieutenants hate him? Also, who would continue to put up with Angel and the trouble he brings? Then again who would have put up with Gilligan or Dr. Zachary Smith? Lastly, couldn't he take any precautions to prevent getting stiffed on his bill? Didn't he ever think of a contract?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
bretmaverick2 said:
I am wondering if, with Mr. Garner's passing, WB may start considering the second round of Rockford Files telefilms?? Or Young Maverick, due to his appearance in the first episode??
Just as a "Heads Up", the pilot for "Young Maverick" --- which featured both Bret and Bart Maverick (James Garner/Jack Kelly) has been available on commercial DVD for quite some time:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Maverick-James-Garner/dp/B0013D8M4E/

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Joseph Bolus said:
Just as a "Heads Up", the pilot for "Young Maverick" --- which featured both Bret and Bart Maverick (James Garner/Jack Kelly) has been available on commercial DVD for quite some time:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Maverick-James-Garner/dp/B0013D8M4E/

Oh I definately have the "The New Maverick" DVD!! But as a huge Garner fan and someone that likes to have things completed, I really want a release of 'Young Maverick' and the second volume of 'Rockford Files' telefilms!!

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Bumping this seven year old thread of one of my favorite TV shows (along with Maverick) to include some links that possibly some fans of the show haven't yet seen.

The first is a compilation of all those great J-turns featured in the series:

The Rockford Files - J-turn compilation - YouTube

Next up is a short behind the scenes fan-made video (doesn't include live video from the cast or crew) from a fan who stumbled upon the crew on location for the filming of The Return of the Black Shadow episode and snapped a few stills of cast and crew:

Rockford, as well as Adam 12, amongst many others filmed on my street numerous times.
Here is a comprehensive list of Rockford locations and photos, which also includes the addresses.

The home page contains the latest entry, so if you scroll down past the discussions to the bottom right corner and click 'older posts' you continue to see more entries as you click.
I think it still may accept new additions to the blog, so if anyone knows of other locations not listed, maybe get them included?

Most of the time, I get more jazzed when I see a location up close and personal in real life, that was used in a movie or TV episode , than I would from actually seeing an actor!

The next best thing is seeing a before and after video (or stills) comparison of things I've seen on the big or small screen.
With that in mind, here's this (click on images to enlarge them):

Lastly, one of three of Jim's cars was put up for sale in 2019. Here's a listing:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks