What's new

Rockford Files R1 12/6 ....!!!!! (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter

Of course, it's possible the review on Amazon may not be accurate. But the reviewer seems to know his "Rockford", so I have no reason to doubt him at this stage. I'll still watch for some "official" comments in the coming weeks.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Matt can you check the runtime of the region 2 set ? i have it listed as 1050 minutes is that correct? and in the R1 Universal Press Release it is listed as 1157 minutes. Something is off.. hmmmm ?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Oh and BTW Rockford Files is Available at Netflix as a 6 Disk set. On Six DVD-9's

Just sayin'

MattHR

Screenwriter
Aryn, I don't have the R2 set...yet. I will be ordering it soon, since the R1 appears to be missing the pilot.

MattHR

Screenwriter

This trend is especially frustrating. Why does Universal cave in to Netflix's demands and supply them with DVD-9s, while consumers must put up with their crappy DVD-18s? Clearly there are more discs in consumers' hands than Netflix's rental stock.

It seems like it would be more trouble to master and press a small quantity of discs for a particular retailer, rather than just make the entire title's run the same format, preferably on DVD-9s.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe

It's not that small a quantity. Have you read how many new discs netflix gets a day?

Also, didn't Universal not include the Kojak pilot or the Columbo pilot on those respective sets?

MattHR

Screenwriter

Kojak's pilot was not included, but Columbo's were. Interestingly, like Rockford, Kojak's pilot is available in R2...on a single-disc release with one additional episode. I'd like to know why these two shows' pilots are not available in R1, but are elsewhere.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe

Looks like Kojak's the only one currently available... R2 Universal lets those Playback single discs go out of print really fast...

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I popped my R2 set in and checked the lengths of the
episodes. Please note that these are PAL speeds, 96% of NTSC.

1 Backlash of the Hunter pt 1 47:50
2 Backlash of the Hunter pt 2 47:47
3 The Kirkoff Case 48:08
4 The Dark and Bloody Ground 48:06
5 The Countess 47:58
6 Exit Prentiss Carr 47:59
7 Tall Woman in Red Wagon 48:04
8 This Case Is Closed pt 1 48:10
9 This Case Is Closed pt 2 47:10
10 The Big Rip-off 47:59
11 Find Me If You Can 48:02
12 In Pursuit of Carol Thorne 48:00
13 The Dexter Crisis 47:58
14 Caledonia - It's Worth a Fortune 48:04
15 Profit and Loss pt 1 48:03
16 Profit and Loss pt 2 48:00
17 Aura Lee, Farewell 47:52
18 Sleight of Hand 47:58
19 Counter Gambit 47:59
20 Claire 46:55
21 Say Goodbye to Jennifer 48:03
22 Charlie Harris at Large 47:54
23 The Four Pound Brick 47:53
24 Just by Accident 48:04
25 Roundabout 47:59

I get this as 1197 min 55 secs in PAL speed.
Converting it to NTSC speed, it will be about 1247 min 50 secs which is
49 minutes and 55 secs per episode which seems to be correct.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe

Great news about the R2 DVDs... hopefully R1 will be the same.

Just wish I hadn't panicked and bought a VHS of the pilot.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I've now seen this set in two more stores that broke streetdate. I'm still tempted, but my willpower remains strong...unless I get confirmation that the pilot is included in the R1 set. Otherwise, I'm ordering the R2 next week.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
The pilot is not included in the R1 set (I just received the set - it's still cold from being outside in the truck).

Gord

MattHR

Screenwriter
Gord, thanks for the confirmation, though not the answer I was hoping for. I just ordered the R2 set from Amazon.co.uk.

I just remembered...the episode "Aura Lee, Farewell" from Season One guest-stars Lindsay Wagner reprising her role from the pilot. IIRC, this episode makes a few references to events from the pilot. Too bad the pilot is not included.

Way to go, Universal! :thumbsdown:

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Yup, Thanks Gord!
Darn that is lame on Universal's part. I guess i wasn't quick enough darn it as Amazon has my set in the shipping soon stages so i can't cancel it. Oh well i guess i am going to have to get by without the pilot. As i can't see myself returning this after it arrives. I will not be able to resist watching it. Universal would be wise to offer up the pilot for those that want it and charge for shipping only. That would be fine with me but probably highly unlikely.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

That would work to i guess. Universal does have a habit of sticking a bonus episode on some of their releases. So hopefully although you will have the R2 set and won't have to worry about it like me :)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I have been watching my Rockford set last few days. Universal has done a terrific job with this set, So far i have had no playback issues, everything has played flawlessly.

Does anyone know if the opening theme had different variations in future seasons? I remember it sounding a little different than it does. Hard to explain really it's great nonetheless.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

You have good ears. From Ed Robertson's definitive book:

"During the Spring of 1975, [Mike] Post added a bridge to the series theme, re-recorded the theme, and released the music as a single...The lengthened version of the theme was so popular that it was ultimately included into the opening sequence of the series, beginning with the second season."

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah maybe Universal has switched Manufacturing plants, although my Disk 2 had some nasty Skuff marks it played ok, still wish they'd opt for DVD 9 thou. I seem to remember a sybdicated version of Rockford that had the show under a different title or Did they shorten it to 30 min I forget. Kindof like how they renamed Emergency to "Emergency One" in syndication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks