What's new

Rockford Files R1 12/6 ....!!!!! (1 Viewer)

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Ah, never knew there were no added footage!
I guess that I am too young to have seen the real pilot.

Anyway, here is a breakdown of the times:

Part 1: total length 49 min 50 sec.
0. 32 sec preview
1. 1 min 9 sec title sequence
2. 34 sec preview of part 2
3. 32 sec end title sequence

Part 2: total length 49 min 46 sec.
0. 6 min 08 sec recap of part 1
1. 1 min 9 sec title sequence
2. 53 sec opening credits
3. 32 sec end title sequence

I recalculated the 25 fps to 24 fps to get NTSC timings.
They should be about 1 or maybe 2 seconds off at the most.
But if I remove all previews, title and end sequences, recap,
opening credits, I end up with 88 minutes and 7 seconds??
That is a bit more than 74 minutes... :frowning:
But is very close to those 90 minutes that your 1994 VHS tape has on the cover...

MattHR

Screenwriter

The VHS cover incorrectly states the running time as 90 minutes, while the actual content runs 74 minutes. Another mistake on the packaging incorrectly indicates the program as "the famous two-part premiere". The premiere was, in fact, a 74-minute movie in a 90-minute timeslot.

RickardL

Supporting Actor

MattHR

Screenwriter

I watched (and noted its running time) just a few days ago, since this topic has been discussed recently. I even sampled my old 2-part version recorded from syndication.

The 74-minute running time was the standard (net) time for a show from the 70's broadcast in a 90-minute timeslot. There are many other examples of this 74-75 minute program ( +/- a few seconds) from the era (usually pilots or telefilms): NIGHT STALKER, COLUMBO, QUINCY, SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN, McCLOUD, etc. Most of these were part of a rotating series of "Movies of the Week" that later became weekly series, while others were just a one-shot event.

The standard hour-long episodes (of that era) were 49-50 minutes, while the half-hour episodes ran 24-25 minutes. That's how we know the 74 minute version is accurate.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
TVshowsonDVD has the cover art up.
well, i like it. its simple and even though its just ahead shot, the coloring and simplicity gets across a vibe of the show better than the cover art that is seen in the trailer on the Mystery Movie titles released in Aug.
the way the copy was integrated on that version made the show look like something out of the Miami Vice or Knight Rider family.

the only thing i would (and hope) is changed would be the inclusion of the Classic Television banner at the top.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Well, I have to say that the pilots are longer:
Columbo pilot 1 Prescription Murder: 98 minutes
Columbo pilot 2 Ransom for a dead man: 95 minutes
McCloud pilot Portrait of a dead girl: 98 minutes
McCloud episode 1 The Man from Taos: 93 minutes
All other episodes are about 73-76 minutes which you said.

I think that the rumoured 74 min pilot of Rockford
is longer or how else would anyone explain the 88 minutes
that I measured from the DVD? And that was not counting
any title music sequences, previews, opening credits, end titles, recaps.
With that included, it is 99 minutes and 36 seconds.

MattHR

Screenwriter
The cover art isn't terrible, but I think it's a bit too "slick", albeit simple. The Rockford character, and show, was not so "polished". I made a few versions that are also simple, but just feel more like the Rockford I know. I tend to like when they use an image or title screen from the actual series, especially for the first season.

http://home.mn.rr.com/starvinmarvin/..._thumbs_LR.jpg

edit: fixed links -- combined images

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Re. "The Rockford Files" -- I've always been a big fan of Jim Garner (not the drummer friend of Jerry Van Dyke's on The Dick Van Dyke Show; I mean the Rockford dude; just a subtle little in-joke there :)) -- And thusly I purchased the entire 6-Tape VHS video series of The Rockford Files several years ago.

But, to my dismay and disappointment, the episodes just didn't seem nearly as good as I remember them from the mid to late 1970s. I found nearly all of the six episodes presented in the VHS set of videos to be rather dull and lifeless, with not even the magnetic presence of Mr. Garner able to revive the scripts. (Just "IMO" of course -- I'm sure Matt is getting ready to strangle me for these anti-Rockford-like comments -- Matt seems to know his "Files" indeed :)).

I enjoyed seeing the guest stars that popped up on the series, and I've always liked Gretchen Corbett as Rockford's #1 female, but the storylines just seemed kind of flat, IMO (on the 1994 MCA/Universal VHS set, at any rate; and I assume they probably picked out six "Best Of" episodes to put in that video series).

Perhaps Matt H. can talk some "Rockford-lovin'" sense into my noggin again, and restore my former faith and admiration of this TV series that I recall watching (and enjoying) back in the day. (Perhaps I was swept away by the fancy-schmancy living quarters in which Mr. Rockford dwelled -- that wonderful, hideous shoe-box of a trailer he lived in for years on the beachfront. Anybody wonder why on Earth he wanted to live in that thing, instead of a nice apartment or a condo or a house maybe? His "Per Day Plus Expenses" detective fees were surely enough to warrant better living accommodations. Wasn't it $200 per day that he charged clients?) ;)

MattHR

Screenwriter

David, don't worry--your neck is safe. I am not the huge "Rockford" expert you think I am. I just enjoy the show. You're right about the scripts--many were pretty flat. It was common for Universal to float many scripts from show to show, retooling them to fit a particular one. There were so many cop/detective/P.I./doctor/lawyer shows produced by Universal during "Rockford"'s era that it's no wonder many of the scripts became mundane.

The success of "Rockford" was always attributed to the likeability of James Garner. Viewers were always very comfortable with him, and enjoyed the chemistry he had with his co-stars and many famous guest-stars. Garner was well-liked in Hollywood, and had no trouble recruiting "A-list" talent to appear on his show, most of whom were good friends off-camera.

My favorite guest-stars included Isaac Hayes, Rita Moreno, Louis Gossett, Jr. and Lauren Bacall, to name just a few. Many of the guest-stars had recurring roles over the show's six seasons. When these then-"A-list" guests appeared, they were always believable in their characters. To me, it never felt like a ratings ploy to feature high-profile guest-stars. I think they all genuinely wanted to appear on the show to work with Garner.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Thank you for saying that. THAT is why I like this show when I don't like similar shows from that era. I've been trying to figure out why, and for some reason, it never clicked until you said that.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Good point, Matt. I imagine it was a difficult task for writers to come up with "new" material week after week, when they were up against very similar fare -- i.e. Barnaby Jones, Mannix, Cannon, Charlie's Angels, Petrocelli, Columbo, McMillan & Wife, McCloud, Toma, Dan August, Starsky And Hutch, Kojak, Baretta, Police Story, Police Woman, Quincy, and S.W.A.T. -- plus probably a dozen others I failed to mention. :)

MattHR

Screenwriter
At least the menus are pretty nice. They really convey the feel of the show. I still don't like the cover art, though. That ridiculous blue tint is all wrong. I've seen that exact photo online, but in its original color. It would look so much better if left untinted.

I added a few additional cover designs to a previous post in this thread. I'm certainly no graphic design professional, but if I do say so myself, I prefer all four of them to the one Universal has chosen to use.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Can anyone confirm or deny if the UK set contains the "James Garner On-Camera Interview"?

Also, are the menu's on the UK set the same as ones on the R1 set?

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I'm just glad that it's FINALLY being released!!
And with a Garner interview!!
BONUS
:D
I wasn't expecting extras with this one!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks