What's new

Rockford files on mill creek (1 Viewer)

morasp

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I see that mill creek has released the Rockford files on DVD and was wondering how it compared to the Universal release. I was going to purchase season one for $6.99 on Amazon to try it out but was hoping someone had already purchased it.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I see that mill creek has released the Rockford files on DVD and was wondering how it compared to the Universal release. I was going to purchase season one for $6.99 on Amazon to try it out but was hoping someone had already purchased it.

Per this review on Amazon for the first-season Mill Creek Rockford release, this release is on 4 single-sided discs, 6 outings per disc, as compared to the Universal one, which had 3 doubles, and 4 outings on each side of each double, IIRC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...f=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01EYW3312

morasp

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Last edited:

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I purchased season 1 of the older DVD set a few years ago. I remember the show as a child barely watched the DVDs. Recently, I popped it back in & really got into it. Really an excellent show!

I'd like to pick up more seasons but wasn't sure which version to get. I know the newer version is single sided but how is the picture quality?

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
I have the complete series before MC got ahold of it. PQ is decent but has not been remastered. Basically if you've got your expectations set too high you will be disappointed. Great series though, I'm down to the last 4 episodes and then the TV movies. I'll wait a few years and watch it again.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I have the complete series before MC got ahold of it. PQ is decent but has not been remastered. Basically if you've got your expectations set too high you will be disappointed. Great series though, I'm down to the last 4 episodes and then the TV movies. I'll wait a few years and watch it again.
Which bugs me to no end since there were HD transfers available on Netflix up until 1-1-17.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Some of the reviews on Amazon say that the Mill Creek release uses the remastered transfers. It looks pretty good to me. I think Season 1 was probably the best of the series. There are a lot of good episodes.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I only have the old edition of season 1. I might have to buy a season of the Mill Creek release to try it.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
My library happened to have the Mill Creek version of season 1. I brought home to watch against my original copy. The Mill Creek release is a definite improvement to me. A lot of the little black specks have are gone, the color is more vibrant, the image is simply much cleaner. Not perfect but I'm going to pick up the new editions since they're pretty cheap. A pretty name ce upgrade to my eyes.

Last edited:

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm going to have to look into the Mill Creek releases of The Rockford Files.

I still have the season 1 flippers from Universal, which have a few playing issues, so upgrading would make sense. But I still wonder if an HD set might be coming at some point.

On Netflix, the Rockford episodes definitely looked improved over my original dvds. So why not just do an HD release?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Does Mill Creek typically use SDH on their releases? I believe the Universal releases did.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If I didn't have all the dvd sets already I'd jump on this, but I'm not that rich or that young to double-dip for slightly better picture quality.
I do have the DVD sets - twice. The original releases, except for S1 as I never got a copy that didn't have playback issues, and the full series re-release with the SS S1 discs. None of the new set has been opened. I did a pre-order simply to lock in the reduced price MC stuff always has. If it gets low enough I may bite, but I know I'll be perfectly happy with my DVD set if I decide to give it a pass.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Rockford Files on Blu is truly Great news! For me, if there was only one TV series from the '70s that I would wish to get a HD treatment, it's this one! If they're not included, I'm sorry for those that need to have subtitles or CC, especially if the composition and encoding files already exist from the remastered episodes for cable syndication...if Universal has already done the work for them, I'm hoping that Mill Creek will include them...for guys like me, it's not an issue...but I sympathize!

Rockford Files on Blu! Yay!!!

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
WOW! Thanks for the info and link, Robert. This is great news! I will definitely be getting this!

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
I literally just finished watching my DVD set this week. I'd buy it on blu but MC isnt getting any of my business until they start including CC or subtitles. Their loss. I won't watch the DVD set again for probably 4 or 5 years. I think they're losing more sales than they realize.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I literally just finished watching my DVD set this week. I'd buy it on blu but MC isnt getting any of my business until they start including CC or subtitles. Their loss. I won't watch the DVD set again for probably 4 or 5 years. I think they're losing more sales than they realize.

It isn't just that that has made me dislike many Mill Creek releases-- it's that the chapter stops are much too far between as well (IOW, you think that when the screen fades to black, you're going to another chapter, but you're still in the same chapter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javalsu