1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockford Files on DVD, what happened?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jose, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Jose

Jose Auditioning

I remember a long while back there was a mention Rockford was a future DVD release. Since then, I've heard nothing about it anywhere. It's amazing to me it hasn't been released yet.

I also hope they eventually release the 90s TV movies, most of which were good and containing all the old characters that were still alive.

Hopefully they aren't waiting for a movie remake or something like that. Anyone heard anything?

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Maybe the fact that Universal went on the auction block had something to do with it.

3. WillG

WillG Producer

Thanks for Posing this question. I had the same one but for some reason always forgot to post it. My father loves Rockford and I was waiting for this to come out as I thought it would be a great Birthday/Christmas/Father's Day gift for him. Fortunately he loves "The Honeymooners" so that should suffice for now )assuming it indeed comes out in November)

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

See post #2 for the answer.

Six other announced titles were "lost" as a result (Magnum, Sliders, Emergency, Dragnet (original), Quantum Leap, & Earth: Final Conflict).

Maybe now that the merger with NBC is getting to the finalization stage, these can perhaps get back on track.

5. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

This is a set I'd buy in a heartbeat...

6. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

7. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

Of all of the '70's "cop" shows, "Rockford" has perhaps held up the best. It wasn't just a matter of having a good lead actor (they all did), but also the great writing and use of an excellent supporting cast.

Although I enjoyed "Cannon", "Barnaby Jones", "Mannix", et al, they just don't hold up as well. "Hawaii 5-O" is still quite watchable, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it on DVD especially if a feature film gets made.

Of the '80's cop shows, I would definitely pick up "Matlock" (at least through and including the Brynn Thayer seasons).

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Rick P, thanks for throwing that in. I meant to say so during the post, but got distracted, and when I came back I forgot and just submitted.

Keep in mind that Battlestar Galactica was also announced in that group, and was similarly "lost" for a while. Now we're all enjoying it, so there IS hope.

The difference is that Galactica has a new remake miniseries coming out this December, and so there was more motivation there to tie into those sales. Dragnet was remade though, and we didn't see DVDs for that. In fact, Uni announced and then cancelled plans for DVDs for the remake show!

Who knows, maybe Uni's logic use will cause them to get Rockford out on DVD soon because James Garner will re=appear on TV soon in a recurring role on 8 Simple Rules. That's as logical a tie-in as any.

Magnum PI is being considered for a remake film, so perhaps it will cause THAT one's old show to hit DVD. Movie remakes may hold more water with Uni (like Hulk did) than a new TV series version (like Dragnet). I hope so, anyway, because I'm personally wanting Six Million Dollar Man, and the proposed new Jim Carrey comedy remake film of THAT property should at least earn the fans of that show some DVDs of the series, so we have something to cherish while avoiding the embarassment of the remake. [​IMG]

9. Jerome

Jerome Second Unit

10. Jerome

Jerome Second Unit

11. Jonathan.e

Jonathan.e Stunt Coordinator

Thie best of discs are due out in the UK so are probably preferable as their packaging will be in English. Very, very disappointed that they’ve gone for this format instead of seasons as promised originally. The total silence on Rockford is not encouraging.

12. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

I think full seasons of many of our fav Universal shows will hit next year. 2003 has been a write off. [​IMG]

13. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor
    Supporter

I am really hoping Rockford Files comes out soon. I hate watching the butchered shows currently in syndication. It hurts a detective show when they cut out details, and you are left after a commercial break wondering how Rockford suddenly got into a hotel room, or a party. Argghhh!!!

14. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

I would buy every episode of the Rockford Files if Universal would release them.