What's new

Rockford Files on DVD, what happened? (1 Viewer)

Jose

Auditioning
I remember a long while back there was a mention Rockford was a future DVD release. Since then, I've heard nothing about it anywhere. It's amazing to me it hasn't been released yet.

I also hope they eventually release the 90s TV movies, most of which were good and containing all the old characters that were still alive.

Hopefully they aren't waiting for a movie remake or something like that. Anyone heard anything?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for Posing this question. I had the same one but for some reason always forgot to post it. My father loves Rockford and I was waiting for this to come out as I thought it would be a great Birthday/Christmas/Father's Day gift for him. Fortunately he loves "The Honeymooners" so that should suffice for now )assuming it indeed comes out in November)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
See post #2 for the answer.

Six other announced titles were "lost" as a result (Magnum, Sliders, Emergency, Dragnet (original), Quantum Leap, & Earth: Final Conflict).

Maybe now that the merger with NBC is getting to the finalization stage, these can perhaps get back on track.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Six other announced titles were "lost" as a result (Magnum, Sliders, Emergency, Dragnet (original), Quantum Leap, & Earth: Final Conflict).
Only 1st 2 seasons of E:FC, 3,4 and 5 are out now from ADV (for $29.95[1] in 16:9 anamorphic no less)

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Of all of the '70's "cop" shows, "Rockford" has perhaps held up the best. It wasn't just a matter of having a good lead actor (they all did), but also the great writing and use of an excellent supporting cast.

Although I enjoyed "Cannon", "Barnaby Jones", "Mannix", et al, they just don't hold up as well. "Hawaii 5-O" is still quite watchable, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it on DVD especially if a feature film gets made.

Of the '80's cop shows, I would definitely pick up "Matlock" (at least through and including the Brynn Thayer seasons).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Rick P, thanks for throwing that in. I meant to say so during the post, but got distracted, and when I came back I forgot and just submitted.

Keep in mind that Battlestar Galactica was also announced in that group, and was similarly "lost" for a while. Now we're all enjoying it, so there IS hope.

The difference is that Galactica has a new remake miniseries coming out this December, and so there was more motivation there to tie into those sales. Dragnet was remade though, and we didn't see DVDs for that. In fact, Uni announced and then cancelled plans for DVDs for the remake show!

Who knows, maybe Uni's logic use will cause them to get Rockford out on DVD soon because James Garner will re=appear on TV soon in a recurring role on 8 Simple Rules. That's as logical a tie-in as any.

Magnum PI is being considered for a remake film, so perhaps it will cause THAT one's old show to hit DVD. Movie remakes may hold more water with Uni (like Hulk did) than a new TV series version (like Dragnet). I hope so, anyway, because I'm personally wanting Six Million Dollar Man, and the proposed new Jim Carrey comedy remake film of THAT property should at least earn the fans of that show some DVDs of the series, so we have something to cherish while avoiding the embarassment of the remake. :frowning:

Jonathan.e

Stunt Coordinator
Thie best of discs are due out in the UK so are probably preferable as their packaging will be in English. Very, very disappointed that they’ve gone for this format instead of seasons as promised originally. The total silence on Rockford is not encouraging.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am really hoping Rockford Files comes out soon. I hate watching the butchered shows currently in syndication. It hurts a detective show when they cut out details, and you are left after a commercial break wondering how Rockford suddenly got into a hotel room, or a party. Argghhh!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks