Rockets vs. Axiom (value speakers)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Joe Szott, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I currently have JBL S36s in my 5.1 setup, and a JBL S Center II. Since these tend to go for a good amount of money since being discontinued, was thinking about selling and upgrading to either an Axiom 5.1 setup or Rockets ELT setup. Two questions:

Would I notice much of a difference from the JBL studios to the Axiom/Rockets? I like the JBLs, but always willing to try something new in the name of unnecessary upgraditis.

And for those that have tried Rockets and Axioms, what were your impressions of each? I know they are both great speaker lines and fairly close in sound, but there must be differences. The ones I was eyeballing were the Rocket ELT bookshelf speakers and center, or the Axiom VP150, F/L Mt3i, and QS4 for surrounds.

Any opinions about these speakers and their high/low points?

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

almost forgot, we use our HT for probably 80% DVDs/TV and 20% music. We have an SVS 20-39 PC+, so not going to buy any subs in the near future [​IMG] These speakers will be powered by an Outlaw 950 via an Outlaw 750 (165 w/ch into 5 channels.) If that helps at all...

3. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

The Axioms and Rockets do not sound a lot a like, and they will both sound different from your JBLs.

Other than that, I have nothing to offer. [​IMG]

Both are good, both will satisfy the upgrade need. [​IMG]

4. Bhavesh

Bhavesh Stunt Coordinator

Joe, the M3 and the VP150 have different woofers and won't be timbre-matched. The M22 might be a better choice for the fronts. Feel free to post at the axiom board as well - They're not as biased as you might think[​IMG]

5. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Joe,

I have a ELT package here that I use with a dual SVS 20-39CS+ combo...I have been extremely happy with the performance of these speakers. I would take a very hard look at the ELT's as the center speaker is amazing to say the least especially when you consider the price they are selling these for. The mains do a very good job and they are voiced a bit brighter than the rest of Rocket lineup...no padding on top with these. [​IMG] The mains do rolloff pretty quickly around 70hz so they will definitely need a sub but you already have that covered...

I can't really comment on the Axioms but I have read both good and bad comments...some people like the sound and some don't...If at all possible I would see if you can get both speakers in your room with your gear to see what sound is for you. The Rockets do use REAL wood veneer where the Axioms are Vinyl...something to consider as well..Good luck with your decision! [​IMG]

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Bob,

When you say mains, do you mean the ELT L/R mains?

Thanks for all the good feedback folks. The more I look, the more I drift a bit towards the ELT package minus the sub.

7. CharlieC

CharlieC Stunt Coordinator

Well, about 2 years ago I was in the same boat so I ordered speakers from Axiom(M22) and Swan Divas(2.1) to try out.

I was almost impartial as to which pair I preferred as I was a newbie. Eventually, I kept the Divas 2.1 because at around the same price, I am happier with the Divas 2.1 due to its better finish.

I have subsequently upgraded to Rockets and I had gone up to AV123 several times.

While I was at the office, I saw the ELT package though I have not listened to them. They look better than Axiom because of the fine finish.

8. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Joe,

Your JBL S36's are pretty well regarded speakers. I am not sure if going to the ELT's or the M3Ti would be much of an upgrade, if at all.

You should visit both the Axiom and AV123 forums, and try to locate owners in your area for an audition.

9. harimo

harimo Extra

I upgraded from the same JBL package to the ELT and have never looked back. I am also using the ELT Sub (SW-10). The thing I like about the ELT's are they are doing a fine job with both music and HT. And yes .. the finish will prompt you to change you furniture to keep up the looks !
    Finally, the center speaker is just awesome :)
    Hari

10. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

If that's the case, that sheds a whole new light on the S36's for me. Thanks Hari.

Then I would reiterate, try to hear both speakers.

11. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Joe, yes I do mean the ELT mains...

Seeing as you are located in Dever why don't you contact AV123 and see if they can do a demo of the ELT system for you. They are just up the road in Broomfield about 30 minutes north of Denver...Good luck and let us know what you decide! [​IMG]

12. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

avs123 is in Broomfield?!? Uh, that's where I live, right on the Broomfield/Westminster town division. Thanks for that tidbit. Damn Bob, you are the man!

Curtis - Yeah, I'm unsure of the quality increase from the JBLs. Just since the JBLs were discontinued I can sell the S center for ~$300 (paid $130) and the S36s for $200/pr (Paid $150.) Figure might as well take avantage of a good situation while it lasts [​IMG]

Thanks for the good word hari and CharlieC.

13. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Geez...can't beat that!