Rockets vs. Axiom...days away from spending

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marty Carry, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Marty Carry

Marty Carry Extra

I have spent quite a bit of time on this site today and it seems that 2 names kept repeating themselves....axiom and Rockets. I first went to the axiom site and felt like "this is it" these look perfect..but before I turned off the computer I said lets see what the rocket thing is all about. Wow, these look great. I am looking at buying one or the other top of the line ht package option. I definately watch more movies than listen to music however this may change with all of this great product coming my way. I also want to make sure that I receive excellent customer service and long term realibility with this purchase. Let me have it.

Also, I am looking at the yamaha rx-v3300 receiver (one step from the flagship). I would like to keep my receiver at or very near $1000. I feel like I am leaning towards the rockets does anyone feel that there is something better out there for $1000 than that receiver that will also compliment the rockets and or axioms better?

Thanks, I look forward to and will appreciate your feedback.
    Marty

2. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

Hi Marty,

Just thought I'd throw in another couple of speaker names that are frequently mentioned here: Ascend Acoustics and Dahlquist. I think you'll find that the products from these two companies are equally worthy of your consideration along with Axiom and Rocket. Do a search on this forum using those two names as your key search words and you'll see what I mean. Ascend is coming out with a new high-end center channel speaker at the end of April/beginning of May which will be an excellent compliment to their CBM-170 and HTM-200 speakers.

Good luck to you and enjoy the search!

Debbie

3. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Marty- which Axioms or Rockets are you considering? Both make excellent products. What price range if you are interested in other speaker suggestions?

There are many good receivers in the $1K neighborhood; HK, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, etc. What is it that you like about the Yamaha?

4. Marty Carry

Marty Carry Extra

Thanks.
    I am looking at the Axiom Epic 80 package which has the m80ti towers Qs8 surrounds, vp150 center and the ep350 woofer.
    For the Rocket I am looking at the Ht Package #2 which is
    the rs 750 Tower, Rss 300 Rears and the rsc200 Center. I already have a decent woofer if I go this route.

The Yamaha rx-v3300 receiver looks like an outstanding value for the buck. It is just one step down from the flagship for a lot less money. But I am open to suggestions, I am far from being a pro at this if anyone has any suggestions on a better receiver (quality, dependability, versatility, power) I would appreciate the feedback. Marty

5. Albert Damico

Albert Damico Stunt Coordinator

I have received excellent service from Axiom as well as advice. Their prices include shipping and the speakers are outstanding. I have no knowledge of Rockets, other than what is posted, but I am sure that they are equally fine. One item, though, look at the ohms of both speakers. I believe that the rockets are all 4ohm speakers, not sure about it though. Don't know if the Axioms are or not, but think about how much power you are going to need, based on your room size, power requirements for the speakers, and how loud you like hear your material, before you make your receiver choice. Also, aren't the Axiom subs all passive? You might want to double check. If they are, how are you planning to power it? Again, this may play a part in what receiver you choose and/or your need to purchase a seperate amp for the sub. Regardless, just some thoughts. I have the Axiom VP-150 center and the QS4's. They are outstanding speakers that match my system well.

6. Dan Mastro

Dan Mastro Agent

i've had the epic 60 system for almost 4 months now, driven by rxv1300 yammi. originlly wife cringed with the $$$ amount; she doesn't now. playing her cd's or watching movies, it's great; the sub is powered and will rattle the glasses in the kitchen. the toughest part is waiting 2 days to get them once you order. be sure to ask if in stock. order on a monday, and schedule wednesday off so you can set up, play with them, and be blown away.

7. Marty Carry

Marty Carry Extra

So Dan you are thinking that if I get the Epic 80 with the yamaha 3300 I will be blown to the curb! Thanks, mc.

8. Leon O

Leon O Stunt Coordinator

Marty, both Axiom and Rocket were near the top of my list. However, I ultimately went with the Dahlquist QX Series. The sound quality of the Dahlquist QX10 is very competitive with the other speakers I auditioned extensively (B&W 604's series, Paradigm Studio 100's and Monitor Audio Silver S8's), but I spent half as much [​IMG] I've been very pleased with the Dahl's. They also blend very well with my SVS Subwoofer.

Regarding Axiom & Rocket, your decision probably comes down to: Brightness & Efficiency (Axiom) or Smoother sound and Looks (Rocket).

I believe both companies produce outstanding products at a great value.

Rocket / Onix just announced an integrated AV amp that might be investigating.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

9. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

I have a Rocket package 0 as well as a set of Onix Ref 1's. In my opinion the RSC 200 in the best center speaker that I have heard for under $1000.00. The 750's are a laid back and airy speaker but they are soooo smooth and the bass is tight and punchy! The finish on the Rockets is something that is unbelievable to see on a sub 2k speaker package. I love my Rockets for HT and I wouldn't trade them for anything within their price range. Give Sean over at av123.com a call and he will be able to answer all of your questions. Have you checked on audioenvy.com to see if their is a Rocket owner in your area that would be willing to give you a audition? Good luck with your search![​IMG]

10. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

The Rocket 750/200 front - very impressive. My recent tests proved me wrong about quality under 4000.00

The top end will fool some people. They never sound bright.

Eric