What's new

rockets rs150 and swan 2.1 (1 Viewer)

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
hey guys,

Just found a window to be able to post after so much production work in the office. Anyways, one of the factors that makes me buy things is user feedback. I bought SVS because of positive feedback and not through audition. I know that ears is always the best route. I'm very happy though with my 20-39 Pci.

I would like to know people's feedback here who have auditioned or an owner of both the Onix Rockets RS150 and the Swan 2.1 speakers. These factor can really affect my decision and it will really help. Question such as I like RS150 over 2.1 or vice versa because.... And other things you might want to add will also be very beneficial for my decisioning.

Thanks guys!!!

Neil

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
From what I have read in the past it would be a better comparion between the Rocket 250 and the Swan 2.1.

But I two would be curious to see if anyone has heard the 150 along side the 2.1.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

Prior to the Rockets, Mark was a distributor for the Swans. Hence the similar look.

I agree, the 2.1s (and C3 & 5.2s) are a closer match to the 250s (and RSC200 & 550s). Of course, Swans offer a "value" version (sans wood veneer), and are easier to drive. Soundwise, all six of those models are winners.

If you get the 2.1s, what "matching" speakers can you upgrade too? Answer: the 5.2s and the C3 center (all use the same drivers).

If you get the 150s, where is your upgrade path? RSC100 center? 750s? If going the Rocket route, your better off with the 250s.

150s will be discontinued soon. Better hurry if that is the direction that you want to take.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
I would look at the ELT-CSE as a more natural competitor to the 2.1 than the RS-150 is.

In either case, it would be REALLY tough to make a decision without listening to both.

They are both fairly small bookshelf speakers, with requisite small shipping charges. Try both, and return the ones you don't want...

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Fairly small bookshelves? The Swan 2.1's are huge....they weigh right around 27lbs each and stand 16" high. I would hardly call that a small bookshelf speaker. They are more like monitor speakers.

Plus I'm not sure that the Rocket CSE is a good comparison. It is a center channel turned on its side. 3-way design. The Swan is a 2-way speaker. I would think that the music performance from the Swan would be better than the CSE but for movies they might be closer. Both would need a GOOD sub though.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
David ... I have listened at length to the ELT-CSE's ... and they are REALLY good. I have compared them to the Axiom M22-ti's, Paradigm Studio 20's, Ascend 170's, Klipsch RB-5, AND AV123's own 250 Mark II...

They are well worth a listen, and are NOT just a "three way center channel turned on its side" ... YES, the design works well as a center channel. So do the Ascend 340, several NHT designs... etc....

The ELT-CSE'e by the way, stand 20 inches tall and weigh 20 pounds, and to me, YES, they are fairly small. Of course, I have had Klipschhorns, IRS Sigmas, Ref 3's, RS-1K's ... etc.. the average weighing 150 pounds and standing 54 inches tall. Perhaps I am skewed... :)

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not saying they aren't worth a listen....you might want to read my posts again. I was just stating that the Swans or the Rockets for that matter are not relatively "small bookshelf" speakers. If a 16" or 20" tall, close to 30lbs speaker is what you consider small and inexpensive to ship.....well, I guess we will just agree to disagree on that one :)

Jon Lane

Stunt Coordinator
I think David is right on the mark. The RS250 is in the nearly identical format class as the 2.1. The CSE, on the other hand, is not a bentwood horizontally-symmetrical large 165mm two-way, which is what both the 2.1 and RS250 are.

IMO a comparison between the ELT CSE and the 2.1 would be out-of-class.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Hmmmmmm... THIS sounds like someone needs to have a blind test shootout ...

Good morning, Jon ... Good to "see" you up and about !

Merry Christmas (belated) ...

Jon Lane

Stunt Coordinator
:) Hey Craig, good to see you too. Are you still working for or with Rocket?

Merry belated Christmas to you too, my friend!

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Jon ... Actually, I never started working with AV123/Rocket/Onix ... as of now, I am still a free agent.

Well... My wife does not think ANYTHING about this hobby is free... ;)

Jon Lane

Stunt Coordinator
Cool. Hey, I've been meaning to ask you at some point about Infiniti. Do you have any experience with the G coupe?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks