What's new

Rockets made in China? (1 Viewer)

A couple of questions about this series.
1. They told me at 123 these speakers were coming in shipment from China. So they are made thier and should this concern me?

2.The gentelmen told me that speakers are no longer rated in wattage by how much juice they cna handle but are rather rated in amperage and am not sure what that means. He asked if I had a 200 watt amp and said that would be enough to run them.

3.The cross over in the speakers is a 5 way crossover with each speaker getting its own crossover piont. This sounds like a somthing that would cover more of the audio frequencys accurately but was not sure. I assumed most home audio speakers had a two way.

At this price piont $799 for the pair down from $1300 seems like a really good deal so am interested but the made in China thing kinda through me off.

Forgot to ask if these would be a major improvment over my current polk rt 55i both in sound quality and volume output.
Thanks again for all respnses.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Wooden cabinet making is very very expensive in the US. That is why several companies, now including SVS are sourcing at least some of their wood cabinets in China. I beleive HSU is also doing this.

Certain magnets are also not available in the US anymore.

You are going to see more and more products made in China.

China is fast becoming an economic giant of ever-growing proportions. Get used to it.

Yes, major improvement over Polk 55i.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
As Arthur said, MANY cabinets [and speakers] are now being made in China. AV123 in fact makes the outsourced cabinets for SVS and Hsu. Their wood work is top notch.

The 750's that are on sale now love good clean power, the more you can give them the more they will open up.

The progressive crossover in the 750's does allow for spreading the frequencies out more to all the drivers. The 750's are very tight, punchy speakers with fantastic midrange. They are rolled off slightly on the top end but they still have all the detail too. I've heard things on my 750's that I never heard in 10 years of listening to the same recording on my Magnepans. Being slightly attenuated at the top allows you to play them very loud for extended periods of time without fatiguing your ears.

Where are you located at? There are plenty of owners throughout the country that are willing to have people over for auditions. The best place to ask is over on their forum.

IMHO they will be a significant improvement over the Polk 55i's.

Thanks guys. I figured that might have been an ignorant question but do not know much about home theater. I live in Puyallup washington and I think I am the only local who owns anything by SVS let alone 123.
Thanks again.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
You'd be very surprised. I know there are Rocket owners nearby you in Seattle. If you don't mind driving east awhile I know you'll find some in Spokane too. I suspect there are probably more SVS owners near you than Rocket. Go to their forum and request for an audition in the speaker forum. Do it in your own thread, there was a thread there referring people to audioenvy but that site is down now.

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick note that I do not believe that the AV123 factory (Sound Art) makes the Hsu cabinets anymore. They do make cabinets for a number of companies including SVS, VMPS, Epiphany and several undisclosed ones.

GregUVA

Auditioning
You may want to go the AV123 forum to see if you can find anyone in your area with some Rockets to which you can listen.

Rockets, as well as Swans (my favorites, btw), and folks like SVS, HSU and others are getting all the cabinetry (and even some drivers, etc) from China.

the days of "made in China" as a bad thing are long gone (or at least in certain areas).... it is rapidly becoming an economic conglomerate and a vast outsourcing avenue. The research and engineering, as well as some critical areas, are still remaining in the countries of origin (US, etc), but the savings in making things in China are quickly coming down the consumer.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Have had my Rockets for 2 years, had more expensive speakers prior and the Rockets beat them out big time. Love the 750's and really like their center the 200 or bigfoot as we call it. No more up and down on the volume between dialog and action shots. I don't work for Rocket nor get anything from them but I doooo like their speakers. I won't need an upgrade for many many years.
Mike

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey

I would rather pay the extra 100-150 bucks and have the wood work down here, and this is from someone that doesnt have to worry about having their job outsourced.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Arthur S: SVS didn't stop getting their wood veneer on their cabinets here in the U.S. to save money,
they simply couldn't find anyone else here in the U.S. to do it after the U.S. shop that was
handling that for them closed recently.

And if you want a totally U.S.-made cabinet from SVS, then just get one of their fine textured finish
subwoofers. Those cabinets are made right here in the U.S. from the ground up. :)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
where do you think your computer stuff that your typing on right now comes from? How about your TV?
BTW I have one each of SVS subs, one built here in the US and one built in China... I have to say I like the one built in China better but either way its still an SVS an american company. I think its pretty nieve to think that you can only buy US anymore unfortunantly. But regulations on things such as wood have got so bad thats part of it. Also I can remember as a kid of 6 or 7 years old picking strawberries for money so I could buy things I wanted and getting up at 5am to do it. I always had a job since I was just shy of being a baby, the usual paper route, working on a farm for a farmer, working at the local pizza shop in high school and so on. Always had money. The problem is now that I have teenagers they wont let them work at least here in Oregon where I live until they are 18. This is way to bad. To many rules and regs.
And also too many save the owl folks. I guess they never figured out that if you cut a few trees down in a forest but left most of them and happened to get a nest they would probably relocate to another tree. Pretty stupid huh...

MikeNg

Second Unit
Uh oh, I hope this doesn't turn into a 'Support the US economy - buy USA products' thread. Our economic fingers are in way too many different pots now.

As for the Rockets, I think you'll be pleased with the fit and finish of them. Very good craftsmanship. I own one of their subs and couldn't be happier with what I paid for it.

As it has already been said, I think you should be able to find someone 'kinda' local to you if you query the AV123 forum members. Good luck.

Mike:emoji_thumbsup:

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey

Id much rather dump the money in a sinking US economy in another American's pocket that is working just like me to support his family than send more money to a country that will own the United States in less than 50 years, some people look out for their fellow workers, some people just try to save a buck.

UHHHHHHHHH.....As I said am new to buying home theater stuff again. Have not been in the market for over ten years since I made my last major purchase. Yes it used to be back in the day if it was made in China or Japan that it was considerd a cheaply made product. I agree that times have changed, and really do not care where it comes from as long as the quality of the product is good. I would just as soon buy a product put together in korea than here in the U.S. if that product was superior in quality. I have owned 2 ford products one good one bad that is a 50 50 in my book and will probably not purchase another of thier products and am currently surching for foriegn makes now.
So please do not take offence to my question. I was talking speakers and not a $20,000 made in :D car.It really is about the quality and that is why I asked. Again sorry for any offense.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey

Sorry James not to threadcrap, I took your 1st question differently than it was intended. :b

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Nothing to worry about. The AV123 plant, Sound Arts China, makes cabinets for lots of speaker companies.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
My point was I doubt if you can find a speaker that has all US parts in it anymore than you could find an amp or pre/pro with just US parts. It it existed I am sure the people that could afford it would buy it but only if it was any good. Look how we let the overseas folks make better TV's than us. Ever hear of Motorola, Zeineth, RCA and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks