What's new

ROCKETS! Anyone have RS250s yet? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am very curious to find out how these sound. I am ready to order a pair for a 30day audition, and I wanted to hear comments from owners, if any.

The next question is, is the RSC100 going to blend well enough, or do I need the RSC200?

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I have the 250s as my rears and they are amazing, but not nearly as amazing as the 750s and RSC200 up front. WOW! These are some spectacular speakers and you will not be disappointed. Great detail and response. As for the 100 or the 200, I say go for the 200. It's nickname is the bigfoot and it lives up to the name. It is a beast of a speaker. Not only do they sound great, but they are quite pretty to look at as well. Can't beat that. My two cents.

-Edwin

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
John if money and size are not issues, get the RSC 200.

I have the 200 and it is a superb center speaker. Also it has the same tweeter as the RS250s which will blend in a bit better than the 100 (although I am impressed with how good a job of timbre matching the guys did with the whole Rocket line).

Most importantly, the 200 is one of the best center speakers on the market today. You will always be able to hear the dialogue no matter what else is happening.

A final reason for the 200 is that if you later decide to get 550s or 750s in a large room, the 200 will have no trouble matching them at reference levels.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I've had the 250's for about a year and a half now, and find them to be extraordinary monitors. They are detailed, but not too bright with acceptable bass for a bookshelf. I think they have better synergy with the 750's than the 550's though. They have the same ring radiator as Bigfoot, and the 750's, so for an upgrade path, I would nudge you toward using Bigfoot as the center. I normally use the 250's in the rear, but have experimented with them up front in a 2 channel configuration. I put them on 30" stands so the tweeter is close to ear height at the sitting position. They are rear ported so I've found that giving them a little room to breath by at least trying to get them a couple of feet off the back wall and slightly toed in gives you the best soundstage, and it throws a soundstage that is not only deep but wide as well. If you have a TV in between, the 250's sound best to me if they are pulled forward of the front plane of the TV 6" or so to get the best depth out of the soundstage. About a nine foot spread has worked best for me.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My current speakers are just about 1' in front of my TV, and a pretty good distance from the wall. I can't get a 9' separation, but I can get about 7-8, which is giving me good imaging right now in my room. My stands are 26" tall, which will put the tweeters about right for me as well, though they are going to look funny on my stands, which have a very large, rectangular top plate...

My only big concern with Bigfoot is that it is 4 Ohms. My receiver, a Marantz SR8300, states that it is 6 Ohm capable, but I expect it will be OK with just one 4 Ohm speaker running.

Size is a little bit of a concern, as that thing looks quite large, but I think it will be OK.

Thanks for all the feedback :)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
John,

So far I haven't heard of anyone having problems driving Bigfoot with any decent midlevel receiver. The 8300 is a significant step up and should have absolutely no problems.

Get Bigfoot, it will mate better with the 250's and will allow for a good upgrade path later that will allow you to use the 250's as your surrounds.

Alex

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Definately get the Bigfoot. You will want your front 3 speakers to have the same tweet. You CANNOT go wrong with that center. Absoluely awesome.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
John,

I think I know a little bit about your tastes having talked to you about the various types of speakers you have owned and liked. You were rather fond of the A/V-1's and even the Paradox 1's, correct? If so, you may not like the Rocket speakers. I have not heard them yet (I will soon as I'm building dual subs for a local guy that has a full Rocket setup), but it's my understanding that the high end is rolled off a bit. If so, they may not be the sound you are looking for. But with the 30 day trial period I guess you can't go wrong if do want to try them out.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Just an FYI...it's true that the 750 is a little soft on top but the rest of the line is flat...including the 250s :)

Sean

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Sean,

Oops, I didn't realize that was strictly a characteristic of the 750's. I would think the entire line would have the same signature sound.

Anyway, sorry for the misinformation on my part. In that case, John, go for it! I love spending other people's money!:)

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Heya Brian. Indeed they do share a common sonic sig, the 750s are a bit different on the top end...this was a consious design decision...long and loud listening sessions :)

Sean

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Sean or anyone that can...

How would you compare the RS150's to the RS250's? I have heard the 150's, just wanted to know how indicative they are of the 250.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
But with the 30 day trial period I guess you can't go wrong if do want to try them out.
Brian, This is EXACTLY why I want to audition them first. I have heard that this Vifa tweeter can be a bit laid back. I like smoothness to the highs, but not to the point of being rolled off. I like the crispness of metal tweeters, but for music, soft domes are what I prefer, which is one of the reasons I really liked the AV-1s. The only problem is, I don't think the AV1s will have what it takes to fill my new room. I have been talking to Danny about a AV-2s, but that would mean an entirely 4 Ohm front stage, something I don't think I would be completely comfortable with.

The package deal with the 750s, 200 and 250s seems like quite a steal though...

I am also considering B&W CDMs, but the CNT is just about the FUGLIEST center I have ever seen, and they are a fair bit more expensive than the Rockets. I really like the 1NTs for music though.

How do the Rockets compare to Polk LSIs? Will I get a decent idea of how the tweeter sounds listening to them?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
John,

I heard the Ref 1's and the tweeter was anything but laid back. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure in that particular speaker the tweeter is a dB or 2 hot. So I imagine you can go either way with it if you know what you're doing XO wise.

BTW, what size is your room and what will you be using for amplification?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Curtis, it may be just me, but I think that the RS250s are closer to the RS550s, especially from the lower mid-range upwards. They don’t have as much punch as the 550s in the mid-range and lower at higher volume levels (or for some peaks)—which is of course somewhat expected when comparing bookshelves to floor standing models. If memory serves they don't go quite as low either.

John, I can’t compare the Rockets to the LSIs, as I have not ever listened to these speakers critically, let alone been done an A/B comparison.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Sean or anyone that can...How would you compare the RS150's to the RS250's? I have heard the 150's, just wanted to know how indicative they are of the 250.
Lew is correct...the 250 is the little brother of the 550 looks and sound wise.

I have done extensive A/B of 150/250 when I was a beta tester. I found that I liked them both for different reasons. The 150 has tighter mids on down but don't present as much bass as the 250 even with their similar F3s. The tweeter is nicer on the 250...smoother and nicer to listen to for longer periods of time...all IMHO of course.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
I have heard that this Vifa tweeter can be a bit laid back. I like smoothness to the highs, but not to the point of being rolled off.
Nothing about the tweeter is laid-back...you really can't apply that term to a tweeter anyway :)

It's all in the implementation...it can sound overly bright and harsh or dull and lifeless...and in between...

laid-back Recessed, distant-sounding, having exaggerated depth, usually because of a dished midrange. See "Row-M sound." Compare "forward."

Sean

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Laid back might be better stated as a bit soft, but since I have no experience with this tweeter, I really have nothing to compare it to. All I know, is I know what I like when I hear it, and I have been listening to quite a few speakers lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks