1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rocketman (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Hopefully when they make a biopic about you, the research department will do its job! :D

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  2. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Gee, if you’d said that from the beginning, you wouldn’t have had to compose fifteen different posts about why you didn’t like it.

I came into this thread because I actually liked the movie

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I did say that the movie was bad even without the factual inaccuracies from the beginning. Go back and look - my first post called it "awful" and then my second post explained why, including the filmmaking problems beyond the factual problems.

I posted more in response to others' comments about the issue, and the discussion of factual liberties.

But I didn't wait until post 15 to include other reasons I disliked the film...

Awesome. This thread is simply titled "Rocketman", not the "'Rocketman' Appreciation Thread".

Seems to me dissenting opinions are allowed...This is supposed to be a discussion board, pro and con, not just praise praise praise...

Malcolm R and Josh Steinberg like this.
  4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    At times, it's just best to let it go and consider yourself fortunate that you liked the movie.

5. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Just got back from watching this, and I loved it. The fantasy scenes worked fine for me, and although I noted the historical inaccuracies, and the songs appearing in the wrong time (I grew up with Elton's music in the 70s), it didn't bother me, and I saw the whole thing as the musical fantasy it was marketed as. A bit like Moulin Rouge!
    I have liked Taron Egerton since Eddie the Eagle, but had no idea he could sing so well. He deserves an Oscar for this, IMHO. Rest of the cast were also good, and I'm glad they gave Bernie Taupin so much space.

Still haven't seen BoRhap, but it on my shelf, so I'll get there one of these days.

EricSchulz likes this.
  6. Message #126 of 128 Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    So, this movie made me go back to dear Sir Elton and see what he's been up to. The last record I bought was Captain Fantastic, after that, he was mostly a buffoon, surely doing great things for charity, after a while, but mostly not being interesting as an artist, to me.
    However, today I bought three blus from the man,
    Millon Dollar Piano
    Red Piano
    Elton at 60
    Good to see him live again, good to have him back in my home.
    I think I will enjoy these, and this was thanks to the movie, that made me rediscover how great he was, and still is.
    Cheers, Sir!

7. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    9DDBBE23-0D11-4539-916D-94C5DD0F8DF0. I was disappointed, definitely not as good as the original 1997 classic with Harland Williams!

Jake Lipson likes this.
  8. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Amazon just sent over an email confirming that my pre-order of the Blu-ray will arrive on August 27, so Paramount must be fixing to announce that as the street date very soon. I'm looking forward to seeing this again.