What's new

Rocketman (2019) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. Musicals are inherently subjective, rather than objective. People don't spontaneously breakout into song in objective reality. But in musicals, it's a mechanism to express things that novels do well, but movies generally don't: the inner thoughts and feelings of the characters.

There are lots of very important events in my life that I remember clearly, but I don't always remember what year they happened in or the precise order they happened in.

Hopefully when they make a biopic about you, the research department will do its job! :D

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
If "Rocketman" was totally fictional, it'd still be a lousy movie.

Therein lies the main issue! :)

Gee, if you’d said that from the beginning, you wouldn’t have had to compose fifteen different posts about why you didn’t like it.

I came into this thread because I actually liked the movie

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Gee, if you’d said that from the beginning, you wouldn’t have had to compose fifteen different posts about why you didn’t like it.

I did say that the movie was bad even without the factual inaccuracies from the beginning. Go back and look - my first post called it "awful" and then my second post explained why, including the filmmaking problems beyond the factual problems.

I posted more in response to others' comments about the issue, and the discussion of factual liberties.

But I didn't wait until post 15 to include other reasons I disliked the film...

Awesome. This thread is simply titled "Rocketman", not the "'Rocketman' Appreciation Thread".

Seems to me dissenting opinions are allowed...This is supposed to be a discussion board, pro and con, not just praise praise praise...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

At times, it's just best to let it go and consider yourself fortunate that you liked the movie.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Just got back from watching this, and I loved it. The fantasy scenes worked fine for me, and although I noted the historical inaccuracies, and the songs appearing in the wrong time (I grew up with Elton's music in the 70s), it didn't bother me, and I saw the whole thing as the musical fantasy it was marketed as. A bit like Moulin Rouge!
I have liked Taron Egerton since Eddie the Eagle, but had no idea he could sing so well. He deserves an Oscar for this, IMHO. Rest of the cast were also good, and I'm glad they gave Bernie Taupin so much space.

Still haven't seen BoRhap, but it on my shelf, so I'll get there one of these days.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
So, this movie made me go back to dear Sir Elton and see what he's been up to. The last record I bought was Captain Fantastic, after that, he was mostly a buffoon, surely doing great things for charity, after a while, but mostly not being interesting as an artist, to me.
However, today I bought three blus from the man,
Millon Dollar Piano
Red Piano
Elton at 60
Good to see him live again, good to have him back in my home.
I think I will enjoy these, and this was thanks to the movie, that made me rediscover how great he was, and still is.
Cheers, Sir!

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
9DDBBE23-0D11-4539-916D-94C5DD0F8DF0.jpeg
I was disappointed, definitely not as good as the original 1997 classic with Harland Williams!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon just sent over an email confirming that my pre-order of the Blu-ray will arrive on August 27, so Paramount must be fixing to announce that as the street date very soon. I'm looking forward to seeing this again.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Finally got to see this as it just went on sale at iTunes. Terrific film. Much darker than what I was expecting but great entertainment nonetheless. I have one thing to say regarding Colin's problem with the timeline. The entire story is told in flashback as Elton is sitting in rehab in the early 1990s and telling his life's story. Why would he necessarily relate everything in strict chronological order? He would tell events of his life in whatever order best suits his narrative. A perfect example is the spinning stage at Royal Albert Hall: each spin represented a different part of his life, not a single performance. Dates were rarely referenced throughout the film because the story wasn't supposed to be chronological.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Finally got to see this as it just went on sale at iTunes. Terrific film. Much darker than what I was expecting but great entertainment nonetheless. I have one thing to say regarding Colin's problem with the timeline. The entire story is told in flashback as Elton is sitting in rehab in the early 1990s and telling his life's story. Why would he necessarily relate everything in strict chronological order? He would tell events of his life in whatever order best suits his narrative. A perfect example is the spinning stage at Royal Albert Hall: each spin represented a different part of his life, not a single performance. Dates were rarely referenced throughout the film because the story wasn't supposed to be chronological.
I enjoyed the movie very much, but didn't buy the iTunes 4K digital because of that $12.99 price. I might wait until November Black Friday sales to buy the disc instead of the stream. If the iTunes price drops down to $9.99 before any 4K disc sales then I might have to make a more difficult decision.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Except it does move in a chronological manner. When it goes into flashback mode, it pursues a standard A to B to C narrative path, not one that hops from era to era.

The flashbacks clearly are supposed to be in chronological order...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks