1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rocketman (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

I like that the soundtrack appears to be of the performances from the film (eg. sung by Taron Egerton) rather than the original versions, since I have the original versions anyway.

holtge and Jake Lipson like this.
  2. holtge

holtge Screenwriter

Gordon Holt
    Glad to hear that you enjoyed the different way the filmmakers decided to tell Elton's story, Jake. I have seen several trailers for this film over the past four or five months and wondered exactly how what I saw in the trailers was going to be packaged together into a cohesive film. It sounds like they did a masterful---although non-linear---storytelling job. Thanks for the early positive review! Think I might indeed check this one out.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Well, it wouldn't be the soundtrack if they were the originals; that would just be a greatest hits album, and as you noted, people have those already.

There is a wraparound framing device with Elton telling his story, which makes most of the movie a flashback. Within the flashback structure, there's also the fantasy sequences, which flow in and out of the, for lack of a better word, "realistic" material.

holtge likes this.
  4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    For anyone who doesn't want to wait to hear this, the new song "I'm Gonna Love Me Again" has already been uploaded to Elton John's official YouTube channel. I'm spoilerizing the video to make it easier for people to ignore if they do want to wait, but it's just audio of the song; there's no actual footage in it. It is featured in the film over the end credits and is sung as a duet between Elton John and Taron Egerton. It is not within the plot of the feature, but feels related to it.

holtge likes this.
  5. Message #45 of 83 May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I just wanted to bump this thread to remind anyone interested that the soundtrack for Rocketman is now available, featuring performances by Taron Egerton and other cast members of the film.

It is a 2-discc set. Plus, as I said last week, Target has an exclusive edition with two extra tracks. I just got back from buying this at my local Target.)

The two extra tracks are on disc 2. They are a Taron Egerton solo version of Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me (the one in the film, which is also on the soundtrack, is a duet with Celinde Schoenmaker) and, secondly, Breakin' Down the Walls of Heartache sung by Taron, which does not appear in any other form on the soundtrack at all.

The running time of the standard release is 1 hour 13 minutes and the running time of the Target release is 1 hour 21 minutes.

https://www.target.com/p/elton-john-38-taron-egerton-8211-rocketman-music-from-the-motion-picture-deluxe-target-exclusive/-/A-54606830

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Buying the "Rocketman" soundtrack is like buying the "Beatlemania" soundtrack! :lol:

7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I'm not sure I follow, but okay...

8. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Totally agree! I was thinking about the soundtrack to last year's Bohemian Rhapsody, which I believe has the original versions rather than performed by Rami Malek et al. But I could be wrong!;)

Jake Lipson likes this.
  9. Message #49 of 83 May 26, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I didn't see Bohemian Rhapsody so can't speak to it specifically. But if the cast performed the songs in the movie and the "soundtrack" did not include those versions, then it was released with a misnomer. A CD featuring the original versions of songs from across a performer or group's career is a greatest hits album. A CD featuring the songs as heard in the film would be a soundtrack. If a performer acts the role but doesn't sing -- like Jamie Foxx in Ray, where they simply used Ray Charles' original vocals -- then an album could be both a greatest hits collecton and a soundtrack. But if it doesn't represent what was heard in the film, it's not a true soundtrack, regardless of what the name is.

I saw someone on Amazon (who hasn't seen the film yet) reviewing the Rocketman soundtrack and dinging it because it's Taron singing the songs and not Elton. While they are entitled to their opinion, I think it's kind of ridiculous to ding the rating for this reason regardless of your actual opinion on Taron's singing.

All of the marketing material for Rocketman has been very clear in establishing that Taron is singing the songs, and the soundtrack is being marketed as such. Elton John is only listed as singing one song on the soundtrack, because he is only singing one song on the soundtrack, which is the new song over the end credits. Elton and Taron sing that together.

If someone buys the soundtrack expecting Elton's versions to be on there, that's their own fault for not doing their research.

Joe Wong likes this.
  10. Colin Jacobson

"Rocketman" soundtrack = "Beatlemania" soundtrack because both offer recreations of the originals.

If I can listen to Elton John sing Elton John songs, why would I choose to hear Taron Egerton sing them instead?

Tino likes this.
  11. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    The cast did not do much singing in Bohemian Rhapsody. They remastered and reused the original vocals as much as possible. For parts where they did need someone to sing, like some of the Live Aid performance, to fill in holes that just weren’t clear enough on the original recordings, they use Marc Martel for the voice of Freddie. Search for Marc on YouTube, it’s a little eerie how similar he sounds to Freddie Mercury.

Joe Wong likes this.
  12. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    Deleted, double post.

13. Message #53 of 83 May 26, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Because the film cast (Taron and others) do a good job singing them, and the arrangements are not exact copies of Elton's versions and are exciting.

I love Elton's music -- I'm certainly not going to stop listening to his versions -- but it can also be interesting and valuable to hear new interpretations of things you love. I like Taron's versions a lot and will use the soundtrack as a companion piece -- not replacement -- for Elton's. Also, there is the new song which does feature Elton and Taron together, so there's that.

In that case, the soundtrack being released with the original versions of the songs and doubling as as greatest hits album was correct.

If Rocketman had released a "soundtrack" with Elton's tracks, that would be a misnomer, because they made the choice to have Taron Egerton singing the songs.

It goes back to a stylistic choice made probably by Bryan Singer (when he was directing Bohemian Rhapsody) and the music team to use Queen's original vocals, versus Dexter Fletcher and the Rocketman music team deciding to have Taron sing in this film. It's just a different approach to how to make a music biopic.

Joe Wong likes this.
  14. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Love Elton's music, though hearing different interpretations / covers / alternative versions can be interesting as well.

For example, Florence + the Machine's version of Tiny Dancer is excellent!

Jake Lipson likes this.
  15. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Thanks for the background and context! Makes a lot of sense.

16. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
  17. Colin Jacobson

But how different will these versions be? It's not the same as a cover that offers a truly new interpretation, IMO, because it still is supposed to be "Elton John".

The comparison to "Beatlemania" may not be perfect since those versions do try to sound as much like the originals as possible, but I still find it tough to imagine the "Rocketman" soundtrack would merit much play time. It seems like it'd briefly be interesting as a novelty but then go on the shelf in favor of the originals... :shrug:

18. Message #58 of 83 May 26, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Well, I already saw the film because of the sneak previews last week and liked it and knew that I liked how the songs are performed and integrated into the film. So I bought the soundtrack knowing what I was getting.

They are not replicas of Elton's versions. It is much more interested in presenting his songs in a book musical context than in replicating how they sound on his records.

That being said, I would not advise someone to purchase the soundtrack without seeing the film first so that they can decide based on the context of the film whether they want these versions in their collection or not.

19. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Taron Egerton on Jimmy Kimmel Live discussing the movie:

Mikael Soderholm likes this.
  20. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    I'm seeing this in a couple of hours. Looking forward to Rocket Man!

I've been listening to Elton John since about 1971, and actually saw him in concert in 1988 (and he was great!).

Jake Lipson likes this.