Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Rocketman (2019)

Genre: Music, Drama

Director: Dexter Fletcher

Cast: Taron Egerton, Jamie Bell, Richard Madden, Bryce Dallas Howard, Gemma Jones, Steven Mackintosh, Harriet Walter

Release: 2019-05-15

Plot: The story of Elton John's life, from his years as a prodigy at the Royal Academy of Music through his influential and enduring musical partnership with Bernie Taupin.

Paramount is financing and distributing an Elton John biopic "Rocket Man."

Speaking of the title, Deadline's article has it as "Rocketman," but my Elton John CD spells the song as two distinct words, and the movie is clearly being named after the song, so that's why I put a space in the thread title. If it actually is going to be one word, moderators have my blessing to chnnge it. No relation to Disney's 1997 movie of the same name.

Anyway, Taton Egerton is to star and sing.

Dexter Fletcher, who directed Egerton in Eddie the Eagle and recently took over directing the Queen biopic from Bryan Singer, to direct. Matthew Vaughn, who of course directed both Egerton and Elton John together in Kingsman: The Golden Circle, is producing. Lee Hall, who worked with Elton on the musical version of Billy Elliot, is writing.

No release date yet, but since production is supposed to start this summer, I'm guessing 2019.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/elton-j...ount-matthew-vaughn-david-furnish-1202367495/

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The film's title is a single word: Rocketman, unlike the song itself.

This has been a long time coming, first announced in 2011 and possibly starring Justin Timberlake, and then later Tom Hardy. First pitched as full of glam and glitz, and now more earthy rock n' roll story.

In the meantime, please check out the CD or Vinyl release called Restoration: Re-imagining the songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin. It's just outstanding. 13 top country acts performing a better selection of songs than the usual top hits only faire. Don Henley doing "Sacrifice;" Willie Nelson on "Border Song;" Chris Stapleton on "I Want Love." The whole thing is great.

There's also a more pop-flavored release called Revamp, which features some of the usual obvious suspects (Ed Sheeran doing "Candle in the Wind"), but it's also got some outstanding covers. Don't miss the Killers doing "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters."

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Hasn't this been done already?
aiKhVw53Miwgzx0M87HVgcUrjpa-429x666.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Paramount has set a release date of May 17, 2019. Also, Wayne is right; the film is in fact being released as a single word, even though the titular song is two words. So my assumption in the thread title proved incorrect.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks