Rocket speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jacob C, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

How would you characterize the sound of these speakers. I hear great things about them but I also hear they are pretty laid back. By laid back do they mean like B&W? I really liked the sound of Paradigm but their speakers seem to be pretty forward. Im just wondering if, given my taste in speakers, I should consider them. I am convinced they are a quality speaker but Im not sure that I will like them according to what I have read.

2. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't call B&W laid back by any means. Everyone has their own tastes though. I classify B&W as being a very neutral/accurate speaker. They will take on the sound of the gear they are being played on, good or bad.

I would agree that Paradigm can be a tad on the bright or forward side. I find Paradigms speakers to have a bit too much trebile energy.

3. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Paradigm may be just a hair bright but I prefer the studios over the B&W 300 series.

4. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Yes, the Rockets are less forward with their presentation, moreso than B&Ws.

5. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Thanks, I guess they are off my list then. The B&Ws were not bad but I liked the Paradigms more. Right now I am thinking I will probably go with Ascend Acoustics. They sound like they are what I am looking for. I have heard good things about Swan and Totem too. I just don't know enough about either of those to seriously consider them at this point. Feel free to comment on the Swans and Totems if you have something but I think I got my questions answered. Thanks!

6. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Don't cross speakers off your list simply because what I or anyone else may characterize a speaker as. Listen for yourself and decide. For all I know, your ears may not agree with my opinions. For example, people tend to characterize Axioms as bright, but I didn't find them to be as bright as a lot of the claims when I heard them. And some do compare them to Paradigms. If you like the Digms, but find them a little bright, you might want to listen to them for more than an hour to see if you experience listening fatigue or not.

Until you actually heard the speakers, taking guesses off of someone's opinions is really not the way to go.

Try to demo as many speakers as you can, since it's your money and decision.

7. Brandon^B

Brandon^B Auditioning

Just as NHan said, don't go crossing them off your list yet. There are a few people in Milwaukee that will be more than willing to let you venture over for an audition. You will have to make an hour and a half drive, but it will be worth it. Also check audioenvy.com and look for a rocket owner who lives closer to Green Bay. I live just north of Milwaukee and will be purchasing either the RS750 Signatures or the RS850's for an in home demo. Don't forget that you have 30 days to return them if you don't like to, and maybe you could even swing free return shipping. The sales people at av123 are very nice folks. And, if you are still in the speaker hunt when I get my system set up, you are welcome to visit for an audition.

As far as the speakers being "laid back," only the original rs750 classic was slightly laid back. The new signature model has a new crossover and more treble energy. The measurements are actually very neutral for the speaker. Again, try to get yourself a demo and if you needed further assistance visit av123.com and check out their forum. Good luck.

8. Dan DRC

Dan DRC Stunt Coordinator

The Rockets have a good return policy. So why not just give
    them a try. See how they sound in your room and system.
    I have had my Rockets for about 2 months now. Although they are the entry level in the RS line ( 150's front and rear 100 mkII for the center) they are the best speakers I have owned yet.
    It would be great if you could buy Rockets and Ascends and something from a local dealer and have your own speaker test.

9. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

There was only 1 guy within 100 miles of my zip at that site that sets up auditions (I dont remember the name of it). I contacted him but never got a reply. Its not a big deal right now because I dont have the cash yet. Maybe I should go take a longer listen to the paradigms. I don tlike the retailer much and they dont seem to like people just sitting around for long periods of time and listening. I suppose the worse that can happen is that they will ask me to leave and completely kill their chances of making any money off of me. I was thinking about buying a reciever there. Thanks!

10. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

If you're going thru the Audioenvy site, I think there's some problems with it. It's best to post demo requests on the AV123 forum. You'll get quicker responses that way.

11. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Definitely post a request at their site. I've sent "audtion requests" from my work e-mail to home on several occassions and none of them have ever made it through. The site used to work fine but its been having issues for awhile now.

12. Brandon^B

Brandon^B Auditioning

JacobC:

This weekend I had the pleasure to listen to the Rocket 550MKIIs. I listened for about an hour with a demo CD I compiled. I have alreay auditioned Monitor Audio S6s, Vandersteen 2CE signatures and 1Ces, Paradigm Studio 60s and 100s, B&W 703, 704, and 604, and Canton Ergo 900 DC and some model from the Karat series. I can honestly say that to my ears and IMHO, the 800 dollar Rocket 550's hung with ever other brand or beat it by a nice margin. The only speakers that the 550's could not flat our beat were the B&W 703s, and the Vandersteen 2ce sigs. This of course is my opinion, but I figured since you wanted to know what sound they resemble that this would help. The rocket speakers were very detailed with a nice crisp treble, but in no way fatiguing. They sounded VERY much like the Canton Ergo DC 900DC speakers. As far as comparing them to B&W, I would say the B&Ws were too bright. The 703 is a nice speaker and very detailed, but it seems that in order to get the detail the speakers treble is jacked to shrill levels, easily causing ear fatique. As for the Vandersteen 2ce signs, the rocket 550s could not quite match the open airy sound that the vandersteens have. If that is the kind of sound you are looking for, I would suggest a step up in the Rocket line by checking out the RS750 Sigs. Again, in my opinion the Rockets bested the B&Ws (but rather hung with the 703s), the monitor audios, the paradigms, and the Canton Karats. The B&W 703s only bested the Rockets in the base department. And again, the Vandersteens threw a wider soundstage and had that open airy sound.

So to sum up, the rocket RS550MKIIs are the best speaker I have ever heard for under $1000 and even hang with speakers costing 2 to 3 times their price.

Good luck in your search and I hope I was of some help. Take care!

13. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

They are also on sale with a free center at the moment. Plus have some other good packages going you would need to call about...

14. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

They are????? I thought the center was free with the 850s and 1Ks???

Nice write-up, Brandon-C. My feeling's exactly when I compare my 550s with a friend's 2CEs. Of course, my electronics were a step below his, but the 2CEs really impressed me. The only obstacles for the 2CEs may be room and placement.

15. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

My bad...your right Nhan... but they are having a great sale on them... Sorry folks.. reading the wrong thing again... Gettin old.

Still $699 a pair... Wish I had room for a couple more speakers.. thats a steal.

16. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Not a problem, Mike. At your age, you're exempt from a lot of things. At least we haven't seen any "AVS123" from you of late [​IMG]

17. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Yea finally broke that habit... Don't know how things get stuck in your brain sometimes and just typing ahead without proofing. I get so many emails at work during a day that its hard to keep up with everything let alone proof everything. But I have been trying harder..
    See ya.. Hope all is going well for ya Nhan...
    MikeL

18. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Jacob c sent you an email for an audition if needed.

Chad

19. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Hi, Mike. Glad to hear that you're doing well. Will you be able to make it to CO?

Chad, it's very nice of you to offer the audition.

20. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Thanks Nhan....Audioenvy isn't working correctly as I am registered there but nothing happens when I tested it ....I get no emails for requests.
    Wish I could make it to Colorado but I enjoyed the latest Chicago GTG.

Chad