Rocket RS250's as front speakers...?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by David Bouwkamp, Mar 1, 2004.

1. David Bouwkamp

David Bouwkamp Auditioning

I'm thinking of upgrading my current speaker system. My room size is 19'x24'. I'm thinking of going with the SVS PB2+ sub and am seriously considering Rockets for the rest of my speakers. I am somewhat limited in the size of my front speakers. They can be no taller than about 30" (enclosed cabinet w/ open front). I was wondering if the bookshelf rocket speakers (RS250's) would be powerfull enough for a room that size or would be they be more than adequate when I have a sub that big. Another choice would be the power monitor's by Def Tech. Those speakers would also fit into the enclosure (I am aware that they have sub's inside them). Thanks for input.

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

What is the rest of your setup?

3. JasonBrandon

JasonBrandon Agent

I would be hesitant to use the 250s or any other rear-ported speaker in a cabinet. I have heard that it does bad things to the sound. You may be better off with a sealed or front-ported speaker.

4. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

I'd look at NHT M5s which would work well in your cabinet. Otherwise, CSW MC500s. A sealed speaker will work best given your placement issues.

5. David Bouwkamp

Chad, I'm thinking about going with the SVS sub and want new fronts, a new center, and new surrounds - preferably all the same brand. The system will be powered with a Pioneer Elite VSX-39TX.

6. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

What is your budget for the speakers without the sub?

7. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Good choice on the sub.. I have one and if you have read other comments here by me you know I am a big fan of SVS. I have had subs costing twice as much that had twice as little in woof. Rockets are great speakers as well but are like most a ported speaker that do not work for enclosed settings. You may want to call Sean or email him at AV123.com as I heard rumor that a wall install or non-ported speakers were coming.

8. David Bouwkamp

Chad, budget will be $2000-$3000 not including sub.

9. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Then I'd get 5 NHT M5s or a combination of M5s and L5s.