Rocket RS 750 Signature Edition

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Burklund, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Burklund

Burklund Stunt Coordinator

looking at the website I see that the 750 is showing 4 subwoofers and a tweeter....where is the midrange ?

2. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Ummm, it is a 2-way speakers with 4, 5.25" woofer/mid-range drivers and a 1" dome tweeter.

3. Burklund

I see !! Is that better than having a seperate mid?
    The RSC200 center speaker has a seperate midrange. Would that sound OK matched up with speakers without a seperate mid....like the 750?

4. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

Burklund,

From the 750 specs, this description may help:

"Employing an ingenious Dick Pierce-designed patent-pending crossover design, only the topmost of the four long-throw drivers produces sound at the highest midrange frequencies, but as the frequency decreases the remaining drivers successively engage over a three octave range until all four drivers are moving air in concert to produce unbelievably tight low-frequency sound reproduction. As a result, the RS750 provides a smooth transition and constant dispersion throughout the entire frequency range."

I have 4 of the 750 Signature speakers and 2 RSC200 (dubbed the 'Bigfoot') in a 6.1 setup.

The midrange is this setup's forte, IMO. It's extremely smooth with a touch of throat in the lower vocal range, which I just happen to like.

The 750 is an excellent satellite to a good subwoofer and easy to integrate (again, the mid-low mid-woofer array of 5.25 drivers makes this possible, IMO).

Also, they have a very small footprint and look amazing. The build quality is something you have to see to appreciate.

The RSC200 center channel speaker matches well with the 750 and is hard to beat in it's price range.

Don't know what else to say, except try them and determine for yourself if they work for you.

Dave

5. Burklund

so you have two of the 750 towers for rear surround sound?
    and the other center...is that rear too?
    what brand reciever you have powering them?

6. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

Yes...2-750s for surround, 1 bigfoot for surround back.

I use 500 watt monoblock amps (1 for each speaker).

The surround back channel is used only for the handful of DTS-ES movies I have, otherwise I have a 5.1 system and mostly listen to multichannel SACD, DVD-A and DTS-CD discs and, of course, DVD movies.

I don't like matrixed anything, so the setup handles all discrete multichannel playback.

7. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Wow. Four 750's? That must be an experience. [​IMG]

8. Burklund

Dave,

What reciever do you have powering those speakers?

9. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

Burklund,

I'm using an Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro in BYPASS mode, letting the player do the decoding.

From there I have 6-500 watt monoblock amps.

I use 2-Dual-15" subwoofers, 1 for discrete redirected bass and the other for discrete LFE.

The Rockets 750 sigs and bigfoot center are, IMHO, the best speaker value on the planet.

The Company is the best to deal with, the build quality is superb, the price is excellent and the setup definitely sounds awesome.

10. Burklund

are these subs seperate from the 750s?
    explain the discrete redirected/LFE.

Thanks

11. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

After reading Craig's review/tests of the 550's, I became quite intrigued by the makers of those and the 750 speakers, so much so that once I saw they had a pair of 750s available in "B" stock (finished in some sort of real neat looking black wood veneer) I was about to order them...sight unseen...sound unheard but, alas! that was not to be; some one had beat me to the punch already; they were long gone... [​IMG]

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

12. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

Frank,

Mark Schifter has 30 years of history in the audio business and has the smarts to use the many contacts he's made over that span to design a great product.

Because he's the kind of guy who gives credit where it's due, but rarely takes the credit due himself, it took me a while to understand how good he is at what he does and how good his ears are.

For me, it was VERY hard to find a tower that had strong and clean enough midrange to properly blend with a powerful, accurate sub system without spending serious dough.

Most towers, even very expensive ones, seem to spend their time on the tweeter and the low end (the old smiley graphic EQ curve), which is cool if you're into that and don't listen to MC audio and don't have a sub or have a not-so-good sub system.

OTOH, if you do, you need the kind of upper mid to mid bass smoothness and power that the 750 Sigs have in spades at their price point.

It's also absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to buy a tower that looks as high quality as a rosewood or ebony 750 Signature mounted on the piano gloss black stands at anywhere near their price...period.

If you decide to try them, notice how seemingly effortless they are to blend with your 250,000 subwoofers (JK), but seriously...lean into them a bit and listen to the transition from tweeter to upper mid down through the progressive array into the subwoofers...it truly is a beautiful thing.

Feed them enough power to handle those midrange transients and monitor your amps to know where they clip and avoid that and...you gonna dig 'em, I betcha.

For those who cried 'laid back', Mark is working on an add-on 'Extended Range Tweeter' module. I've seen protos of it and it will be outstanding, for those who are addicted to that smiley curve, but the truth is that the 750 only needs to be coupled with the proper preamp/power amp.

Again, I emphasize this 'cause you are aholically into great low end, the 750 Sig's midband progressive array is the most overlooked of it's attributes and is patented for a reason.

Dave

13. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Great points mr bossobass...[​IMG]

The Rockets are definitely something special IMO. If you find their "signature" to your liking then you will have discovered one of the audio industries best values.

The 750 Sig's have an oh so sweet mid range with good in room extension into the low 30's...I listen to them for 2 channel sans the UFW-10 most of the time.

The progressive array x-over that Dick Pierce and MLS created flat out "gets it" in all senses of the words.

The VIFA XT-25 tweeter throws one of the largest dispersions that I have ever heard from a tweeter....think huge soundstage and a crisp focused image!

Give them a listen for yourself...

Check out www.audioenvy.com for a list of people in your area willing to give you an in home audition or order up a pair and let your ears decide!

Good luck with your decision! [​IMG]

14. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    I had never heard the type of accolades for the original 550 that one often hears for the 750 Signature. The 550 Mark II, though, is also something special.

For $999 Retail, and excellent deals given on system prices, it is quite the speaker.

It will be interesting to see if the 250 Mark II is also in the same league for sound quality.

15. frank manrique

quote:

"Frank,

...OTOH, if you do, you need the kind of upper mid to mid bass smoothness and power that the 750 Sigs have in spades at their price point.

If you decide to try them, notice how seemingly effortless they are to blend with your 250,000 subwoofers (JK), but seriously...lean into them a bit and listen to the transition from tweeter to upper mid down through the progressive array into the subwoofers...it truly is a beautiful thing.

Feed them enough power to handle those midrange transients and monitor your amps to know where they clip and avoid that and...you gonna dig 'em, I betcha."

Dave,

Those are the primary reasons for which I became very interested in the 750s...even though they're basically a two-way design.
    Am assuming that 4-5" drivers per side driven in unison are apt to produce some serious midband dynamics (providing other areas of importance aren't too compromised in the process).
    Also, the 750s specified 88 db output implies rather low sensitivity so, yes, I agree that plenty of clean amplification wattage must be provided if they are to perform to their full potential.

Perhaps the next time a pair of 750s become available in "B" stock I can score a hit. I'll be looking forward to the possibility of that event with avid anticipation...

-THTS

16. Jimmy Harmon

Jimmy Harmon Stunt Coordinator

Maybe that's because those of us who prefer the 550's have a more limited vocabulary. :wink:

17. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

Jimmy,

LMAO. [​IMG]

I had a chance recently in Colorado to hear the 550s as part of a 7.1 HT setup that featured:

The Emotiva Pre/Pro and 7 channel amplifier combo

The new RS1000 mains, RSC200 center (of course) and I believe the side and rear surrounds were 550s, with 4 UFW-10s for LFE and the RS1000's built-in amps/woofers rounding it all out.

This was all in a HUGE (approx 15,000 cubes) room.

I jockeyed for the sweet spot, missing it by 1 seat, but it really didn't matter that much.

The soundstage was unspeakably huge.

The 550s are all that. I just wouldn't trade my 750 Sigs for the main reason I mentioned above...namely how well they do the transition to ref level subs.

I personally don't listen to stereo at all anymore (I put my CD collection in the attic with the 78 RPM slate discs and 8 track tapes).

With MC formats, the Sigs are superb.

Actually, so as not to offend the 2 channel guys out there, I lied...I never owned an 8 track.

18. Jimmy Harmon

Jimmy Harmon Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

I was there in Colorado. Sorry I missed meeting you. Because I missed my flight out of DFW, I didn't make it to the hotel until 10:30ish Saturday night and stayed until Monday.

Sunday afternoon, shortly before we loaded up all the equipment, we did an A/B/C comparision with the RS1K's, Sig 750's, and 550MKII's. Unfortunately, we didn't get to listed to the 550's for very long because something was wrong with one of them.

Jimmy

19. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

Jimmy,

Bummer I missed meeting you!

Next time, my friend...I'll look forward to it.

Come to think of it, Frank...you should take a hard look at those RS1Ks....750s on STEROIDS...and Sweeeeeeet!

Dave

20. frank manrique

quote:

"Come to think of it, Frank...you should take a hard look at those RS1Ks....750s on STEROIDS...and Sweeeeeeet!"

Dave,

Umm...it may be a bit too late for that now...'cus I am about to become the proud papa (no doubt! [​IMG] ) of a pair of RS 750 Signature Edition transducers (dressed in an Ebony finish, which is just fine with me as it is very important to have loudspeakers sort of disappear from view when viewing flicks and listening to music, you know) very soon since the good folks at AV123 have made me an offer I just couldn't refuse!... [​IMG]

-THTS