Rocket ELT vs Ascend Acoustics

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Eric Teeter, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Eric Teeter

Eric Teeter Auditioning

Can anyone give me their opinion or a comparison on the two speakers systems listed below. Both are in the $900-$1100 range

Rocket ELT system ($899)

vs.

Ascend Acoustic - CBM 170 for fronts and center; Ascend Acoustics HTM200 for surrounds ($698) and a HSU STF-2 sub ($399)

I have seen great things written about both systems but have not heard either. Any comments?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’m more familiar with the ELTs than the Ascends and have never done an A/B comparison (and I’ve not had the opportunity to listen to the new Hsu sub), so take my comments with a grain of salt.

The strength of the ELT system is its center channel, which I think is better for HT than the CBM 170 when used as a center. If you go with the Ascends you might consider an upgrade to their 340 center speaker model.

While I think that the ELT sub is good at its price point, it has some of the limitations of a lower cost sub—it will not hit the very lowest notes with authority. I expect that the same would be true of the STF-2, but since I have not heard it, I can’t say for sure. There have been some quality-related reports on the STF-2 written in some WEB sites. You might want to check them out.

If you don’t like the cherry-stained birch cabinets of the ELTs, you will want to consider something else, as it is the only finish option available. The same can be said for the Ascends, if you don’t like the ‘black box’ look.

No doubt you would be pleased with either system. Have fun making your choice.

3. StanG

StanG Extra

Did you check out av123's forum? There is a nice discussion going on w/r/t Ascends and bookshelf Rockets.

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

While my preference is for the Ascends, if you do decide to go with the ELT system, definitely change the sub.

I have heard the ELT sub and the Hsu STF-2. The STF-2 easily outclasses the ELT sub, in fact, the STF-1 is a much better performer as well.

Try visiting AV123.com and ascendforum.com to find owners in you area and get an audition of each system.