What's new

Rock Star: Supernova (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I hated her to insane levels early on. But now it's kind of fun to see what she'll do next. TV Guide's "Super Star" dude said she was like an Oscar Award or a Butterfinger with that gold suit and top hat. :D I didn't even recognize the Bowie song she was doing. I love Bowie's music and was actually thinking some of his stuff might suit her. Maybe Ziggy Stardust next for her; she could drop the top hat but keep the silver suit for that. :D

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Oh my!

I would rather listen to William Hung.

She is like a terrible accident on the side of the road. You know it is going to be bad, but you still look. You can't take your eyes off of it.

Her singing is terrible. Her outfits scream "look at me!". She comes across as a girl that never got attention when she was little. So now she is constantly trying to get people to look at her.

She isn't even really that attractive to me. Way too skinny.

And last and most important. She is just not right for a "rock" band. She should just stick to broadway. And she can take the "glam" dude, Lukas with her. He looks like what would happen if Mick Jagger and Boy George had a love child.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
If you look at the so called talent that Rockstar as spewed out this year....Zayra ia the best one on the show. She may not have the best voice in the world, but she sings with heart and puts on a good show. I never said she was good for the band, but the pickings are slim here......

So I stand by " Zayra is the best singer and performer on the show".

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Scott, I think "Broadway entertainer" is a great way to describe her too. Good call.

Certainly you got to see that both Storm and Dilana are far better than Zayra in both voice and stage presence. In fact, I think Storm will prove it this coming Tuesday and get the encore (just a feeling). I'm looking forward to the webisode to see what everybody picks. It'll be a fight to sing in front of one of the band members. I'll bet Dilana doesn't get this time. I'm hoping the whole band will start performing with one or more of the singers.

There's just something I like about Lukas. I know most of the criticisms mentioned are pretty accurate. He's still entertaining (in a different way than Zayra, not comedy heh!) and quite at home with the style of music SN is going to be turning out. He reminds me of several artists: Paul Williams (that gravelly voice and shortness of stature), Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees (for his movement on stage) and finally the lead singer of The Cure. He has a lot of confidence on and off stage. Hell, if I was the manager of the band I'd have hired him by now. :) Zayra would not even be allowed in the building. Now...she's going to Vegas! :rolleyes

I'm not knocking your favorite Lucia. I agree Zayra is entertaining and definately grows on you after a bit. In some music circles she'd fit right in.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Yep, I agree Magni has a good shot...I wonder if Lukas' appearance, which isn't really that of a rocker, is going to get in the way? If it doesn't, I think he'd be right up there as a front runner because the band really likes him.

Jill was definitely putting on an act, but I think she had by far the strongest voice of all of them. Majorly powerful, but she had no idea how to use it for this show.

Real Name
Sandra
I think Lukas is the best one on the show and always have, ever since the first show. I even thought last week, when he acted so weird, was a put-on, for whatever reason, like maybe they ASKED him to not do so WELL for a change...etc.

He reminds me of Sal Mineo, or Marlon Brando when he was YOUNG.

It seems it's obvious that some of these people, though good singers/performers, are NOT right for Supernova. I think they only have 2 choices - Lukas and Dilana. They're simply the best.

I enjoy waiting to see what Z will DO and WEAR every week - yep, she's good for the ratings.

Some people do the SONG not the record, and that's how it should be. I don't know some of the tunes they're doing and I'm glad because I don't THEN compare their show to the original.

I love the Supernova band guys as show hosts, and Brooke too - the INXS show was fun, this one is, too. I hope they never run out of ways to do this. I didn't like it when Dave said he didn't like the megaphone, and I really hated it when he said that the guy who went into the audience only did it because the girl before him did something like that. On both of those things, I'd say SO WHAT? They have to do their own performance, no matter WHO came first. They can't change their idea in 2 mins. just cos someone else got there first.

Killing TWO birds with one stone was interesting. I could feel it coming though. That they were gonna try to change it up a bit.

I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts here on the forum. Thanks.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I have a feeling that we haven't seen the end of this idea.

The INXS show was excellent. That band was real likable. I still need to pick up "Switch". JD's fronting is really good.

Marc L

Stunt Coordinator
Lukas IS the best person to front this band (at least for the their one tour then inevitable break up). The rest just can't do it and come across believable. As a musician, Lukas and Dilana are the ONLY two in this group that I would "buy" as front person for these guys. Everyone else come across as posers. Wannabe rock stars. They're all too, uh, "well adjusted".

While I love Dilana's style and the originality in her vocals, I give the edge to Lukas because he appears to be 10 years younger than her and has the kind of look that 14 year old girls LOVE. (btw, 14 year old girls are the only demo buying rock records in the millions...that's why radio sucks!)

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
I think Magni and Storm are head and shoulders above everyone else, including Lukas and Dilana. All 4 can command the stage, but Lukas doesn't have the range (as evidenced by Creep) and I think Dilana (who was my early fave) has slipped a bit in her recent performances. On the other hand, Magni and Storm have shown that they can hit the notes required and they have the stage presence to front a big rock band.

As for Zayra, I always look forward to her perfomances. You don't know if it will be a train wreck or something good. She can't sing consistently, but at least she sings with some heart.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Yep, they've also shown that they can sing above the guitars and drums, which is something I think they faulted someone else for not being able to do. Personally, I don't think Lukas or Dilana have enough power in their voice. It's not an issue in the studio, but they probably would get drowned out in a live show with this band.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
So does this mean Metallica is officially broken up, or Jason is just out of the band, or this is just a side project?

Zayra as the most talented? That's the funniest thing I've heard in ages!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Good:
Dilana - very melodic
Ryan - gritty
Toby - sang in the right key

Okay:
Zayra - sounded nice, but not right for Supernova
Loukas - vocally regressed a bit
Magni - almost forget how he sounded, unmemorable

Not good:
Patrice - she's going home tomorrow
Storm - perhaps she will survive tomorrow

Real Name
Sandra
The Tigers were playing last night and the Doo Wop guys were on PBS so I was watching 3 shows at once, omg, but I made sure I caught the singing parts of each person. I didn't think anyone was that good last night!! NOT ONE. I'm still FOR Lukas though. Zayra was better than anyone, she was in her element, and she was magnificent - but not for Supernova. She has so much star quality. Patrice should have gone home a long time ago. Oddly enough, I thought the judges were wrong about Storm - I thought she did a great job on that song.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone able to watch the performances at rockstar.msn.com?

I zoned out last night and forgot to watch the show, so I hoped to see some of what I missed on the site.

However, none of the links for videos seem to work. I've tried both Firefox and IE, I have Windows Media Player installed, I have broadband, I can watch videos on other sites... but nothing on the rockstar site seems to work.

Anyone else?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Chris, I've only ever had problems with Firefox. Make sure you have the latest version of everything.

-------------------

Not a bad episode, if you ask me. I thought weaknesses came thru really well. I'm sure they pretty much know who they'll pick at this time.

Z-monster certainly showed there is some talent when she can't be understood by many of us who are watching. I enjoyed her song but standing in front of Tommy's drumset she'd just look like one of Tommy's women who wandered in looking for him.

Yep, bye bye Patrice. I liked her okay but she won't be able to front this band. They have been endlessly hard on her during the show. Time to cut her loose. She ain't all that bad really. Just her voice is not powerful enough for this.

Dilana sounds just right. Nice job on her song even though the lyrics were off. I sure didn't cry but I still enjoyed.

Toby's "yell" annoyed me. I liked the rest of his voice performance though. He could work.

Ryan was okay. I don't see him getting it since his voice is exactly the same song after song. That's not really a problem is you like what it sounds like. I just think it's okay and always have. But someone like Toby or Luckas has a much more dynamic range. Ryan's IN The Air wasn't much different from his Losing MY Religion.

Magni was good.

Storm was good. I don't care what the band says, that was a tough song and she did the best she could. Hell, it was disco!! I'd love a detailed example of what they wanted out of the person who got stuck with that lemon.

Lukas...not impressed this time. I liked Toby better.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think much of the Supernova song, plus I couldn't really make out the lyrics with Dilana singing. Weird.

But finally, our national musical nightmare is finally over!!!

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator
Whew! Now way Patrice goes home before Zayra. I like Patrice and she is a well established recording artist fronting a couple of bands that made great music, albeit not of this genre. I'm a huge fan and she's not right for this band but it would have been a slap in the face imo if she was sent packing before Zayra.

I think Dilana has great rock chops and if Supernova is indeed considering a female front, I think Dilana has it locked ahead of Storm. I thought she did a great job with their song.

Magni I can also see fronting this band and doing a good job. I like him far better than the other male finalists.

Toby and Storm still have a shot but I think Ryan and Lukas are definite no-nos, and Patrice won't make it through much longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks