Rock Salt...then you Sew the Lips Tight...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dave Scarpa, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    You Go Kolchak. Tonight I transferred some VHS copies of Kolchak the Night Stalker over to DVDR. Granted these are old Sci Fi Channel transfers cut for time, but even so what a hoot they were. I started with the classic episode "The Zombie" I had forgotten that alot of the Eps teleplays were written by David "Sopranos" Chase. And here the writing does not dissapoint. As the show went on and they ran out of major monsters they got Silly like in "The Sentry" with a Fake Alligator creature that made Trek's Gorn look like CGI. Still the dialog was sharp and the Lead performance by Mcgavin was very earnest.

Come on universal this classic series deserves a release. I can then donate my VHS Dubs over to the Waste Basket.

2. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

I (and MANY others) have been hoping for this one for a long time. I have the Night Stalker / Night Strangler DVD, and I'm holding my breath hoping that they'll come through with the rest of the series.

I'm watching one of the frequent marathons of the show on Sci-Fi at this very moment...

3. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

Kudos for your imaginatively titled thread. It certainly made me want to click on. Can I assume it refers to advice on how to deal with zombies (always useful information to have)?

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

With a thread title like that it could only be about Kolchak! I'd also like a complete series box set with commentary by Darren McGavin (while he's still with us.)

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yep I'm tivoing the marathon also I figure I''ll screen a few during Halloween. I'd love to get a set uncut with decent transfers. When you watch a show like NS with imaginitive scripts, witty snappy Dialog, and great acting it really makes you pine for the Days of classic TV. There's just so much crap on TV now that you really appreciate stuff like this

6. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

Always keep in mind, however...if said zombie should suddenly awaken during said ritual, the goal can still be accomplished by strangling said zombie while burning holy candles. :wink:

Tangent -- I love The X-Files (first 6 seasons in particular), but it's almost embarrassing how many concepts the show "borrowed" wholesale from other sources, including Kolchak. At least Chris Carter always had the decency to openly and specifically cite Kolchak as a deliberate influence. And, SO much of Mulder's personality was directly descended from Kolchak... Like the old saying goes...if you're gonna steal, at least steal from the best.

7. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I've always loved the intro/credits music for this series. Like the way I buy certain DVDs for the "memories factor," (The Car and the upcoming Race With the Devil), I'd buy Kolchak in a heartbeat! Lousy monsters half the time, but always FUN!