Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2004 Ceremony

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Peter Kim, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I just caught the last 15 minutes of this year's ceremony on VH1 (a taping of last week's live show). I knew Prince was inducted and was curious how the notorious recluse would make his appearance.

All I can say is...holy shit! I've cooled off Prince considerably over the years, not agreeing with his artistic direction of late. It's really not been since Sign o' the Times since I dug his stuff, and so I've lost track of his genius.

And music in general...blah. But tonight, lying in bed half dozed off, I slowly rose out of bed as Tom Petty and friends played their piece in tribute to George Harrison. In the 2nd piece as it bore full steam, Prince eventually emerged from the anonymous darkened far left of the stage and jammed solo.

It's been many years since music sent shivers down my spine, raised my goosebumps. Tonight, I was witness to a mesmerizing performance by an incredible, inimitable performer.

Does anyone know if these ceremonies are sold complete on dvd? I believe these VH1 shows are edited.

If you loved Prince in the past, catch his performance in this ceremony. I was amazed.

2. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

One of the better classes brought into the Hall of Fame IMO. Traffic, Harrison, Prince, Seager, Browne, The Dells, ZZ Top, great performances just a great 2 1/2 hours for us old farts.

3. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    I'm going to have to do a search and see when this is going to re-air.

Now I'm really excited that I'm going to see Prince next month when he comes to town.

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Jerry...it'll air 3 more times this week. Tonight at 10 pm CST, tomorrow at 6:30 pm CST, and Wednesday, 12 noon.

I'm still thinking about that last performance...and I didn't even watch 90% of the ceremony, much less the intro, where Prince performed 3 songs to start the show.

Whew...that guitar solo was fantastic, perhaps the best live I've ever seen from him! And he looked happy!

5. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Prince's guitar solo in the ensemble rendition of Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" was easily the single greatest performance on guitar I have ever heard in my entire life!!!!! Holy $#!&

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I had no idea Prince could play guitar like that!

Jimi Hendrix, Randy Rhodes, and Stevie Ray Vaugh must be smiling from above - it was truly magnificent!

6. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    I'm of two minds about Prince's solo during "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." On one hand, it was excellent and should be a reminder of what he is still capable of after years of coming close to "Michael Jackson weirdness" territory. On the other, it seemed inappropriate to showboat like that during what was supposed to be a tribute to George Harrison. He seemed as if he was trying very hard to make it the "Prince show" instead of being more respectful.

7. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Blouses win.

8. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

I wholeheartedly agree with Michael. I'm the biggest Prince fan I know, but I am a MUCH bigger BEATLE fan.

George's son looked in awe of having Prince on stage, but toward's the end, Tom Petty didn't look too happy.

C

9. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Isn't that how Petty always looks on and off stage? Seriously, every time I have seen him he always has the same stoic look. In fact during Prince's solo the camera caught Tom smiling at Prince several times. I also read a review of the actual concert and it said that the broadcast was misleading and that Petty loved Prince's performance. That said, I guess it wouldn't bother me one way or the other, the result was an unbelievably great performance highlighted by one the best guitar solos ever!

(and I'm not even much of a Prince fan, but after that performance I may have to give him another look)

10. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

[​IMG]

You and your crew....against me...and The Revolution

11. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Prince has always played tasty Hendrix-y lead guitar & is a great performer, but I did think his behavior was a distraction more than a tribute.

It was also eerie to see George Harrison's son who is the spitting image of a young George!