What's new

Rock Hudson Collection - Universal (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Haven't had a chance to watch the included five films yet, but the packaging is standard Universal practise. Once out of the slipcase the three panel fold out digipak contains three discs, two on one clear pane and one on the other. The Golden Blade ('53 & 1:33) and The Last Sunset ('61 & 1:85) share the first disc. Has Anyone Seen My Gal ('52 & 1:33) and A Very Special Favour ('65 & 1:85) are on the second disc and the third disc contains The Spiral Road ('62 & 2:35) by itself. There is no information on the packaging to indicate the OARs but it is on the discs - and the widescreen films are Anamorphic. There does not appear to be any extras of any sort but at least the discs are single sided. I have enjoyed most of his films and even the light hearted ones are entertaining - I've always liked his acting style. I think he deserves more exposure. Even if the films contained are minor I'll still watch almost anything from the eras in which these were made. Are there any other Rock Hudson fans out there? I'd like to hear more information about these particular films. Spiral Road sounds interesting with Burl Ives also in the cast.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I still like Hudson as a movie presence quite a bit. Unfortunately how he went out colors most people perceptions of him now, which is a shame. If anything I have more appreciation of his talents as an actor now.

Haven't seen any of these films ever. It may be a good time to look at the DDD price, what with the sale currently on. Glad to hear they are single sided.

I just looked these up in Maltins guide- Doug Sirk, Dalton Trumbo, Kirk Douglas, Leslie Caron, Piper Laurie...some great talent surrounding him in these, and ones an arabian nights adventure (!)- I'll definitely be ordering this- Thanks for bringing this one to attention Brent, It would slipped right by me otherwise

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
What you mention about Hudson reminded me of the Doris Day dvd It's Magic ( Image ) which originally aired on A&E. They showed clips from her show Doris Day And Friends and her first guest was Rock Hudson. It was difficult to imagine you were watching him as he passed away 2 months later and was in the last stages of his illness and was quite frail. You could see that Doris Day really cared about him though. Despite his personal life it was a sad sight.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
The Spiral Road was much better than I thought it would be, having never heard of it until now found it an above average drama - it's set around the area of Borneo and surrounding islands in 1936, Hudson is a newly trained doctor who wants to study under another well known doctor played by Burl Ives - who, incidently gives a very good performance, as does Hudson. Interesting story and recommended. The OAR is incorrectly listed as 2:35, it apprears to be 1:85. The film score is by Jerry Goldsmith.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The Spiral Road is about one of the plots of the book that was my favourite for many years after I first read it (when I was 17). It's by the Dutch writer Jan de Hartog, who also became reasonably popular in the US.
I read it so often, in those years, I can still recite large passages.

The film certainly isn't, and never could be, the whole book, but it does that particular subplot sufficiently justice, although there's a lot more to it.
Burl Ives is remarkable as the older doctor, and Rock Hudson, a lot younger and skinnier than you know him from most of his films (and I'm leaving it at that), is simply very good.

I saw this film on TV many years ago and I've never been able to acquire it on a video medium. So, I was thrilled to see it in this collection. It's coming my way (by plane, I guess) already.

For me, personally, this one film was worth almost all of the price of the box set. I haven't read that book for a long time, but I still hold it dearly as one of those pieces of art that partly formed me.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gbenito