What's new

Rock Concert DVD Releases (1 Viewer)

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I think this post is more appropriate in this forum than any other...

Can you folks recommend any recent DVD live concert releases (preferably with DTS tracks)?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The Cure: Trilogy

(But no DTS track... and, yes, I've found that DTS does tend to sound better.)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Joni Mitchells' Shadows and Light came out recently, but I didn't pick it up yet.

I haven't acquired any mainstream DVD concerts in ages...

KendallT

Agent
Led Zeppelin - 2 DVD set released this summer. Has concerts from 1970 thru 1979.

Issued along with the 3CD live sets from 2 shows in LA in June 1972 called "How the West Was Won" but the two share no same-show selections.

Absolutely Awesome!

Steve Crowley

Stunt Coordinator
Yes-Live at the House of Blues
Dreamtheater-Metropolis 2000
Stevie Ray Vaughn-Live at ElMocambo
Kansas-Kansas
Nine Inch Nails-And All that could have been
Stevie Ray Vaughn-Live at Austin City Limits
Metallica-With the SanFrancisco Symphony
Rush-Exit Stage Left
:emoji_thumbsup:

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
the allman brothers live at the beacon...it's long[almost 3 hours]but worth it[it also has a full bitrate DTS track btw]

Chat C

Agent
Alison Krauss & Union Station Live. 2DVD set.

- Filmed in High Definition 1.78 Aspect Ratio, enhanced for 16:9 TV's.
- DTS 5.1 & DD 5.1

Nine Inch Nails- And all that could have been. (DTS)

Iron Maiden- Rock in Rio (DTS)

Toto - Live In Amsterdam

Filmed during Spring 2003, this DVD was filmed as part of Toto's 25th Anniversary celebrations. Up to now, only one other DVD/Video had been released of the band live (1990's Toto-Live) and there couldn't be a more marked contrast. Good as Live was, this really is now the definitive Toto concert. Part of that is the return, 4 years ago, of original singer Bobby Kimball, who sounds better than ever, and part seems to be a mellowing over the years of the bands attitude. This isn't an all bells and whistles light and special effects show. Whilst the concert hall itself is gigantic, the atmosphere remains intimate and laid back and the crowd, throughout, seem to be having a fantastic time (something that can make or break a live filming). It's all about the music and the band are on stunning form, running through at least one song from each album they've released, if sometimes only as part of two giant medleys. All the hits are there, but some older, less well aired material is also included to keep fans happy. The musicianship is faultless, as most fans have come to expect. It's terrific to see a band that don't just run through a pre-rehearsed line up, trying to mimic their albums. Here, the band improvise throughout, taking the songs places even die hard fans won't have heard before. Best of all though, is just how much fan the band themselves seem to be having. After 25 years of media criticism, Jeff Porcaro's death, management problems and lead singers coming and going every few years, they'd be forgiven for just going through the motions these days. But they have never been better and never seemed more relaxed. It's a joy to behold for fans everywhere.

As a little extra, the disc also features a video diary of the Through The Looking Glass tour. Containing no commentary and being almost entirely filmed on a handheld home recorder, this gives a terrific little insight into the band behind the scenes. Whilst some of it is plain odd (the band bowling in Japan)and some a little dull (having a meal together), other parts are downright hilarious. especially when Steve Lukather gets anywhere near the camera, or a microphone! And I will just mention the Christmas song on the bus and say no more. I was in tears of laughter afterwards!!!

If you're a fan then you absolutely MUST buy this. If not, well, it's your loss...

Screen format: 16:9
Sound formats: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
ELO's Zoom Tour Live is absolutely the most awesome sounding and looking concert DVD I've ever seen. Outstanding production values and ELO's greatest songs played to perfection...in glorious DTS!

You have got to see (and HEAR!)this one to believe it.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Good picks folks...

I just can't believe that with all the record companies focusing their attention on prosecuting file-swappers, they haven't realized the potential market for HIGH QUALITY concert dvd's.

Hello execs. I didn't mind paying $35 for Heart - Alive In Seattle. In fact, I thought the price for that kind of quality was a 'steal'.

I am sure that the cost to produce a quality live concert dvd is high, but more of us have 'home theatre' now, and live video mixed with high quality sound is a natural for the technology.

Any other recommendations ? How about "Cult", "The Wall", "Peter Gabriel" ??

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I watched Heart-Alive In Seattle 3 times last night... worth every penny.

Ann your voice is still one of the most powerful rock voices I have ever heard and Nancy your guitar playing is exemplary. Proof that great things are appreciated more with time.

PQ and sound are stellar. Gotta love "Alone"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks