What's new

rocessor with "Summed" mono? (1 Viewer)

JayB

Grip
Is there a processor that has a super "mono" mode that takes all 5.1 channels of a DD or DTS source and consolidates and combines all signals into the single center channel -- so I can watch TV or DVD with ONLY the center channel playing--not all 5 channels--and still not lose any of the soundtrack?

rob-h

Second Unit
You dont even need a receiver for that!! Just run the stereo out from the DVD player to the stereo in of your TV!!!!

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
There is a THX sound processing field called Academy Mono that may be of interest, although it also applies the "Academy curve"-- rolled-off top-end and attenuated. bottom end. It's intended for use with older, mono films

rob-h

Second Unit
JeremyErwin, how many built in tv speakers can reproduce the LFE track???? By going with the stereo output of the DVD player he is getting all his TV can reproduce and he does not need anything else.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Given the following (unlikely) scenario:

The viewer has speakers capable of reproducing the entire range of the audio spectrum, or a daisychained-in subwoofer.
The viewer is using an older system only capable of stereo reproduction, or worse, prologic...
and
The viewer is watching a (incorrectly authored) DVD with susbstantial bass redirected to the LFE

The ability to add LFE into the stereo mixdown might be a valuable one-- some computer dvd players did support this.

For all I know, JayB might have taken the "your center channel is the most important one in your theatre" advice a mite bit too seriously, and skimped on the others...

Some inquiries on this forum just seem to prompt the inevitable

"Now why the hell would you want to do that?"

(in my own theater/living room, my display has built in speakers, but they aren't hooked up. "The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer" in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, baby!)

JayB

Grip
My original post wasn't clear enough. I want to use a projector-- no TV, no TV speakers. I meant watch Cable.

So, if i want to watch a news program at nite, I just want the sound to come from the center channel, not all 5 channels.

I think if I use the ANALOG outs of the cable box into an input of a processor that supports a MONO mode which forces the stereo signal to be played back through center channel only then I am fine. The original vision of a magical consolidation from 5.1DD into mono I don't think is supported by any prepro.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
generally, dolby prologic IIx movie will force most news programs to the center speaker. The "midnight" modes will also reduce dynamic range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks