What's new

Robotech: Protoculture Edition (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I own the Macross set times 3, and that was enough for me. I wondered if it had any new extras.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I haven't picked up the big combo box set but I did watch the first couple of episodes of the Macross saga as presented in this new "Robotech Remastered" version.

It was nice to see the new, crisp transfer and extra footage, but the sound, oh, the sound.

Peppered on top of the original mono and limited range soundtrack are gobs and gobs of very crisp, dynamic, loud and aggressively surround-mixed sound effects. The difference in sound quality is night and day and is very distracting. Lots of unimportant things that did not previously have sound effects now blip and bleep and clang, often drowning out dialogue.

After two episodes I couldn't stand it anymore and got rid of my Remastered DVDs. I'm keeping my DVDs of the shows as originally shown, as well as the ADV Macross set.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I saw this set over at Best Buy for around $89.99 and while the exterior packaging is very cheaply made but the interior packaging that holds the DVD's is very attractive.

I am surprised that this is the first time that I've seen anyone talk Anime TV Shows. Do they qualifiy to be discussed because I could everyone updated on upcoming TV DVD shows for anime ....

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb

You're speaking specifically about the previous "Robotech Remastered" set and not the new Protoculture Edition correct? I wonder if the new set is any different.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

Unless I'm wrong, all this is is a repackaging of the "Robotech Remastered" DVDs, which were released individually and not as a set (until now).

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb

Eh, whatever. Some anime shows seem to have an American identity separate enough from their Japanese counterparts that I could just as easily see them considered a normal TV show in the HTF sense.

We talk about Transformers and Thundercats here. I don't see much difference with Robotech. Macross maybe, but not Robotech.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Then TV Anime belong in this forum as well. Since you stated that this anime belongs int the forum as posted earlier up above then that includes this one. The industry has been releasing approximately 30-50 TV Anime boxed sets per year so there needs to be some distinction made.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Anime stuff occasionally get's posted in this forum, usually when talking about problems, or for asking for an opinion.

There are also individual threads in the Movies forum for anime movies as well.

Some probably don't want to go through the monster thread looking for some stuff. It is good for the regulars, but the average person probably would be better off with the individual threads. (That is, until there is a seperate forum for Anime...)

Jason

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I guess if a distinction had to be made, is that the shows used for Robotech originated as anime: Japanese-produced for the Japanese market. Thundercats and Transformers, while animated overseas, were produced by Americans for the US market (at first/primarily).

Users who are viewing this thread