What's new

Robocop vs. Robocop (pics included) (1 Viewer)

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
So if one were to purchase the trilogy set, you get the extened violence for the first movie? My friend wants to get Robocop but I made the mistake of mentioning the Criterion which is pretty hard to find.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The Criterion version is NOT anamorphic.
Hmmm... But reading through the earlier posts, still seems that even with 2.0 audio and non-anamorphic video, a lot of people preferred the Criterion version over the MGM release.

I thought I had an older "regular" edition, but I checked and I do have the Criterion. Maybe I'll give it a spin and see if it still looks and sounds good to me.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Kevin C Brown said:
Hmmm... But reading through the earlier posts, still seems that even with 2.0 audio and non-anamorphic video, a lot of people preferred the Criterion version over the MGM release.
The Criterion (leaving out the fact that it's long out of print and therefore a highly collectable item...not to mention very expensive) is preferred because while it isn't anamorphic, the film looks the way it was intended to. It's hard to argue with that, and I wouldn't want to. Altered anamorphic vs. original non-anamorphic...people have their choice, and it's valid and understandable regardless of what that choice is.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
The criterion DVD (and LD) is the version to have. The right ratio, right color and no contrast boosting like the MGM version.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Watched the film again last night.
Goddamnit I love this film, ever since I was 6. (yup, saw it when I was way too young for it) and I cannot grasp two things:
1. Sony was stupid enough to consider and rightfully cancel plans for a remake (!)
2. This film will be 20 years old this summer!
To me, the film is just about perfect. And so quotable - Spot-on delivery of classic line after classic line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks