Robocop Unrated/NC17-only on Criterion?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Bardon, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Is there any way to get the unrated version of Robocop without tracking down (and shelling out for) the OOP criterion? I remember hearing about an unrated MGM release, but haven't seen it around. Any information?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

MGM has released it in the UK, this along with about 5 or 6 other great SEs are languishing in limbo for the US, including The Great Escape, Misery and more.

3. Jon Smith

Jon Smith Stunt Coordinator

except the R2 features integrated branching instead of seamless, so its big time pause there !!

to be honest i dont think the extra scenes add much to the movie, sure theres more violence, but you its pretty violent anyway.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Jon, actually it has a sincere change to the film. The additional violence changes it from just being an ultra-violent film to a vicious self-parody

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

6. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

i counted less than 10 seconds of additional footage, but I do think it is good to have this version, I have the LD and need to now get the DVD unrated version.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

8. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I also much prefer the unrated cut. I have the Criterion disc, but I would gladly buy a new SE from MGM if they ever get around to releasing it over here, as long as they fix the branching.

9. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

10. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I absolutely prefer the Criterion version of Robocop.

11. Daniel*T

Daniel*T Auditioning

The Criterion version is still pretty easy to find -- about as easy to find as the Criterion "Silence of the Lambs." In fact, one online retailer (DVD Empire, maybe?) had a batch for sale just a few weeks ago.

12. Declan

Declan Second Unit

13. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

The "Murphy killing/torture" scene has at least double that alone. The other changes are only a few seconds, though.

From the IMDB:

"The most extensively cut sequences involves the murder of Peter Weller's character, Murphy. The director's cut is almost a full minute longer. It shows Murphy's arm being shot off (cut completely from the R-rated version) and also includes an elaborate tracking shot that shows the back of his head exploding into the camera when he is finally shot by Clarence Boddicker."

14. Nicholas Iacano

The director version of RoboCop is wonderful.

There's no 'added violence' -that's how the film was shot and the censors thought we shouldn't see it.

The Criterion disc is the definitve version as the UK and Australian discs are faulty. The 'seamless' branching is not very seamless seamless.

MGM will no doubt get around to releasing it in the USA since they now own most of the Orion rights.

15. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    Another vote for the minor cuts making a big difference to the tone of the film. Imagine if the beheadings had been removed from Starship Troopers: would it have been as ridiculous? (I mean that in a good way.)

The sequence near the opening with ED-209 where it just keeps shooting and shooting and shooting and shooting is so overkill that it really does become gruesomely funny.

And that animatronic Weller is great.

16. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I may be the only one, but I actually prefer the theatrical cut. I would love to own the Criterion cut (my brother sold his long ago...before that all I had to do was borrow it when I was in the mood), but I honestly think Verhoeven went overkill on the gore. The theatrical cut always came across to me as a parody anyways. It'a a brilliant film no matter which cut, but I don't really think the gore adds anything except a little more black humor to a movie already full of it.

What has become of Verhoeven's brilliance anyways? I just caught Hollow Man last week, and while the FX were great, it was so average I was amazed when I remembered he was the director.

Anybody ever had an explanation as to why all these flicks (Robocop, Raging Bull, Great Escape, etc) are still in R2 only limbo?

17. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

18. Nicholas Iacano

Misery is out in Region 2 in France and a few other Region 2 countries (both in plain and SE versions).

For those on a tight budget the same SE release is available in Denmark at a great price (it is anamorphic -it's listed incorrectly).

19. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I don't have any problem with the theatrical cut, but I do prefer the director's cut because when I first watched it I found that the additions made the editing go a bit smoother.

20. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter