What's new

Robocop cars (1 Viewer)

DaveZ

Grip
Hi folks!

I just finished watching my critereon DVD of Robocop and was wondering what cars were used for the 6000 SUX. Does anyone know? Thanks~!

KyleK

Second Unit
I don't know what car it is, but I think it's humorous how it sounds like 6000 sucks(SUX). :D
BTW, one of my favorite movies.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
The 6000 SUX was custom built by Gene Winfield/Rod & Custom (it's mentioned in the credits). However, I'm sure that they would have built it around an existing car's chassis, but I have no idea which one...

Paul W

Second Unit
When this movie came out, a friend of mine swore the interior looked very much like a Mark VI.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I don't remember off hand what the car is, but I think that Paul talks about the car for the film as well as mentioning what type of car they used in the commentary found on the DVD.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I THINK (it has been a while since I listened to the audio commentary) that Verhoeven indentified the cars are Ford Taurus' :D
(but I have a fuzzy memory... someone back me up [or shoot me down]) :D

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
The Ford Taurus' are used for the police cars, not the 6000 SUX (which was the big luxury car with ridiculously bad gas mileage...)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the 6000 SUX was based off of one of the original designs for the Detroit police cars. They were built around the Camaro concept, but didn't work as police vehicles.

The police cars used in the film are Ford Taurus SHOs (according to a website or two).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
You guys wanna hear just how badly the 6000 SUX sucks? :D Check out the scene when Clarence and his goons are randomly blowing stuff up with the Cobra assault cannons, when Clarence checks the tracking meter and says "He's in the steel mill, let's go.", watch as he opens the door to the 6000 SUX and you'll clearly see the rear view mirror fall off! :laugh:
I have no idea if this was intentional, but if it's not, it's a damn funny, and fitting, accident! :laugh:

Paul W

Second Unit
While it is certain the police cars were not the SHO variant, they were a Ford Taurus prototype that pre-dated the release of the Taurus by one year (1988 I think).

This explains why the headlights are the old-style round sealed-beam headlights.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Good call on the Probe being in Robocop 2. I get 'em mixed up sometimes. ;)
The movie was supposed to have custom-built police cars built on Camaro chassis. However, the day the first car arrived on the set, everybody took one look at it and burst into laughter. The decision was then made to use the Ford Taurus SHO. ED-209's angry growl was actually that of a black panther.
~ via IMDb.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Car and Driver magazine had an article about the Robocop police cars. The writers got to drive them around and if I remember right they were stock vehicles just dressed up: there were no engine modifications.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I believe that the 6000SUX was built on a Lincoln Town Car chassis. I believe that the cars were used when purchased for production, and then the body was reworked. So they were (I think four SUX's were built in total) all 84 or 85 models.

Mind you, It's been roughly a decade since I learned this and nothing can be confirmed. Just trying to be helpful.

The police cruisers were early Ford Taurus's (Taurusi?) that had OCP door badges and a coat of flat-black spray paint. On at least one shot you can see some bad over-spray onto the glass. (This is all in the Criterion DVD Comentary).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks