What's new

Robocop: 20th Anniversary CE Aug. 21, Both Cuts Included (1 Viewer)

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
Just to be clear: in the extended cut, the gore scenes are added, but are the deleted scenes also edited back into the film? I'm just trying to see if this is worth the upgrade from that three-pack from a few years ago.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member

Which deleted scenes? The nun on the street, the "I'll buy that for a dollar" pizza commercial and all that crap? No, those are just seperate, thankfully. The extended version is the same as the previous MGM and Criterion presentations of Verhoven's approved director's cut.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I posted on the DVDTalk RoboCop thread that last week I got this a week early thanks to a local Wal Mart breaking the release date.

ALL CANADIAN BUYERS BEWARE!!!

I bought, exchanged, returned again and got my money refunded on this new steelbook release, when I discovered a MASSIVE defect that is now widespread throughout all of Canada:

The defect is this - Disc 1 and Disc 2 are exactly the same, both are disc 1. Except that they have the correct labels, so open the case and you will see discs 1 and 2, but disc 2 is just disc 1 with the disc 2 label on it.

Sounds a bit confusing, I know, but that's the defect.

The Steelbook case is American made, while the discs are Canadian made, therefore it seems to be a problem within Canada only.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Simple. The RoboCop logo may be a trademark that was originally owned by Orion and it's possible that MGM didn't purchase the rights to the logo when they bought the Orion library. I suspect this is the case because The Princess Bride logo has never been used on any of the MGM releases and was part of the same purchase (as the video rights to The Princess Bride were owned by Nelson Entertainment, which was bought by Orion. FWIW, Nelson Entertainment was the successor to Embassy Video, which owned the rights to This Is Spinal Tap, as both films were partially financed by Norman Lear, who founded Embassy Television).

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Can't find any reviews!
No Sunday ads. At WM for twenty bucks.
I don't know about this. Don't want a blue cropped pic!
DTS could be SWEET though!
Any dropouts???

EDitEDbyED:
The reason this edition does not use the "original" art work, is because this is not the original release. Not theatrical, not Home Video, not even the original SD DVD. This has been released, like four times before on SD DVD. Imagine five releases with the same original art, wouldn't that be original?
This is the 20TH Anniversary release, hence the original cover art for this original release.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Has anyone actually seen this in stores (besides the poster who got it last week a Wal-Mart). I've been to several stores and none of them received any stock. One guy today (at an FYE) questioned whether or not it might be a timed-exclusive only available at another retailer for a few weeks

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

That was me.

I haven't seen it in any stores since its official release yesterday, but hopefully they've been recalled here in Canada.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I had no problem finding a copy at my local Best Buy on the day of release.

Someone asked for a comparison to the existing MGM and Criterion discs. Here are some screen captures from both the R-rated theatrical and unrated extended versions of the film, taken from this new DVD. Both versions look identical to my eye. I sought out the same frames used on DVD Beaver's comparison page, so you can easily compare them to the existing releases. I've resized the images to the correct 16:9 ratio, but manipulated them in no other way and saved them as JPEG with the absolute minimum level of compression.

Theatrical version:

screen 0
screen 1
screen 2
screen 3
screen 4
screen 5
screen 6

Extended version:

screen 0
screen 1
screen 2
screen 3
screen 4
screen 5
screen 6

troy evans

Screenwriter
Man, I completely agree. I'd love the tv series. I even own the four made for tv Canadian films and I have to say each one of them puts the third film to shame. Hmmm, now that I think about it, I guess technically there are 7 feature films.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Actually, those four films were produced as one single TV mini-series, RoboCop: Prime Directives, which aired on the Sci-Fi Channel, and (unfortunately) released on DVD as four separate installments, at least here in the U.S. Sure wish they'd put out a single, unified set of that one.

Great writing and storyline, which completely recaptures the feeling of the original Verhoeven film. Totally agree that it puts the third (and -- to an extent -- the second) movie utterly to shame.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu

Indeed. While the third part of the miniseries fell down with the subplot of those mysterious technomage-like people, it was still pretty good. Too bad it doesn't get the respect it truly deserves.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Wha....?

I'm not sayin' nothin' about RoboCop: PD.

The less I say about that the better...to each their own.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the work, Carl!

What's BB selling this for?

Miss the 1.66:1 framing.
Doesn't look tooooo bluuuuue.
How's the DTS?
Thought this would be the same source that was used for the ill-fated BD.
Looks... OK!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks