What's new

Pre-Order Robocop (1987) (2-disc Limited Edition Steelbook) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
814-gO5-sCL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Arrow’s release pattern for items like this is generally to put out a multi disc limited edition set in limited quantities, and then later on, to release a single disc non-limited version with just disc 1 of the limited edition set.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I don't know how much better this film can be visually as the original looks terrible and this release was produced from a scanned negative.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is this the only 4K version? I'd like to own RoboCop at some point in 4K. But a $40+ steelbook doesn't excite me and my backlog keeps me from impulse buying presently.

Or is the good enough to get an prior blu-ray purchase?

Though what I prefer when buying is disc with MoviesAnywhere code.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is 4K only. Arrow rarely does multi format combo packs, unfortunately. It’s from the same 4K master that was used for the Blu-ray they put out several years ago. I think the BD edition is perfectly fine. It wasn’t a high budget film and the limitations of the lenses and film stocks used means that there probably isn’t 4K worth of information on the 35mm negative to begin with. There were also two prior editions put out on BD by MGM directly. The earlier one is from an older master and is to be avoided if possible. The second one is from the same 4K master that Arrow has used on all of their releases.

One caveat - the Arrow limited edition BD is sold out, only the standard edition remains available. The limited edition included the unrated director’s cut (only a few seconds longer, includes more graphic violence), plus the theatrical cut in HD and the television edit in SD. The standard edition only includes the director’s cut. I don’t know if having the multiple versions is a priority for you.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Arrow’s release pattern for items like this is generally to put out a multi disc limited edition set in limited quantities, and then later on, to release a single disc non-limited version with just disc 1 of the limited edition set.
I can't speak to Robocop specifically but it's also pretty standard for Arrow's more popular titles to be sold out right around the release date until they make or ship some more of the limited edition ones to retailers. Anyone who hasn't gotten one should wait and see if some more copies go to Amazon, etc. before resorting to eBay... if they can't/don't want to simply wait for the one without a box.

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I pre-ordered the box of junk edition directly from Arrow in December and received three unsolicited emails from them informing me that my order hasn't shipped. They emailed me on March 30, April 2 and April 9. After the second, "we're sorry your order hasn't shipped" email I wrote to them asking if there's a problem with my order since I was getting these emails prior to street date. Their reply was strange. "I am really sorry that this has not yet been dispatched. Robocop - Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD is on special order for you with our supplier but at this time they are unable to give me a date for when they will have it back in stock." "Back in stock?" That was on April 7, five days before it was supposed to street. Why would my copy be on "special order" from the distributor?

All this time, it's been stuck in "Processing" and "Awaiting Stock Pick.". I got fed up with them and asked them to cancel the order. They said they did, but I immediately got an email that said it couldn't be cancelled. Then I was told to wait 2-3 days. I did and it still said "Processing" and "Awaiting Stock Pick" so I wrote to them again asking them to cancel it. They replied saying the order was cancelled and I should have an email stating that. I never received a separate email and, you guessed it, the order still says "Processing" and "Awaiting Stock Pick."

I can't recommend ordering from Arrow.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I pre-ordered the box of junk edition directly from Arrow in December and received three unsolicited emails from them informing me that my order hasn't shipped. They emailed me on March 30, April 2 and April 9. After the second, "we're sorry your order hasn't shipped" email I wrote to them asking if there's a problem with my order since I was getting these emails prior to street date. Their reply was strange. "I am really sorry that this has not yet been dispatched. Robocop - Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD is on special order for you with our supplier but at this time they are unable to give me a date for when they will have it back in stock." "Back in stock?" That was on April 7, five days before it was supposed to street. Why would my copy be on "special order" from the distributor?

All this time, it's been stuck in "Processing" and "Awaiting Stock Pick.". I got fed up with them and asked them to cancel the order. They said they did, but I immediately got an email that said it couldn't be cancelled. Then I was told to wait 2-3 days. I did and it still said "Processing" and "Awaiting Stock Pick" so I wrote to them again asking them to cancel it. They replied saying the order was cancelled and I should have an email stating that. I never received a separate email and, you guessed it, the order still says "Processing" and "Awaiting Stock Pick."

The one time I've had trouble ordering directly from Arrow's website, was with the special edition 4K UHD of Deep Red last October. On that particular occasion, there was a bit of too-ing and fro-ing with strange emails and such before the release date, but it eventually turned up after a couple of months. The other five releases I've ordered from them, have shipped just fine.

Ordering directly from Arrow has been the only sure way for me to get hold of some of the limited edition sets, as Amazon never manages to get any of the high-demand ones in stock on release date. And you don't necessarily know in advance which ones are going to be in high demand, if postings on this thread are anything to go by. The Robocop steelbook has been available for pre-order for months on Amazon, with the price being heavily discounted - it was going for $15 less than the box-set, only three weeks ago. And it didn't seem as though anyone was really interested between December and yesterday - until it suddenly was sold out.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Is this the only 4K version? I'd like to own RoboCop at some point in 4K. But a $40+ steelbook doesn't excite me and my backlog keeps me from impulse buying presently.

My summary from my review:

"As for the 4K’s Dolby Vision image, it brought a good boost. This meant superior delineation, colors and blacks. Given the nature of the source, no one should expect revelations, but the 4K did demonstrate improvements. "

The 4K also comes with a new Atmos remix.

Britton

Screenwriter

I went with DiabolikDVD and it arrived a few days prior to 4/12. They also packaged it incredibly well (bubble wrap inside a box), so no smashed corners, dents, etc… In other words, it was in mint condition! This was my first time buying from them and it won’t be my last.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
After telling me my order was cancelled and I should get an email confirming that, Arrow is now telling me again it should be 2-3 days before that is reflected in my account. It was 2-3 days last week as well. Now they're going to have the internal support team look into it.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

The one time I've had trouble ordering directly from Arrow's website, was with the special edition 4K UHD of Deep Red last October. On that particular occasion, there was a bit of too-ing and fro-ing with strange emails and such before the release date, but it eventually turned up after a couple of months. The other five releases I've ordered from them, have shipped just fine.

Ordering directly from Arrow has been the only sure way for me to get hold of some of the limited edition sets, as Amazon never manages to get any of the high-demand ones in stock on release date. And you don't necessarily know in advance which ones are going to be in high demand, if postings on this thread are anything to go by. The Robocop steelbook has been available for pre-order for months on Amazon, with the price being heavily discounted - it was going for $15 less than the box-set, only three weeks ago. And it didn't seem as though anyone was really interested between December and yesterday - until it suddenly was sold out.

For what it's worth, I also have had strange ordering experiences with Arrow and Zavvi (both are owned by the same parent company). It's clear they use an outsourced customer service agency who strictly follow a script from which they cannot deviate (until it gets escalated to someone in-country).

For example, last year I received a bunch of emails like the ones Neil received about "we're sorry your order hasn't shipped," which I found strange since the movie wasn't set to release for over a month. Of course it hasn't shipped--it's not due for five weeks! So I emailed them and it was like pulling teeth to get the info I was looking for (is the release delayed?). Eventually they gave me a $10 off coupon code that I absolutely didn't ask for "for the inconvenience" (which I didn't suffer). Ultimately, the movie still came early.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Though what I prefer when buying is disc with MoviesAnywhere code.

By my count, there are two versions of the new release: a steelbook and a non-steelbook (might be a mediabook--I haven't seen any good beauty shots). Both seem to still be available here in Canada. Both versions are about $60 CAD.

I've seen a few copies of the 2019 blu-ray steelcase (the limited edition the other Josh referenced in post #7) out in the wild (as recently as a few weeks ago). So you might be able to find one in a brick and mortar store if you are willing to hunt a bit.

I bought the steelbook version and can confirm it's a great looking release.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I pre-ordered the 2 disc non steelbook from Amazon in late March and received it on April 12th, even though Amazon said to expect it on the 26th.

I was a little scared when I played the disc because the opening of the film consists of two TV segments and they looked worse than VHS quality. Granted 1987 was a long time ago but I don't remember it looking this bad when I saw it theatrically.

Fortunately, after those first two scenes the film looks fantastic. The colors and dynamic range are fantastic and fine detail is pretty good on the theatrical version.

The notes in the enclosed book state that only the theatrical version was provided in 4k and that a separate company scanned in the additional scenes in 4k for the directors version. Those scenes are a tad darker and muddier, not horrible, but certainly noticeable.

I don't own the previous Arrow blu-ray so I can't say wether or not it's worth a double-dip, but I am very happy with this release.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I got my 4K steelbook from BB, shipped in a box, so no dents.
Today I stopped by one of my local B&N stores and found some Arrow releases, including the hard-to-find Robocop 4K steelbook release.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Deep Discount had the standard 2-disc set in stock at a fine price. I ordered it yesterday and it shipped today.

Silly me thinking if I ordered from Arrow I might get it early. Never again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Deep Discount had the standard 2-disc set in stock at a fine price. I ordered it yesterday and it shipped today.

Silly me thinking if I ordered from Arrow I might get it early. Never again.
I almost did that yesterday, but thought better of it.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
If anyone is still doubting whether a 4K UHD edition of a recently released blu-ray version would sell, then notice that both of Arrow Video's 4K UHD versions (the steelbook and the limited edition boxset) of Robocop are out of print in the US. The limited edition 4K UHD box set released in April 2022 had exactly the same supplements as the limited edition blu-ray, released in November 2019. The only difference is the 4K UHD. (The UK site still has the 4K UHD limited edition box for sale). There is obviously a healthy market in the US for collectors of cult films on 4K discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks