Robinson Crusoe On Mars

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billy Fogerty, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

Is there word anywhere that this will be out on dvd? Would make a good dvd if done right.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

No word on this absolutely lovely gem of a film. However, there might be hope. To wit: First Men in the Moon (1964) is on the way, and it appeals to the very same demographic. And in another development, Crusoe played here in Los Angeles in 35mm recently, on a double bill with Destination Moon (which is on DVD).

Given the enthusiast-market demand for these small SF titles, I think Robinson Crusoe on Mars has a very good chance of seeing DVD light of day.

3. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jack. I remember seeing it when it came out. It was in scope, and looked great. I can't remember what studio made it. AMC has ran it, but is is full screen, and just doesn't seem right.

4. Jack Briggs

Well, pan-and-scan is never right, Billy! [​IMG] Yes, the only way to see this genuinely fun little film is in widescreen. Love those evening Martian landscapes and those manta-shaped spaceships blasting at the rock and then darting ever which way.

5. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Criterion's somewhat legendary and very rare laserdisc is one of the highest priced laserdiscs on Ebay, up there with The Magnificent Ambersons and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.
    Laserdisc details
    It seems unlikely Criterion will come out with this on DVD (although never say never, given the recent deals struck with USA Films, Wellspring and Kino Video, as well as a rumoured Columbia-TriStar release), but they have expressed interest of releasing their commentary tracks separately, hopefully in the form of mp3s on their website.

6. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I seem to recall in a PARAMOUNT chat that the original elements were either lost, or destroyed in a fire, or so they said. (they didnt sound too thrilled w/ releasing it)
    I would think then that CRITERIONS master, if the last surviving one of any quality, could be digitally spruced up and released to DVD...

7. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I wish I could have afforded to buy the laserdisc when it came out, I definitely can't afford it now. If Paramount does indeed have the rights to this film, I really think they should look into releasing this film on laser as it is one of the best and most unique sci-fi films ever made.

8. Jack Briggs

Well, then, given Paramount's apathy and the job The Criterion Collection did with the LD, this sounds like a fine opportunity for the specialty house to consider bringing this title to DVD. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

9. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I saw this movie years ago, late night on some pay cable channel. I loved it. Gimmie an oxygen pill, and an OAR transfer and I'm all set.

10. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

I really hope Paramount Home Entertaiment licenses this one to Criterion.

I have the nice two-disc laserdisc set and a note on the back says: