Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves; correct aspect ratio?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dan Hinson, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Dan Hinson

Dan Hinson Stunt Coordinator

Jul 13, 2002
    Dan Hinson
    I finally got around to listening to Kevin Reynolds & Costner’s audio commentary for Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I noticed that Reynolds stated that they were viewing the film in 1.66:1, and he even briefly discussed with Costner how such an aspect ratio was more “vertical” than the wider ratios that are usually seen. This immediately captured my attention, as the DVD is clearly either 1.85:1 or 1.78:1.

According to IMDB, the aspect ratio is 1.85:1, but that simply adds to the confusion, as Reynolds was quite specific in his commentary that the film was 1.66:1. For those that have the DVD, give the commentary a listen. Reynolds mentions the aspect ratio near the beginning of the film, and he and Costner spend 2 or 3 minutes discussing it.

So, what’s the deal here with the aspect ratio, and what is the correct ratio for this film?
  2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Jul 14, 1999
    Chad Rouch
    Probably intended to be 1.66:1, but that's an impractical aspect ratio for most North American theaters. They are used to it being either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 and may not have, or know where, the 1.66 plate is. That's why IMDB lists 1.85, since virtually every theater showed it at that.

Reynolds was porbably watching the 1.78 version and since it's virtually very close couldn't tell the difference and just assumed it's his preferred ratio.
  3. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

Jul 22, 2002
    Being pro-oar is just damned confusing sometimes, isn't it. Now we can see why it is sometimes hard to convert someone from the full screen ranks.